Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld CIRA's EPP Migration ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When it comes to expired domains it will be a real fun time discerning which registrar has what rules. Instead of the blanket rule we all knew and was in place across registrars we will have a mixed bag and it will be up to us to know what each registrar does.

CIRA makes one thing potentially easier while screwing up something else. What a surprise!

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

The buyer initiated the 'rant change' and Webnames appears to have approved it even though it was still in our name. It is going to the lawyers today.

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The buyer initiated the 'rant change' and Webnames appears to have approved it even though it was still in our name. It is going to the lawyers today.

Wow this is a mess... How did you get notified about this change??

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

I'm sure that if you complained to CIRA, they would have it corrected immediately. :undecided:

Was the domain already registered at webnames, or did the buyer and webnames transfer it there?

Last edited:

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So we never log into CIRA anymore?

Just the registrar?

please clarify,

-=DCG=-

CanSpace

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Amusing considering they usually justify their exorbitantly high fees by claiming to be the most safe, secure, etc...

While removing CIRA from most transactions does generally simplify things... there are dangers. Such as this example...

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

Should you not say "still available for redemption" ?

Another change made exclusively for the benefit of the registrars - to legally extort a redemption fee.
We've never charged a higher 'redemption fee'.

That being said, it's up to the registrant to renew their domains before expiry. Assuming they were given plenty of notice and still chose not to renew, I wouldn't call this 'extortion' by any means.

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So we never log into CIRA anymore?

Just the registrar?

please clarify,

-=DCG=-

Correct (There is no login page)

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

We've never charged a higher 'redemption fee'.

That being said, it's up to the registrant to renew their domains before expiry. Assuming they were given plenty of notice and still chose not to renew, I wouldn't call this 'extortion' by any means.

Wild West charges an $80. (plus renewal fee) for "recovery" for non .ca's

With the freedom from restrictions, it's difficult to imagine the money-grabbing won't start in the .ca space.

CIRA's entire structure has been created exclusively by Canada's most influential registrars.

There is NO input by the people paying the freight.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow this is a mess... How did you get notified about this change??

Just about the minute CIRA went back online we got a confirmation of the change, showing the buyer as the registrant, with our unique e-mail address with name servers still in the record.

Shortly after that, they then changed the rest.

westcoaster

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
renewed a couple of .net and 4 dotca. at Sibername. received confirmation of the renwals for the nets but no confirmation yet on the dotcas renewals

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It would be nice if we could login to CIRA to view our names. I have domains that i kept track of through CIRA to know which registrar they were at.

Now... i have no idea. Since TBR names can be picked up by any registrar.

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
renewed a couple of .net and 4 dotca. at Sibername. received confirmation of the renwals for the nets but no confirmation yet on the dotcas renewals

Does anyone know what's happening at Sibername?

We're looking like schmucks waiting to process a sale.

It would be nice if we could login to CIRA to view our names. I have domains that i kept track of through CIRA to know which registrar they were at.

I'm still waiting to hear of a single advantage for having gone through all this malarkey.

westcoaster

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am still waiting for confirmation of my renewals at Sibername. 15 hours and counting

CanSpace

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

You can still go right to CIRA's home page and just do a WHOIS to see which registrar has the domain: http://www.cira.ca/home-en

Does anyone know what's happening at Sibername?

We're looking like schmucks waiting to process a sale.

I'm still waiting to hear of a single advantage for having gone through all this malarkey.

The changes required on the registrar side are quite comprehensive. They may still be implementing them.

And to be perfectly honest, I agree. We went through a lot of effort for this upgrade and don't really see a significant benefit to us or our registrants.

I suppose from CIRA's perspective they may have benefited slightly as they have been removed from most day-to-day transactions. I'm not convinced this is entirely beneficial though. For registrars who know what they are doing this is great... but there are tons of smaller ones out there who have no idea.

For example we have had tons of orders today from cilents who want to transfer their domains to us but they can't seem to get the auth code from their current registrar. In the past this wasn't an issue as the previous registrar wasn't involved in transfers. And CIRA doesn't mandate that auth codes have to be available online, so some smaller registrars haven't bothered adding a way to view them to their systems.. they simply wait for the registrant to manually contact them and ask for it.

Last edited:

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
CanSpace you are assuming under certain circumstances where i know which domains i own...

honestly though there are names which i pick up in TBR that i forget about so... What is my option now?

thebutler

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
CanSpace you are assuming under certain circumstances where i know which domains i own...

honestly though there are names which i pick up in TBR that i forget about so... What is my option now?

You can try this link.

https://services.cira.ca/DotCaManager/dcm/home.action

I couldn't because the great folks at CIRA updated the system and I can't access it on my old mac because of browser issues. And I can't update my browsers (processor/OS issue) so basically CIRA says hey buddy buy a new machine, f you. I have the same issue domains spread out because of TBR wins. When they renew I move them over to one main account.

CanSpace

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hmm... interesting question.

Previously we could do a contact search directly at the registry level to get all the contacts associated with an email address, then we could just pull up all the domains associated with those contacts (even if they weren't registered with us). We automated this process and it was pretty straightforward.

Now there is no way to do a contact search that I can see.. either via our EPP API or directly through CIRA's web interface for registrars. The only way to find out about a contact is to first look up the domain and then get the associated contact ID's (and not the other way around). Even if you knew the exact contact ID, there is still no way that I can see for us (or you) to find out which domains it is associated with.

So to be honest if you 'forgot' about a domain you may be out of luck. You'd only find out about it when you finally got a message from CIRA or your registrar about it being close to expiry...

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

You can try this link.

https://services.cira.ca/DotCaManager/dcm/home.action

I couldn't because the great folks at CIRA updated the system and I can't access it on my old mac because of browser issues. And I can't update my browsers (processor/OS issue) so basically CIRA says hey buddy buy a new machine, f you. I have the same issue domains spread out because of TBR wins. When they renew I move them over to one main account.

That link is the .CA Manager for registrars.. I don't believe end users have access to it.

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
And CIRA doesn't mandate that auth codes have to be available online

Unbelievable.

As posted earlier, registrars ARE able then to hold domains hostage.

And this system is change for the sake of change.

Not only are there NO benefits, there are serious flaws.

There's only 3 people on this forum who voiced concerns about this crap.

Meanwhile, Byron and friends will be toasting their triumph at Club Med this winter on my dime.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MarkMonitor Canada is very happy with this new system one would think.

CanSpace

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Unbelievable.

As posted earlier, registrars ARE able then to hold domains hostage.

From CIRA's registrar guide:

To initiate a transfer request, the Registrant first requests a domain name authorization code
("authInfo") from the losing Registrar, who must provide it within 5 days of a request and remove
any registry domain name transfer prohibition (reset "clientTransferProhibited"). The losing
Registrar cannot cancel the request, and there is no pending period.
Personally I think that registrars should be forced to always have it available online to clients (as we do), however there are some registrars who have no automated interface at all so I guess CIRA saw this as an unreasonable demand....

There are also new "locks" that we can place on domains... I forgot to mention this earlier, and I don't know if anyone else is aware of them. But as that quote mentions, "clientTransferProhibited" is one of them. In theory it's supposed to be the registrant (ie the "client") who requests the registrar add this lock for security reasons.

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Also not mentioned is the public or private whois option has disappeared.

We made a change to the contact info on a public domain, and as a result, it was automatically changed to private.

Back to the registrar to make it public.

EVERYTHING has gone over to the control of the registrar.

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

There are also new "locks" that we can place on domains... I forgot to mention this earlier, and I don't know if anyone else is aware of them. But as that quote mentions, "clientTransferProhibited" is one of them. In theory it's supposed to be the registrant (ie the "client") who requests the registrar add this lock for security reasons.

One more gem on 10dollar's site:

"A domain transfer process may take 7-10 business days to complete.
The current Registrar of the domain can decline the transfer if you are in default of payment with them. "

Yup, none of this was done to benefit the registrars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom