Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

IDN's dropping like flies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Summit 2024

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
In case you didn't bother to read the article from Law.com

Non-English Letters in Domain Names Could Lead to Data Theft, Break Internet

By Derek Gatopoulos

The Associated Press

11-02-2006

The organization that oversees global Internet functions warned Wednesday that a mistake in creating more Web addresses using non-Latin letters could "permanently break the Internet."
The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, or ICANN, made the warning at a U.N.-organized conference on the future of the Internet.

Web sites and addresses in languages besides English are becoming increasingly important as Internet usage grows in developing countries where the Latin alphabet is often unfamiliar.

Many believe ICANN should move faster in creating non-English domain name suffixes. Unwilling to wait, China already has set up its own ".com" in Chinese within its borders, while an Arabic consortium is testing suffixes in Arabic.
Paul Twomey, ICANN's chief executive, said in a statement that final tests and discussions should "reach a resolution by the end of 2007. But this is no simple task. If we get this wrong we could very easily and permanently break the Internet."

Web sites have long been available in many languages, and more recently Internet addresses can contain non-Latin portions, but the technology for full addresses is still being developed.
Patrik Falstrom, a Cisco Systems Inc. consulting engineer who is working on the project, said the venture is riddled with difficulties.

"We have 6,000 languages in the world. So should we register the name of countries -- like Greece -- in all 6,000?" Falstrom said.

Falstrom warned that fragmentation of the Internet -- possibly through countries adopting separate language-based systems -- would destroy the Web's basic usefulness. If that happens, people in China and the United States might reach entirely different Web sites if they type in the same address, or a browser might not recognize the address at all.

"I think the risk is very low," Falstrom said. "But if we had fragmentation it would be really, really, really bad -- the result (of entering an address) you would get depends on the country you are in. Just think of the trademark infringement issues."

Internet pioneer and ICANN Chairman Vint Cerf said "live testing" on fully non-Latin addresses would begin later this year.

"The ability to enter the entire domain name in a particular script, we're not there yet," Cerf said in an interview. "There is testing going on this year to verify that there aren't side effects that are troublesome."
He said policies must be worked out ahead of time "to avoid confusion and abuse."
Experts at this week's Internet Governance Forum, which ends Thursday, have warned that non-English addresses introduced incorrectly could help cybercriminals steal bank account information. For example, someone may substitute the "a" in the Latin alphabet with the "a" in Cyrillic, tricking users into thinking they are visiting the real PayPal site.

But several African delegates said global diversity would be threatened without cyberspace reform, including the development of non-English suffixes.

Adama Samassekou, president of the African Academy of Languages in Mali, said improving access to technology does little if its users can't use it to communicate in native languages.

"I think that the digital divide is not as important as the linguistic divide," he said. "In every African country there are at least two official languages. Most times, there are three languages at least."

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In case you didn't bother to read the article from Law.com

Non-English Letters in Domain Names Could Lead to Data Theft, Break Internet

By Derek Gatopoulos

The Associated Press

11-02-2006

The organization that oversees global Internet functions warned Wednesday that a mistake in creating more Web addresses using non-Latin letters could "permanently break the Internet."
The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, or ICANN, made the warning at a U.N.-organized conference on the future of the Internet.

Web sites and addresses in languages besides English are becoming increasingly important as Internet usage grows in developing countries where the Latin alphabet is often unfamiliar.

Many believe ICANN should move faster in creating non-English domain name suffixes. Unwilling to wait, China already has set up its own ".com" in Chinese within its borders, while an Arabic consortium is testing suffixes in Arabic.
Paul Twomey, ICANN's chief executive, said in a statement that final tests and discussions should "reach a resolution by the end of 2007. But this is no simple task. If we get this wrong we could very easily and permanently break the Internet."

Web sites have long been available in many languages, and more recently Internet addresses can contain non-Latin portions, but the technology for full addresses is still being developed.
Patrik Falstrom, a Cisco Systems Inc. consulting engineer who is working on the project, said the venture is riddled with difficulties.

"We have 6,000 languages in the world. So should we register the name of countries -- like Greece -- in all 6,000?" Falstrom said.

Falstrom warned that fragmentation of the Internet -- possibly through countries adopting separate language-based systems -- would destroy the Web's basic usefulness. If that happens, people in China and the United States might reach entirely different Web sites if they type in the same address, or a browser might not recognize the address at all.

"I think the risk is very low," Falstrom said. "But if we had fragmentation it would be really, really, really bad -- the result (of entering an address) you would get depends on the country you are in. Just think of the trademark infringement issues."

Internet pioneer and ICANN Chairman Vint Cerf said "live testing" on fully non-Latin addresses would begin later this year.

"The ability to enter the entire domain name in a particular script, we're not there yet," Cerf said in an interview. "There is testing going on this year to verify that there aren't side effects that are troublesome."
He said policies must be worked out ahead of time "to avoid confusion and abuse."
Experts at this week's Internet Governance Forum, which ends Thursday, have warned that non-English addresses introduced incorrectly could help cybercriminals steal bank account information. For example, someone may substitute the "a" in the Latin alphabet with the "a" in Cyrillic, tricking users into thinking they are visiting the real PayPal site.

But several African delegates said global diversity would be threatened without cyberspace reform, including the development of non-English suffixes.

Adama Samassekou, president of the African Academy of Languages in Mali, said improving access to technology does little if its users can't use it to communicate in native languages.

"I think that the digital divide is not as important as the linguistic divide," he said. "In every African country there are at least two official languages. Most times, there are three languages at least."

Did you even read the article? Also for your info it is now impossible to mix ascii and cryllic characters. The registrars won't let you register them. So that problem has since been resolved.

Also it says the internet WILL break if ICANN isn't faster making idn.idn possible.

Do research first before submitting dumb comments.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In all honesty I don't think it is fair to dismiss IDN just because of the potential for spoofing attacks. Spoof has been there for years, just with the Latin alphabet there are plenty of tricks and there is no shortage of dumb users who will fall for these traps :rip:

IDNebook.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In all honesty I don't think it is fair to dismiss IDN just because of the potential for spoofing attacks. Spoof has been there for years, just with the Latin alphabet there are plenty of tricks and there is no shortage of dumb users who will fall for these traps :rip:

This thread is just a clear case of bitterness , this guy Acroplex wont even answer questions and post's old news he clearly hasnt read himself. They can continue to post bogus stuff but its not going to affect any of the vested Domainers "IDNers" bank accounts one bit. If you are upset you missed the boat learn from this and congratulate. I cant guarantee you will get another opportunity as good as this one but maybe the next thing that comes across you're desk you will take the blinders off and set the ego aside and make a common sense decision.

Food For Thought
DotComGod said:
Guess again, remember I own many IDN names and believe in them strongly. I am also running the acquistion department for iREIT.

Expect the IDN market to pick up now.
-=DCG=-

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
He doesn't read current news either.

IE 7 drives foreign language domain names
Carolyn Duffy Marsan

Microsoft's latest release of Internet Explorer will drive demand for internationalized domain names, according to industry experts who are predicting a sharp increase in sales of foreign language domain names. That's because IE 7 has built-in support for IDNs, as does Firefox 2.0 , also released in October.

Previous versions of Firefox and Opera Software browsers supported IDNs but ran into problems because they were susceptible to spoofing and phishing attacks through IDNs. The newest IDN-capable browsers have protection against these attacks.

IDNs allow foreign language characters such as umlauts and accented vowels to be used in domain names

http://www.infoworld.nl/idgns/bericht.phtml?id=002570DE00740E18002572180001AAA8

Just resorts to remarks of a juvenile with his taunts when he is encountered with anything that proves him wrong.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Do research first before submitting dumb comments.

I guess you're calling DCG dumb for posting the link then?

The only dumbass is the one in your mirror.

He doesn't read current news either.

http://www.infoworld.nl/idgns/bericht.phtml?id=002570DE00740E18002572180001AAA8

Just resorts to remarks of a juvenile with his taunts when he is encountered with anything that proves him wrong.

Sarcle buddy....I said I enjoy crashing your little party here. Bring it on.

So far:

1. Security issues
2. Spoofing issues
3. Splitting the Internet

IDNs = garbage.

Next!

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
With 39 posts and only a signle iTrader feedback, you must work harder than this to earn my respect.

IDNebook.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
With 39 posts and only a signle iTrader feedback, you must work harder than this to earn my respect.

Yup only 39 post on this forum since Oct. 05 , but guess what i have common sense buddy , and im not looking for any respect from you sorry to hurt you ego.

I guess when you almost hit 10k post you can just disregard facts because you spend so much time posting , maybe you should stop talking so much and listen !

So i will pose the question again , Maybe you will stop tap dancing

I guess you're calling DCG dumb ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotComGod
Guess again, remember I own many IDN names and believe in them strongly. I am also running the acquistion department for iREIT.

Expect the IDN market to pick up now.
-=DCG=-

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess you're calling DCG dumb for posting the link then?

The only dumbass is the one in your mirror.

Sarcle buddy....I said I enjoy crashing your little party here. Bring it on.

So far:

1. Security issues
2. Spoofing issues
3. Splitting the Internet

IDNs = garbage.

Next!

1. Security issues

what security issues?

2. Spoofing issues.

The article is talking about old stuff. READ THE ARTICLE CLEARLY. IT CLEARLY SAYS MIXING OF ASCII AND CRYLLIC. You can no longer register these sort of names.

3.Splitting the Internet.

NO. Read some news on IDNS. Check Google News. They are pissed at Americans and want them to go faster to achieve idn.idn. NOT DOING IDN.IDN in a timely fashion would be a reason for them to split away for the internet.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Sorry. Did you get upset? Ooooooh. Too bad.

See, you guys don't see past your nose with IDNs that you even put it in your signatures.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry. Did you get upset? Ooooooh. Too bad.

See, you guys don't see past your nose with IDNs that you even put it in your signatures.

Listen newbie we'll see who is the one laughing in a year from now.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Moi, a newbie? tsk tsk tsk. You must really be an angry man. Cut down on the red meat. I sold my first domain in 1999 while you were suckling on your momma's teat.

I will now tell you why I started this thread :-D

Because one of you claimed in one of your IDN-lover forums that I had made a post supportive of those IDN names. I believe it was Sarcle but I am not positive and it doesn't matter. The poster wanted to reinforce their point so he thought that the positive statement of an avid anti-IDN domainer would strengthen his point of view. Alas, I read it.

Either way, as in the past so in the present I believe IDN's are the definition of junk among all domains - including exotic TLD's like .sc and .ws.

Have a great evening :-D

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Moi, a newbie? tsk tsk tsk. You must really be an angry man. Cut down on the red meat. I sold my first domain in 1999 while you were suckling on your momma's teat.

I will now tell you why I started this thread :-D

Because one of you claimed in one of your IDN-lover forums that I had made a post supportive of those IDN names. I believe it was Sarcle but I am not positive and it doesn't matter. The poster wanted to reinforce their point so he thought that the positive statement of an avid anti-IDN domainer would strengthen his point of view. Alas, I read it.

Either way, as in the past so in the present I believe IDN's are the definition of junk among all domains - including exotic TLD's like .sc and .ws.

Have a great evening :-D

Thanks for being a fan of the IDN forum!

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
:-D I love you too. NOT! :-D

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:-D I love you too. NOT! :-D

Acro, please keep to the topic and keep personal relationships off of the board.

There is a concensus here that what you're saying is a complete lie. You just like to ridicule idners because you have nothing to live up to. You missed out on the IDN rush. Most of the good IDNs are taken. You have failed.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The poster wanted to reinforce their point so he thought that the positive statement of an avid anti-IDN domainer would strengthen his point of view. Alas, I read it.

Really? Hm....

You were never interested? That's funny

I'd be interested in your Greek IDN names - .com's only please. Send me a PM.

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=153866&highlight=idn

God you still can't get your facts straight.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
concensus?

I think not. This sub-forum is for you IDN-lovers. The rest of us domain cowboys know better.

Most of the good IDNs are taken? LOL

A "good IDN" is an oxymoron. There is no such thing. :-D

Soooorrrry, whipped again.

Really? Hm....

You were never interested? That's funny.

The defininition of interest is curiosity. I never bid, bought, nor speculated in any IDN. On the contrary, I helped some of you fellas with poor concept of the Greek language understand that you can't just translate a word from English and register it in the Greek char set - it has to make sense.

Sorry Sarcle. Get a face btw, that apple is disturbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom