Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

I've been thinking

Gazed416

Level 1
Reaction score
Since I'm new to buying and selling domains, I have come across some good names but with high prices. Secondly, I've seen good names with lower valued extensions. Yes, I know, "always buy .com!!", but it's not really an option, is it? I think some of the experienced sellers should remember that as amateurs we are looking for .com names ALL the time, but what do you do when there's not many good names available? Buy a random .com name and develop it? I'm not a developer and I surely don't have the money to spend on developing the next "Hiimnewtothis.com".

This is what I've been thinking of and hopefully it will help someone to help me as well. My thought is that the supply is much more than the demand. In less than a week of being exposed to this domain world I've come across "domain hoarders" and I just think that it's time to find alternatives because the norm is clearly not cutting it. I'm trying to become a broker to the veterans because most of them are busy with other projects while their LLL.com's are DYING, but they also have other great domains, so instead of just helping yourself to sell your own domains, try helping others that have been doing this for years.

The only problem seems to be the limited number of marketplaces. Over and over again I read the same marketplaces being mentioned, which is fair, but where do you sell your .nyc, .ru, .asia, .mx, .whatever isn't .com?

I hope that right now you're thinking "those aren't as valuable as .com", but they still sell! Why are those lesser extensions selling while the precious .com is so rare that you can sell lesser extensions 1000 times before you actually get a really great .com that's available.

Don't get me wrong. I see the weekly sales and yes, the king is .com, but we need to work with what we have because there's little choice, unless you are so creative to register a brand new xxx.com that no one has ever thought of.

If anyone could recommend marketplaces where ANY extensions are selling well, I'd really appreciate it. I found a .nyc marketplace after a quick Google search and yes, I might just go list on there to see what happens. But I need a lot more marketplaces to sell so many extensions that is simply not valued by the buyers of the mainstream marketplaces.

Domain summit 2024

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A lot of thinking there.. Not sure I agree with any of it though.

Since I'm new to buying and selling domains, I have come across some good names but with high prices. Secondly, I've seen good names with lower valued extensions. Yes, I know, "always buy .com!!", but it's not really an option, is it? I think some of the experienced sellers should remember that as amateurs we are looking for .com names ALL the time, but what do you do when there's not many good names available? Buy a random .com name and develop it? I'm not a developer and I surely don't have the money to spend on developing the next "Hiimnewtothis.com".

If you are domain investing thats different from developing.. A domain investor would never buy a random name since the chances of it selling are near nil. It seems to me that you think that you can only invest by hand registering names. This I would not recommend. You are 20 years to late. If you want to invest today, dont hand register 20 random names. Pool your money and buy 1 good one from the secondary market. Here at DNForum.com for example.

This is what I've been thinking of and hopefully it will help someone to help me as well. My thought is that the supply is much more than the demand. In less than a week of being exposed to this domain world I've come across "domain hoarders" and I just think that it's time to find alternatives because the norm is clearly not cutting it. I'm trying to become a broker to the veterans because most of them are busy with other projects while their LLL.com's are DYING, but they also have other great domains, so instead of just helping yourself to sell your own domains, try helping others that have been doing this for years.
So your idea is that without any experience in the industry, not knowing how to sell your own domains, you would help veterans sell theirs? Usually domain brokers use their knowhow to sell to end users or their contacts to sell to other investors. If you have neither then you are ill suited for such a position.

The only problem seems to be the limited number of marketplaces. Over and over again I read the same marketplaces being mentioned, which is fair, but where do you sell your .nyc, .ru, .asia, .mx, .whatever isn't .com?
There are plenty of marketplaces. But domains are not a mainstream liquid commodity. Its a niche product with very few buyers for each specific domain. Its some of the most iliquid assets you can invest in. Its not an issue of missing marketplaces, but missing buyers. Most of us hold on to names for years and decades before the right offer comes along.

I hope that right now you're thinking "those aren't as valuable as .com", but they still sell! Why are those lesser extensions selling while the precious .com is so rare that you can sell lesser extensions 1000 times before you actually get a really great .com that's available.

Don't get me wrong. I see the weekly sales and yes, the king is .com, but we need to work with what we have because there's little choice, unless you are so creative to register a brand new xxx.com that no one has ever thought of.

If anyone could recommend marketplaces where ANY extensions are selling well, I'd really appreciate it. I found a .nyc marketplace after a quick Google search and yes, I might just go list on there to see what happens. But I need a lot more marketplaces to sell so many extensions that is simply not valued by the buyers of the mainstream marketplaces.

Again.. This is not bread you are selling. Not every man needs your domain to stay fed... You cant find a marketplace where ANY domain extension is selling because there are no buyers for them. If you want to be succesful in this industry you have A LOT of learning to do. Sounds a bit like you read an e-book and jumped in. People that write E-books are not making millions, why would they need to write and e-book and sell then?

In summary.. Pool your money, buy one good .com domain. Find potential end users and Flip it for 100% -1000% profit. Once you successfully accomplished that do it again.

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

@Castion gave some great replies to your "thoughts", of what you've been thinking. :)

i'd say, don't be in a hurry.
cuz...in this game, patience really is a virtue

Good Luck!

imo...

Gazed416

Level 1
Reaction score
If you are domain investing thats different from developing.. A domain investor would never buy a random name since the chances of it selling are near nil. It seems to me that you think that you can only invest by hand registering names. This I would not recommend. You are 20 years to late. If you want to invest today, dont hand register 20 random names. Pool your money and buy 1 good one from the secondary market. Here at DNForum.com for example.

Hi, thank you for your reply. I'd like to do the same as well. You misunderstood me, but to clarify, I do not hand register at all, as I know that it would just be me making up random words and maybe really long URLs. Where I do go is expireddomains.net for now and then I have a spreadsheet of different domains that I might buy in the future when I find good marketplaces for the different TLDs. For example, what is your thoughts on the .nl extension? Bytr.nl (not my domain) is currently on auction and its current bid is at € 1,401 with two more days to go. I know that it's 4 letters, but the amount of 4 letters that are available in different extensions are a lot, but yet again, I'm just trying to find marketplaces for most of the extensions since I can't wait my whole life for a few LLLL.com's to come around.

So your idea is that without any experience in the industry, not knowing how to sell your own domains, you would help veterans sell theirs? Usually domain brokers use their knowhow to sell to end users or their contacts to sell to other investors. If you have neither then you are ill suited for such a position.

You are right when you said that I'm ill suited for such position. Firstly, if you do have a database of domains of let's say 1000, most likely it means that either you're struggling to sell most of them, developing them, parking them, or holding onto them. But that's only about 300-600 of your domains, what about the outstanding amount of domains that are just there since you have very little time to pay attention to them? Secondly, I do not have all the money or experience to buy and sell as many domains that I find valuable, but you as a veteran probably have loads of short .coms and since I could use some money (comission) and you could use some money as well, what harm would it do to use someone like me that has time to find marketplaces outside of Godaddy, Sedo, etc, and to simply list the domains on your behalf? (Btw, the short .coms would be listed on the big marketplaces, obviously). Besides the commission that I could possibly get, it will be a huge learning experience for me to perhaps find that your LLL.com is simply not selling and then I'd have to dig even deeper. Maybe go out of my way to find possible leads, or advise you somehow that your domain is worth being parked, or leased, or becoming developed. My advice would come from facts that I will provide to you as the domain owner because the quicker I get money in for you, the quicker I get money too. I actually hate talking about money, but unfortunately I have to because I'd use whatever commission I'm getting to populate my own portfolio since it's safe to say that registering fees & renewal fees aren't low.

here are plenty of marketplaces. But domains are not a mainstream liquid commodity. Its a niche product with very few buyers for each specific domain. Its some of the most iliquid assets you can invest in. Its not an issue of missing marketplaces, but missing buyers. Most of us hold on to names for years and decades before the right offer comes along.

You're right. Just recently I read about someone that held onto their domain for too long and listed it after a wave of hype passed. I do not recall their domain but unfortunately for them it was too late to get the extra hundred dollars that they could've gotten before. I do understand that some become "emotionally attached" to their domains, but you as far as I can see, you need to be where the marketplace is. If right now weed, kush, etc are selling in different extensions and you're holding on to it because you think that it can be worth more than kush.com that recently sold for 500k, then you must be crazy, because what if you hold onto your domain to the point where every good domain in your niche is registered, and the demand for weed-related domains are not as hyped anymore?

Finally, I do not read ebooks. I did not even read one article, book, forum post, or anything before buying my very first domain and I made a $170 mistake which I feel proud of because I throw myself in the deep-end and I see if I'm able to survive the journey ahead. That's just me. A lot of people like the idea of studying things before they partcipate but not me because as cocky as it may sound.. I just don't have the patience for it. When I need to know something NOW, I'll get the answer right now, and I'll ask if I don't know. My method is wrong but it's a method that works for me and if I have to lose $200, or $500, or whatever before I make my first sale, then I wouldn't really care because it would mean that my list of failures are starting to improve to me actually generating money. As for you saying "Pool your money, buy one good .com domain. Find potential end users and Flip it for 100% -1000% profit. Once you successfully accomplished that do it again." My answer is yes and no. Yes, of course I'll buy a good .com when it arises, but no, I won't pool and wait around until it pops up. I will have to explore other TLDs in-between.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

I think, if you exploring other extensions like country codes .nl .fr .se .ch .dk etc, etc then you should know something about those specific regions ideally, not just look at "bids" on a domain.

you, should know why the bid is at the point it is, while also not get caught up in bid wars and bid hype.

as in, once or if you got that name, what would you do with it?

also, I noticed in your post, that you have a negative assumption about how much time other domainers have to devote to the business of domaining.

Firstly, if you do have a database of domains of let's say 1000, most likely it means that either you're struggling to sell most of them, developing them, parking them, or holding onto them. But that's only about 300-600 of your domains, what about the outstanding amount of domains that are just there since you have very little time to pay attention to them?

first mistake in this business, is to assume.

make no assumptions about what other domainers have time for, time to do, or how much time they have....to take their time

if a domainer has 1000 domains on average they may pay $10,000 a year in renewal fee's

however, on other hand, they may sell a couple of those names a year for 10K > 20K or make a potion or even enough to pay for those costs with earnings from ppc.

just because a name doesn't sell this year or next, doesn't mean it won't sell five years from now.
that's how the investor minded domainer thinks
but newbies, come in the game with images of "domain flipping" in their heads, they don't see that.

they gotta have it right now, like a junkie wanting crack...but they don't even know what the high is or how to get there
and too impatinet to wait for it

:)

imo...

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Finally, I do not read ebooks. I did not even read one article, book, forum post, or anything before buying my very first domain and I made a $170 mistake which I feel proud of because I throw myself in the deep-end and I see if I'm able to survive the journey ahead. That's just me. A lot of people like the idea of studying things before they partcipate but not me because as cocky as it may sound.. I just don't have the patience for it. When I need to know something NOW, I'll get the answer right now, and I'll ask if I don't know. My method is wrong but it's a method that works for me and if I have to lose $200, or $500, or whatever before I make my first sale, then I wouldn't really care because it would mean that my list of failures are starting to improve to me actually generating money. As for you saying "Pool your money, buy one good .com domain. Find potential end users and Flip it for 100% -1000% profit. Once you successfully accomplished that do it again." My answer is yes and no. Yes, of course I'll buy a good .com when it arises, but no, I won't pool and wait around until it pops up. I will have to explore other TLDs in-between.

I dont think you really got what I was saying at all and you also sound a bit contradictory. But by all means if you like following a wrong method that looses you money, but apparently "works for you" I doubt I can teach you anything. But I get it, its the mode of the times and the new YA mentality. Why spend time reading and learning when you know it all and can spend your parents money without prejudice.

When you DO have the time to study and listen to the people with experience. Come back here. We can teach you to make money. Until then, good luck with your winning wrong strategy.

PS.. Its not "just you".. 90% of young people today shows the very same naval centred mentality as you put forth in this post.... Unfortunately..

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators