Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

lottery.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Real Estate is different, heck but you know that, don't you? How many people have a mortgage on a domain name? NONE! I guess your sense or humor and fun went out with .web. Anyway, .com domains cost 8.95. If you can find a piece of real estate for that I would recommend a lottery system as well for real estate. Free enterprise explores all opportunies, are you some sort of commie Campler? Loosen up and relax... Life is good, God is great, and there's more than your opinion that matters in this world friend. Let's have some fun and not attack other posts. In here, I figure we're all on the same pioneering team but that's just my opinion. Cheers,

weeps

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
acronym007 said:
Real Estate is different, heck but you know that, don't you? How many people have a mortgage on a domain name? NONE! I guess your sense or humor and fun went out with .web.

There may be no mortgage's but I guessing a lot probably have loans for the right domain which is basically the same thing.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have said time and time again the domain drop and bid process that exists currently is BULLSH*T and completely one-sided and is nearly a monopoly run amongst a tight knit circle of EXTREMELY affluent people, self bidding and fraud ARE rampant whether anyone wants to admit it or not, by buyer AND registrars....there needs to be some MAJOR reform of the system and I think a domain "lottery" system that gives everyone an equal chance to obtain a domain name (even if for a signifigant "chance" fee) would be totally successful and ingenius...AND it would make the domain world a better place to do business and make money... for instance if a really good name sells for $20k USD and the drop company gets the money then of course you get the domain and they get the cash (20k), but WHAT IF they had 500 people pay $199 each to be in the lottery for that prized domain name it would generate a total of $99,500.00 in gross profit for that company that was lucky enough to grab the domain, EVEN if they only charged a $99 entry fee (which is almost what is charged now) that would be roughly $50k! ....and this "entrant" number I feel is completely reasonable if we all knew we had an equal shot at getting the name and ALOT of us including myself would risk a mere $199 or $99 for the opportunity to obtain a prize domain worth xx,xxx+ ....and of course there could be a default auction if a certain amount of domain lottery "tickets" were'nt purchased and so on and so forth and I am sure the details would get ironed out somehow by a pilot program and tests...also, if there was a third party accounting firm involved for fairness and reliability we could make sure the same people didnt get the domain everytime! Feel free to add your input these are just my ramblings...so feel free to add your own! :evil:

Chris

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mocus said:
..<snip>..

You say the system is corrupt, yet you suggest a lottery system to distribute dropped domains?
ha ha ha ha

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mocus said:
I have said time and time again the domain drop and bid process that exists currently is BULLSH*T and completely one-sided and is nearly a monopoly run amongst a tight knit circle of EXTREMELY affluent people, self bidding and fraud ARE rampant whether anyone wants to admit it or not, by buyer AND registrars....there needs to be some MAJOR reform of the system and I think a domain "lottery" system that gives everyone an equal chance to obtain a domain name (even if for a signifigant "chance" fee) would be totally successful and ingenius...AND it would make the domain world a better place to do business and make money... for instance if a really good name sells for $20k USD and the drop company gets the money then of course you get the domain and they get the cash (20k), but WHAT IF they had 500 people pay $199 each to be in the lottery for that prized domain name it would generate a total of $99,500.00 in gross profit for that company that was lucky enough to grab the domain, EVEN if they only charged a $99 entry fee (which is almost what is charged now) that would be roughly $50k! ....and this "entrant" number I feel is completely reasonable if we all knew we had an equal shot at getting the name and ALOT of us including myself would risk a mere $199 or $99 for the opportunity to obtain a prize domain worth xx,xxx+ ....and of course there could be a default auction if a certain amount of domain lottery "tickets" were'nt purchased and so on and so forth and I am sure the details would get ironed out somehow by a pilot program and tests...also, if there was a third party accounting firm involved for fairness and reliability we could make sure the same people didnt get the domain everytime! Feel free to add your input these are just my ramblings...so feel free to add your own! :evil:

Chris

Someone famous once said: "Capitalism is a terrible system --except when you compare it with the alternatives."

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In a way I agree with Mocus on this one. It would make it fairer for all domainers if there was a lottery. Maybe someone needs to buy out enom and make it happen.

chording

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DaddyHalbucks said:
Someone famous once said: "Capitalism is a terrible system --except when you compare it with the alternatives."

Sad but true :-D

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr. Deleted said:
In a way I agree with Mocus on this one. It would make it fairer for all domainers if there was a lottery. Maybe someone needs to buy out enom and make it happen.

Joe, you are so wise beyond your years...now if we could make everyone see the light. :approve:

It's gonna happen eventually, (drop reform) the question is when and who and how...and will there be any old school premium names left... :huh:

FYI...they are running out (top names dropping..for obvious reasons) and eventually these names WILL stop dropping altogether, just like three letters almost have, there of course is a saturation and realization point in anything like this...

one more thing... WHO can "buy out" enom....Bill Gates? Maybe that lady that just won that "eurolottery" from the link above...lol ..We should email her and see what she thinks about a new business venture...we will all be on enoms board of directors..hehe, guess I can dream right?

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The world's largest individual jackpot prize was taken by Andrew Whittaker, who won $314.9m (£197.4m) in the US playing Powerball in 2002.
And with it came a lot of problems... But If he had invested in domains... lol Anyway I think he has been robbed like 3 times now. Maybe we can call these lottery guys up and make it happen. And maybe they will buy Lottery.net too

croupier

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
so how many tickets would you have bought for the lottery.net lottery?

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
me? 1. But it this was to happen, there would have to be a limit to the amount you could buy, like 5 to 10, so that the big players would not get more chances thaen all the rest by buying 1000 tickets.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It always makes me laugh when people suggest that a system that will allow people with little or no money to compete with people with deep pockets is somehow "fairer" than a system where people can participate according to their means. That argument has so many holes in it you could drive a bus through it without touching the sides.

Real estate is actually a superb analogy. You don't see anyone (seriously) advocating that houses should not be allowed to be sold to the person able to pay most for them, but should be artificially priced at some randomly chosen low price so that low income folks can afford them. Yes, many countries make an effort to make some housing affordable to all (or most) buyers, but it's certainly not the prime properties in the best locations. Hey, you can buy any unregistered domain you like for $7.95 or less - but it's not going to be the best domain you could get.

How about art? Would anyone waste time walking into an art gallery and arguing that they should sell you a Picasso for $500 because that's "fair" and their original $million price-tag excluded all but the richest folks?

The parallel between domains and art is even better than the parallel between domains and real estate. How much does art REALLY cost? An average sized bit of canvas and paint might set you back a few hundred dollars. But the MARKET (i.e. capitalism) multiplies the value of the raw materials thousands or even tens or hundreds of thousands of times in some cases because individual pieces of art (like domains) are unique and some are coveted by large numbers of people (like domains) and rapidly appreciate in value (like domains) so can also be seen as great investments (like domains).

In fact, there are dozens more parallels where the "raw material" cost is essentially irrelevant in the final equation. Take a book, for example. The raw cost of the latest Harry Potter book is perhaps a hundred dollars' worth of paper and printer ink, plus J.K.Rawling's time - yet she's able to command tens of millions of dollars for the rights to that book. At exactly the same time, thousands of authors with books exactly the same length, written at exactly the same time, are receiving minute royalty cheques or even having to pay to self-publish their work.

A domain name is a piece of intellectual property in its purest form, like a book or a piece of music or an artwork that has been abstracted to remove the "real" component leaving only the concept/rights behind. As such, its raw cost is irrelevant. Even if domains only cost $0.001 to register, this doesn't stop some being WORTH millions and hence SOLD for millions.

The market decides. The market decides. The market decides.

Repeat the above mantra a couple of times when you next get crazy ideas about "fairness" :)

croupier

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here's comes the final day rush - $28100

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Off topic: Great to see your input again Chris A. (May be I was just asleep).

I always find your input interesting, even if some consider it contraversial.

enom has consistently been my preferred dropcatcher, with godaddy.com a fairly close second.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Edwin,

Please do not bring logic and reality into the discussion. :-D

If anyone plans to place an early bid. Lottery.net is now up to $ 29,600
with less than 3 hrs to go.

Presently, I'm rolling all of my pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters so I can
bid at the last minute with the big boys.

I'm still hoping that Chris reconsiders and changes Lottery.net to a lottery
process.

In that way, I have a better chance of getting something for nothing.

.biz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
Edwin,

Please do not bring logic and reality into the discussion. :-D

If anyone plans to place an early bid. Lottery.net is now up to $ 29,600
with less than 3 hrs to go.

Presently, I'm rolling all of my pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters so I can
bid at the last minute with the big boys.

I'm still hoping that Chris reconsiders and changes Lottery.net to a lottery
process.

In that way, I have a better chance of getting something for nothing.

It will be twice as much in the last 5 mins.

Chaiki

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mocus said:
EVEN if they only charged a $99 entry fee (which is almost what is charged now) that would be roughly $50k! ....and this "entrant" number I feel is completely reasonable if we all knew we had an equal shot at getting the name and ALOT of us including myself would risk a mere $199 or $99 for the opportunity to obtain a prize domain worth xx,xxx+

Chris

What about people who don't have $99 or $199? What about the homeless and indigant? Why should they be excluded from owning "a prize domain"?

Maybe Enom could have a lottery for people who need to raise $100 so they could participate in the new, more fair domain lottery.

Once someone wins this name, what if they don't have enough money to develop it properly? Maybe designers should have to lower their prices so that everyone could have better pages and not have to be "forced" to pay market rates that only a select few can afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom