Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Need Tips Getting Expiring Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Need Help Getting Expiring Domain
There's a domain I've had my eye on that expires on Saturday.

1. It is registered with Network Solutions (Verisign).
2. It is a .net
3. It is a surname suffixed with an "s" -- for example: clintons.net
4. It is not the most popular surname in the world, but there are plenty of people with this surname.
5. The current registrant is not using the domain, and the name servers of record aren't even hosting any DNS records for it! So I think the chances that the current registrant will renew are reduced, but others may have an interest.
6. Similar domains are already registered and in use -- e.g. clinton.com, clinton.net, clinton.org, clintons.com.

So my questions are:
1. How long does Network Solutions take before releasing expired domains? What kind of grace period do they offer to the current registrant? Anything special about Network Solutions I should know?
2. Does it pay to use a service such as Snapback?? I have read mixed reviews here of this and other such services, and don't want to spend extra money unless it will likely pay off.
3. How often should I be checking it for expiration??
4. Anyone have any other advice?

Thanks!
o0o

Domain summit 2024

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Trying to pickup an expired name through netsol is a pain. They can hold in anywhere from a few weeks to several months before dropping it.

If you really want the name, I would use Snapnames.com along with namewinner.com, and there's still no guarantee that you will get it.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Forget it if the name is with NetSol: it could take MORE THAN A YEAR! I have been tracking quite a number of domains with them and very often it takes a year to drop.

For example, one of my previously registered names (domaincities.com, which is now available if anyone is interested) took EXACTLY a year (365 + a few days) to drop after the expiry date.

I am currently waiting for another domain (I won't tell you which for this one LOL), and it expired in April 2001!!! Go figure it yourself.

I'm wondering if this kind of practice (of not dropping expired name in a timely manner) is actually breaking any ICANN Terms of Service as a registrar. Many other registrars, like OpenSRS and even Register.com have a clearly-defined time-table for dropping domains.

There are currently no ICANN rules regarding DELETEing expired names. None. Zero. Zip.

-t

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
LOL
i have been waiting for one to drop, and its expiration date is aug 2000

bigdave

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by brn2h8
Trying to pickup an expired name through netsol is a pain. They can hold in anywhere from a few weeks to several months before dropping it.

If you really want the name, I would use Snapnames.com along with namewinner.com, and there's still no guarantee that you will get it.

I think NetSol is dropping its newly expired names pretty regularly now. Just watch for the not found in local database message in the whois and the countdown will start.

Good luck!
BD :cool:

KC Slim

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
does this mean that the names I registered today from deleteddomains.com are not mine? I am confused.
Or am I in the clear these were domains thatexpired today.
Thanks for any help you can send my way

avs162

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
greetings,

yes you must give those domains to me right away. Just kidding
you regged you own for the most part out of 1400 i have had two that were followed by emails saying mistake was made.

as long as you got confirmation you are owner once the whois updates you can verify.

anybody have similar experince getting email saying mistake and is there recourse.

good luck with your names

sean

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
bigdave, even when you see the "not found in local DB" message, it could take from days to weeks for NetSol to release the names. They used to do it in 3-7 days, then it takes longer and longer. The irregular thing is: some names are dropped faster than others.

And don't forget that you could easily find names expired looooong ago (like April 2001). I guess their capability of managing expired names is not catching up with the ever skyrocketing volume. I wouldn't say that they have any bad faith in here: they are more unable than unwilling.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Tip No. 1

Apply to be a registrar and get direct access to the RRP.

Tip No. 2

Forget Tip No. 1, Wait for the decision on WLS.

bigdave

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think NetSol should be required to drop all expired names before starting the WLS. Right now they have incentive to hang onto names in the anticipation of raking in the bucks later this summer.

Of course it is well documented that ICANN doesn't care what I (or their user community) think, NetSol doesn't care what ICANN thinks. By inference (not much of a leap of faith) I can imagine that NetSol doesn't care what I think.

Just another wonderful day in paradise....!

:D BD

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators