Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Shame, Shame, Shame!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Recently, I have had buyers back out of three sales after committing to the purchase of fixed pricing.

The sales were public threads and commitments.

I don't care if it was $1 one dollar or $1 one million dollars (it was neither of those amounts), it is a commitment, a contract, and a matter of principle.

I did not leave a negative iTrader because I just didn't feel like it.

But here's the ball buster...not only did these members not respond to several PM's over several days after posting sold, they are still running around on the forum as if nothing ever happened and continue to post in sales threads.

It is the audacity of these members who totally ignore a seller as if somehow, in a miraculous way, the PM machine does not work. I really can't think of too many misinterpretations of SOLD in a public thread.

The reason I bring this up now is because I have been communicating with a few other members who are encountering similar issues. Bottom line, it appears that there is a big upswing of non-payment after committing to buy. Or, posting an offer with no intent of paying that amount when offering accepting within a very short time period.

There are too many no-show, no-pay buyers circulating on the forum.

A red iTrader mark does not, in my opinion, does not do much in the prevention of or detering these members from continuing on in a casual business as usual manner.

With proof provided (the thread, the sent PM's) and adequate time period established for completing the deal I feel that there should be a more firmer stance by the forum than simply getting a little red tick mark.

Upvote 0

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
With proof provided (the thread, the sent PM's) and adequate time period established for completing the deal I feel that there should be a more firmer stance by the forum than simply getting a little red tick mark.

I agree, but unsure what a suitable punishment would be. My guess is a 7 day banning with permanent banning following the second offense.

If they posted 'sold' then backed out, they can't deny that.

I must admit, I did this once 8 years ago when first starting out and I haven't forgiven myself since.

-=DCG=-

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Name them and let them explain themselves if they care.

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I also check iTrader and even check the negatives to see who they came from and why - giving more weight to negatives from high rep members. Dealing with the retaliatory feedback that will surely come though might be enough to dissuade serious members from bothering with it. Not sure how to fix that.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I check trader ratings when I buy/sell, so for me they do make an impact. If they get enough red ticks it will affect their ability to buy/sell with many members.

Same here.

I think iTrade rating WORKS.

Name 'n Shame!

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

I also check iTrader and even check the negatives to see who they came from and why - giving more weight to negatives from high rep members. Dealing with the retaliatory feedback that will surely come though might be enough to dissuade serious members from bothering with it. Not sure how to fix that.

The DNF staff has done a great job with this for me and at least two other instances I know of.

It's fairly straightforward when you use the "post sold in thread to claim" method. They can then either show proof or lose their reputation. No need to complicate things beyond that.

dn-101

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Public flogging. The best place - Tehran.

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
itrader rating...
as a buyer / seller, if any -ve rating is there, i will check myself by visiting the thread and details.
also, the mods/admins should investigate all negative ratings (as draggar mentioned).

FIRST OPTION:
my suggestion will be not to Ban permanently, but
a week for frst 2 offences
a month for third and fourth
a year for fifth

SECOND OPTION:
again, instead of ban,
if the person is a seller, then should not be allowed to start any sales, auction thread
similarly, if the prson is a buyer, should not be allowed to post in any sales, auction thread**

**(i hope this has been categorized by DNF)

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree, but unsure what a suitable punishment would be. My guess is a 7 day banning with permanent banning following the second offense.

If they posted 'sold' then backed out, they can't deny that.

I must admit, I did this once 8 years ago when first starting out and I haven't forgiven myself since.

-=DCG=-

well, lets start with this joker:
http://www.dnforum.com/member-reidy3000.html

lots of spammers on dnf now, this guy is a non payer though. non payers are almost as bad as scammers as you dont know what theyre up to and waste everyones time

this joker agreed to buy a domain, he wanted me to email him to confirm was mine. even though been in my ownership for years and have hundreds of transactions on dnf, and am exclusive and verified, but thought to myself, fair enough, good to be cautious. although did think to myself is this over kill, and maybe is a scammer. but anyway, i emailed him very politely and pmed waiting for payment.
left for a couple of days and politely emailed again. (all details for adam or mods in his trader rating, i left note)

so this joker emails me and says couple of days later:

Hi Guy,
Sorry, not interested anymore as i've googled it and noticed you've tried to sell it a few times.
It was just an initial inquiry.

Thanks
Ian

when his initial pm says:
reidy3000: kd0 Hi, I'm interested in your domain, can we do it for $200 paypal? Also if we are going to do this deal please can you send me an email from the registered email address for this domain so that I can authenticate that you own this domain :) Cheers Reidy, Arbroath, UK

Please temp ban this fool, and sellers and buyers beware of member: reidy3000

this further wastes my time but i hope helps the community of solid professional domainers that exist on dnf, albeit dwindling numbers

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
banning for life someone is too harsh, its like life imprisonment in severe level of crime !
that is why democracy allows to sentence people for few years rather then life, seeing the possibility of getting the person to set on right track

but as mentioned earlier, itrader gives a clear view about the buyer / seller.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Please make sure you post negative iTrader when this happens so the rest of us know to be aware.

And these things put a real load on the mods as they end up getting multiple PM's with all kinds of stories and usually a barrage foul language at the least from the offender....
It is a REAL waste of time for the staff (been there ..done that) because it has to be investigated..and all because someone changed their mind or were trying to look like a big shot.

Make the punishment severe enough that they think twice before doing it....and perm ban is fine imho for 2 "walking away from a sale" offenses. Anyone can make the mistake once ...twice is not a mistake.

I have had people PM me a couple times after posting sold and say they can't pay because of extenuating circumstances...PP issues or they had committed too much not expecting all offers to be accepted. Both times they offered to pay me in installments Not perfect but I let it go because I felt they were trying to make it right and I didn't see them going around offering on other names after giving me the story...and they both paid me in full after a bit of time.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I like the sound of that.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't care if it was $1 one dollar or $1 one million dollars (it was neither of those amounts), it is a commitment, a contract, and a matter of principle.

I did not leave a negative iTrader because I just didn't feel like it.

those 2 sentences are complete contradictions in terms
by not leaving neg feedback someone else has to deal with these jerkoffs at a later date

what if non-payers turn into scammers

it is hassle but you have to do the feedback. established members should not have to worry about retalitory feedback. it surely would get removed

i have had about 300 trades on here with about 150 individuals
never had a problem, until this week. so the joker got his neg feedback

i of course have had people very late paying etc. but most people have been very genuine so overlooked

dnf is a lacklustre place these days. loads of new members who just spam and lowball constantly. fine. they just get ignored

its always a pleasure dealing with exclusives as everything seems to go like clockwork

doc, you need to leave the feedback to warn the community imho, otherwise this is a waste of time thread

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Name them and let them explain themselves if they care.
sometimes, judgement of the admins / mods can be questioned 'cause it is an individual perception.
i dont know while banning, are other admins/ mods are consulted, if yes then that is the best way!

also, while banning a user, before banning , let the user explain themselves
can be open forum or a closed forum as per the descretion ..

Please make sure you post negative iTrader when this happens so the rest of us know to be aware.

And these things put a real load on the mods as they end up getting multiple PM's with all kinds of stories and usually a barrage foul language at the least from the offender....
It is a REAL waste of time for the staff (been there ..done that) because it has to be investigated..and all because someone changed their mind or were trying to look like a big shot.

Make the punishment severe enough that they think twice before doing it....and perm ban is fine imho for 2 "walking away from a sale" offenses. Anyone can make the mistake once ...twice is not a mistake.

I have had people PM me a couple times after posting sold and say they can't pay because of extenuating circumstances...PP issues or they had committed too much not expecting all offers to be accepted. Both times they offered to pay me in installments Not perfect but I let it go because I felt they were trying to make it right and I didn't see them going around offering on other names after giving me the story...and they both paid me in full after a bit of time.
repeating high severity level of offence should be permanent - like backing out of deals!

Doc - your best bet is to leave negative feedback. If they leave retaliatory feedback it can be investigated by the admins.

perfect !

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why not have a special rating which indicates that the buyer has backed out from a deal?

I have seen this being used on DigitalPoint...

that will be itrader's job... maybe rating as SELLER / rating as BUYER should be differentiated ..

it used to be there in Bidirbuyindia.com 9-10 years back.. it was very effective!!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why not have a special rating which indicates that the buyer has backed out from a deal?

I have seen this being used on DigitalPoint...
Special Rating?

A deadbeat is a deadbeat. What special rating can there be when someone commits to purchase, a verbal and written contract by legal definition, and breaches that contract?

I know this forum is better than Digital Point. But at the same time, a slap on the wrist is hardly worthwhile and perhaps it is those coming from Digital Point that assume they can pull and get away with this bullshit.

A Special rating would be big red bold letters under their user's name P.O.S.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If they back out and convey the same to the seller I don't think it is bad..
Not replying to multiple PM's is very bad

I see this as two different issues..
When asked to post SOLD in the thread, which ultimately knocks other people out of contention, then there is no option.

If the thread is noted to have an end date and time then there really is no option.

If the person who posted SOLD in the thread edits his post to back out and notifies the seller in advance before the sale closes, that is acceptable in order for the seller to relist the name.

I'll tell you how bad it is getting (one of many examples):

I have seen people posting in thread Backup buyer for xxxxxxx.com after some one has posted sold. I thought this was a novel idea. In one sale, there was a really sweet name that I wanted but someone beat me to it. I posted Backup buyer for xxxxxxx.com and guess what? I actually got the name because the buyer backed out.

To many members are not treated this forum as a place to do business. They think this is some kind of video game where they bid and win Yippee! I got to it first and then don't pay and think, aw, what the hell. I have another life left.

Screw that! This is business, this is the real world environment, and this is not a game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom