Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Show your guru domains

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I purchased Google Apps for my email and then use two factor authentication.

manyagem

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I received an email from United Domains: show how awesome you are with your mission.guru domain. Order .rocks now.

er, no

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.photo would have been 100% better - .photography is such a loooooong extension name
It is all about intent. If I specialized in Wildlife Photography, then of course .photography is the obvious choice over .photo.

Intent and content...if you are trying to convey a message then try to be so spot on that no one can confuse you among anyone else. Wildlife.photo tells me there is a photo taken of some wildlife. Wildlife.photography tells me there is someone who specializes in wildlife photography. Same would be true with Wedding.Photography vs. Wedding.photo vs. Wedding.pics.

What is your message. Who is your audience. What are you trying to convey.

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nostradomsinus is correct with the search engine optimization theory. And users would rely searching for services in their area by typing in keywords, not the url. They would only rely on the url once they know the company name.

Anyone interested in rejecting this theory?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nostradomsinus is correct with the search engine optimization theory. And users would rely searching for services in their area by typing in keywords, not the url. They would only rely on the url once they know the company name.

100% correct with straight up searches on search engines...like google.

People only know (or use the URL) once the find the link/click the link in the search results.

And, some people may never know the URL or use the URL once they have bookmarked the site/link.

Eventually, I do believe keyword itself will be a driving factor. Keyword coupled with extension will be ...

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Nope, seemed to work out for del.icio.us (until they acquired the .com).

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Del" and "icio" are meaningless and less searched keywords. "Us" is a keyword. Has no relation to what we are referring to keyword searching. This makes me believe that you don't fully grasp the potential of these new domains.
Again, I'll share what I mean...

User searches for plumbing in their area. What are they going to type in the URL...hmmmm....... Exactly. They will search for "keyword+plumbing". This isn't 1996 anymore. Thousands of new plumbing companies have been created. More of such have websites. Each year, new graduates become entrepreneurs or IT and are starting businesses. Almost 20 years has past since such changes. More people on the internetS now than 15 years ago yet new gtld bashers are hoarding .coms to make money and sell domains that make no sense for $xx,xxx. In reality on planet earth, no mom n pop plumbing company will buy a domain over $xxx. Then such .com with the plumbing keyword sits in the parked status.
Now the new .plumbing domain comes along and it opens new possibilities and chances for plumbing companies to become visible. Too many for us to reg.
search engines spider their site in combination of the .plumbing domain and boom! Their page comes up above the .com.
Sorry guys, search engines are smarter than us nowadays.
Nuff said

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Almost right MD, but here is the problem. If it is all about what the search engines will do... Why register MyCompany.plumbing instead of MyCompanyPlumbing.com? Because, it is all about the search engines, right? Why should my domain matter? Because, there is only one MyCity.plumbing and that is taken by a domainer and I guarantees he wants $x,xxx+. So where are the options for end users in new gtld's. What has changed?

So why pay $40 to register a .plumbing and who knows what to renew it when I can just get MyCompanyPlumbing.com for $10 and renew for $7-$10.

There are only 2 things that trump a good domain name and that is good SEO or big advertising bucks, and both of those can easily run into the mid $xx,xxx for a local plumbing company. So the most sensible thing to do would be buy MyCityPlumbing.com if available for sale, instant business guaranteed! With little to no SEO or advertising needed and I bet it's getting 10+ type-ins a day depending on the city.. instant business....

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@MobileDesigner I was referring to the part where you mentioned. "They would only rely on the url once they know the company name." Everything else is out of context because I can only read 1 post at a time or go back through and click multiple times to read your reply in context to the replies before it with the new update, my bad :mad:. No bearing whatsoever on the context, but it did go with what you had to say about the URL once known.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Almost right MD, but here is the problem. If it is all about what the search engines will do... Why register MyCompany.plumbing instead of MyCompanyPlumbing.com? Because, it is all about the search engines, right? Why should my domain matter? Because, there is only one MyCity.plumbing and that is taken by a domainer and I guarantees he wants $x,xxx+. So where are the options for end users in new gtld's. What has changed?

So why pay $40 to register a .plumbing and who knows what to renew it when I can just get MyCompanyPlumbing.com for $10 and renew for $7-$10.

There are only 2 things that trump a good domain name and that is good SEO or big advertising bucks, and both of those can easily run into the mid $xx,xxx for a local plumbing company. So the most sensible thing to do would be buy MyCityPlumbing.com if available for sale, instant business guaranteed! With little to no SEO or advertising needed and I bet it's getting 10+ type-ins a day depending on the city.. instant business....
exactly. why would having the keyword in the extension make it any better than having it before the dot? i asked mobiledesigner this before and he never answered it. he claims to work for a search engine (google?) but he if he does then he should know google ranks based on content way more than domain keywords and if he thinks they'll start ranking by extension, he's wrong. its susceptible to the same abuse that domain keywords are. even if they do start to use the extension as a basis to rank on it won't be long until its changed as they mass abuse ensues.

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Lol!
I did not claim that I worked for google. I work on a search engine.
We think that .com is king, but from what we all seem to agree upon is that its content, not the domain.

If the purpose of a plumbing company is to buy web presence, then would it be better to buy the .plumbing over the .com? Who's going to search "my company plumbing .com" in a search engine? Wouldn't they search without the .com?

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Lol!
I did not claim that I worked for google. I work on a search engine.
We think that .com is king, but from what we all seem to agree upon is that its content, not the domain.

If the purpose of a plumbing company is to buy web presence, then would it be better to buy the .plumbing over the .com? Who's going to search "my company plumbing .com" in a search engine? Wouldn't they search without the .com?
of course they're not going to search for whatever keyword .com but no matter if the top results end in .com, .ca, .de or .plumbing the content of the site should dictate rank overall.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So where are the options for end users in new gtld's. What has changed?
In keeping with the sense of the claim of "prove me wrong" as MD eluded to, is there a disadvantage of regging city.plumber ?

IMO, no...there is no disadvantage.

What? The disadvantage is its a new TLD??? Even though it is an exact match geo keyword term?

Is there a reason why google would "de-rank" or "de-list" the name because it is a new gTLD? No.

The only reason that the person would "buy" CityPlumbing.com over City.Plumbing is someone is trying to sell the first. A sale needs to be made.

A smart and savvy business person, given the options, might in fact buy the .com AND reg the .plumbing.

And seriously...there is not an SEO guru in the world that can convince me (perhaps everyone) that google does NOT look favorably on exact keyword domains and in SHORT TIME will adjust their algorithms to justifiably rank these.

When I saw .co outranking .com in some search terms, that was an eye opener for me. No reason at all did the dot com argument win.

NostraDomainus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In a nutshell, Domain Names primarily serve 3 purposes for me (whether in a personal, private or commercial context):

1) Domains are an unique identifiable Universal Resource Locator which directs Internet visitors (including myself) via computer devices to Hosted Content I share online.
(ex: my 'modern fathering' blog for single Dads'; star wars themed + my son's jedi.ext website (he's 6); or my 1-word.ca Canadian photo sharing site; or my private Web Design '.guru' business)
Each has it's own URL specifically 'pointing' people/computers in the direction of the unique content found upon accessing it :)
At a technical level, this is simply an assigned name/number (via rego) which I gained control over for the amount of time I pay a registrar to keep the domain assigned to me (cross-fingers no-one steals it :) )

2) Domains are also inherently an 'as uniquely rememberable name I brand and market toward a targeted demographic which I hope to attract - being as 'sticky' to the advertisee as possible, and (for the most part), meets the expectation of a visitor with finding related content (related to the 'keyword' of the URL) for which they seek (ex: in buying a widget from me (or my affiliated partner)'. [hehe, or something like that.]
That is, said URL associates said content via 'keywords'; the URL keyword(s) tell visitors what may be expected to be found there, with URL keywords being a 'high level descriptor' of the related content; content which 'drills down' more robustly into the subject matter of said 'high level' keywords(s) using longer keywords, and semantically related keywords & content. (For example, content as disseminated into 'Webpages' which gain their own unique URL/keyword identifier to the unique content specifically housed there under the 'umbrella' of the primary URL - more content and optimized SEO attracts more 'clout' in SE and by extension, increased traffic (for potential 'monetization' of 'conversion')).

3) An 'in-demand' product/resource I can sell/upsell/flip for major and minor cashola - as Billy Gates once said 'Domain Names are the fastest growing economic instrument of all time.
(ex: taking a domain name hand-regged for $30 one day and re-selling it for $3500 the next. No Website included. Adding Website also possible of course, which can be sold together or seperate of Domain Names. ie: added-value)

...or something like that :)

Long may your big domain jibs draw!!

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
pointless arguments or debates on what Google will do, when none of you mentioned yahoo :)

why would someone use keyword and .com is search?

because they are looking for related website with .com extension.

perhaps they don't trust .plumber .plumbing .toilet. leaking .photography .photo or .pics

what are disadvantages?

.plumper .pulmbing .tiolet .leeking .fotography .foto .picks and .toolong

:)

imo....

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
People I know do NOT use .com in a search. And I don't.

When I am on google, I look for the keyword or phrase...period.

If I need a plumber, I search for the name of my town Plumber (insert the name of your town before plumber)

I will share something that I have yet to fully understand. While working, I do see a lot of people go to google foreverything. For instance, if that person is on this site (DNF.com) and then wants to go to twitter, the go to google.com first and then enter twitter.com in the on google and then click on that link. This shows (to me) that the internet still is not fully understood in functionality. But, that is how they were shown and that is what they practice. Many have no idea what that browser window is all about. Bizarre.

manyagem

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We shouldn't forget the power of offline advertising. If you're a local plumber, driving a van around town, mytown.plumbing on the tail looks a lot more memorable than mytownplumbing.com (well, it does to me, others may disagree). There will also be ads in local newspapers, flyers etc. A memorable name looks best, imho.

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We shouldn't forget the power of offline advertising. If you're a local plumber, driving a van around town, mytown.plumbing on the tail looks a lot more memorable than mytownplumbing.com (well, it does to me, others may disagree). There will also be ads in local newspapers, flyers etc. A memorable name looks best, imho.

How? 99.999999999999% of the human race does not even know .plumbing exist. I guarantee 99.99999% of people will type in whateverplumbing.com instead of whatever.plumbing even though you are advertising whatever.plumbing....

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There will also be ads in local newspapers, flyers etc.
Have you seen a lot of ads so far ?

Or have you run any personally ? This would be a good real life test.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom