Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Social.com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueSkies

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of respect for the experience of the members here and would like to hear your thoughts on the name Social.com

This is the 6 letter dictionary word. I have been the owner of this domain name since the first registration in 1995 (please note that I am DNF Verified).

I am interested in:
  • What is your appraisal of the name and why?
  • Would development increase the value (given the current saturation in the Social Networking space)?
  • Would the name be of greater value to a person/company outside of the United States? How can foreign markets best be reached?

Your kind opinions are appreciated!

Thanks,

- BlueSkies

lukeeales

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Simply a stunning domain name. Value is six figures, I would pitch it around a quarter of a million dollars to end user. So many possible uses, a great keyword, and it looks and sounds so good too.

Proper development increases value. A domain like this, developed properly into a popular website earning revenue, would be worth millions of dollars. Social networking isn't your only option here.

Sure, there may be big buyers in Europe/Asia, but the US has to be the best place to sell a prime 1-word dictionary .COM.

PS. Good luck with the sale :)

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
its a 250k - 500k domain

stockshark

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow what an awsome domain. I would say low xxx,xxx for a domain investor, but if you found the right end user you could fetch mid xxx,xxx to high xxx,xxx. I guess it really would depend on how long you wanted to wait. Good luck!

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
$100k - $250k is the ballpark

petrosc

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It has ovt 192 w/ext, which is not stunning but is good nevertheless. I would say high $xx,xxx is the absolute minimum for this name. A fair price would be low $xxx,xxx for both seller and buyer, if the buyer is a domain investor. If you find an end user, you can reach maybe mid $xxx,xxx.

Investing a few thousands and developing it into a social networking site would probably represent the best development option and it would certainly increase it's value tremendously, after you have had a few thousand signed up members. Then the buyer would not only paying for an excellent generic, but also for a brand with members+personal data.

Would the name be of greater value to a person/company outside of the United States? How can foreign markets best be reached?

If we are talking about an end user, I think it doesn't really matter.

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would be interested to know how much traffic it gets and what type of traffic. If the traffic is mostly financial, then I don't see the point of building a social networking site. Just the name, I would guess $150k based on other sales. eg Opportunity.com also 150k.

tristanperry

Domainer & Web/Software Dev
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow, amazing domain.

Low - mid xxx,xxx as a minimum.

Proper development of this domain could increase its value greatly (it's a great domain, and could command a nice fee if this received good amounts of traffic... it's got great potential).

DNP

Trust & Reliability
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
low $XXX.XXX

ctc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
An outstanding .com with great potential value.
If you dont need to sell it now, dont. Its value will never decrease, but increase instead.
IMO..
Develop it instead into Social Networking space or something thereof.
I dont think the name would be of greater value person/company outside of the United States or english speaking country. Its a very specific word that identifies social networking.

Gl with it

allanh

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am sure this name has been appraised once or twice before.

afloat.com

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
this name has been appraised on every domain forum multiple times.
This guy is either just showing off or gathering exposure for the name.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is a must develop domain IMO, especially with the current market for social networks and large companies buying them out.

I am not sure of the value of the domain but it is at least 6 figures. After developement, possibilities are endless.

Congrats on the great domain.

Gregoire

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
this name has been appraised on every domain forum multiple times.
This guy is either just showing off or gathering exposure for the name.

It was stolen, that's maybe why you remember it.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would agree in the six figure range at least, without any development. I don't think development matters so much in order to get a good price for this name, the value here is in the name itself. Look at what YouTube sold for, that was purely for the development and traffic the site had gotten - almost any name can be developed into profitability. YouTube would have been worth reg fee without the development, but Social .com has worth just for the name.

Anyway, any development should target the US for sure, and then all other english speaking countries.

I could see it being a social portal - with sections for social forums, social networking, social dating, social blogs, social groups, etc. - this word can be used beyond just dating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators