Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Tech.com - since 1992

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IllinoisOTM

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! After searching for the last two weeks, I think this might be the best place I've found to post this question. This is a great community.

Does anyone have a feel for what tech.com might be worth?

As some background...
In 1992, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign registered Tech.com as the online home of the University-sponsored Research Park. The domain has housed several different sites since then, and is now holding some information about research done here that has been successfully commercialized by outside companies. It's not a high-value use for the domain, but no one has come up with a better idea yet.

A legitimate party recently contacted us with interest in buying the domain. Illinois is facing some pretty severe budget problems right now, so we're willing to consider selling, but we don't really know how to set a baseline figure for the negotiations.

Is it $xxxx, $xxxxx, $xxxxxx?

We don't have to sell, so if now is a bad time, we can keep the domain until a future date when prices are looking up. I know in the end the name is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it, but it'd be nice to have an idea of the range we should be looking at.

Last edited:
Domain summit 2024

rns621

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a name. 7 figs at least IMO
Edited to add: Prepare for a barrage of low-ball offers. This name is a GEM. Shop it around, see what kind of offers you can get. I wouldn't be surprised to see this go for mid-7 figures if not more.
Edited again: Seriously, who wouldn't want this name? Besides the big tech companies and blogs, this name is a piece of history. Looks like you may have solved Illinois' budget issues :) Definitely the best name I've ever seen come across this forum, good luck with the sale

Last edited:

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Amazing domain name.

rns621 is absolutely right - this could go for mid 7 figures.

With 3-4 bloggers, you could so easily build the next TechCrunch on this. And if you think big, maybe the next CNet.

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Tech.com is a definite $5-10 million name.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LOL you guys are hillarious, a lot of talk but no dollars?

Its a nice name, no doubt but because its the nicest thing around this month doesnt make it worth as much as sex.com.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nice domain for sure but no way it's going for 7 figures, you guys are way too enthusiastic. It's not in the same league as sex.com. How many domains have actually sold in that range - you can count them with both hands.
Low six figures sounds more realistic to me, provided the right end user is found.

bmugford

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The best name I have seen on this forum in a long time.

Brad

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

LOL you guys are hillarious, a lot of talk but no dollars?

Its a nice name, no doubt but because its the nicest thing around this month doesnt make it worth as much as sex.com.

Just because someone doesn't have the money to buy it, it does not make it less valuable. A house on the beach is still $5M in California even if 99.9% of people can't afford it.

Brad

Gee

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
400K without traffic or revenue or website

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hope we get to see who's right! Sex.com is the best name on the net... I honestly don't think this is far behind. I hope to see this at the top of DNJournal.com list soon.

bmugford

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is the type of domain with a really high ceiling to the right buyer. No one can accurately predict what a domain like this would sell for.

It depends on the buyer, venue, etc.

Brad

IllinoisOTM

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone.

I know that nobody is going to be able to perfectly predict a price, but the responses are still useful. The more people who weigh in, the more informative the picture that is formed.

This is the type of domain with a really high ceiling to the right buyer. No one can accurately predict what a domain like this would sell for.

It depends on the buyer, venue, etc.

Brad

I agree with you here, Brad. One other question then, is what would be our best option for getting the domain name in front of the right person?

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is a bad time to sell right now...but that may not matter with this name and if more than one person/company gets into the bidding....I can see it reaching high 6 figs or more.

I can tell you that the party who contacted you will most likely not be happy that you are doing your homework :)

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

I agree with you here, Brad. One other question then, is what would be our best option for getting the domain name in front of the right person?

On this forum is a great start. I would be surprised if you are not courted. I think Sedo.com may be the best right now.

bmugford

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It my opinion it is worth Mid $XXX,XXX on a bad day. To the right buyer it could go well into the $X,XXX,XXX range. There are too many factors that will come into play.

This will always be an amazing domain today or 20 years from now.

Brad

owntag

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's a $2m - $5m domain name.

You may need to contact SEDO.com to broker this type of domain.

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@illinoisotm I did PM you, but I'll post more here; one option is to find a broker to get you and the right buyer connected. The second option is to contract one of the marketplaces (afternic.com, Sedo.com) to broker the name for you. Or three, find a buyer yourself/post a for sale notice on tech.com and see if any offers come in :)

bmugford

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's a $2m - $5m domain name.

You may need to contact SEDO.com to broker this type of domain.

Yeah, I think SEDO.com would have the best network to move this domain for a huge amount of money.

Brad

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

1john2004

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
$200.000-$500.00 real price for a reseller and possibly more for end user with a strong idea in mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators