Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

closed Tech.com - since 1992

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmugford

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
And don't let dreamers inflate your expectations so you end up losing out on an easy all-cash deal. Seven figures would be nice for a name like this, but since there are probably just a couple companies that might actually pay this, nobody here can tell you that you'll get this for sure.

BTW, Moniker is holding a substantial auction in NYC next month and this is the type of name that could garner interest.

http://www.domainfest.com/NewYork2010/auction

And here is the inventory from Moniker's auction with $1M+ reserves. As far as I am concerned Tech.com is better than all but a couple on the list.

alcohol.com
reactors.com
exchanger.com
directoryassistance.com
casualdating.com
testing.com
stocks.com
quotes.com
program.com
grant.com
cable.com
byowner.com
assurance.com
thehamptons.com

$50 - $150K is not a realistic offer for this quality of domain. It would sell for Mid $XXX,XXX at any premium auction with an almost unlimited ceiling to the right buyer.

Brad

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And here is the inventory from Moniker's auction with $1M+ reserves. As far as I am concerned Tech.com is better than all but a couple on the list.

True - although, of course, having a $1M+ reserve doesn't mean anyone will actually pay $1M for each of those domains.

bmugford

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
True - although, of course, having a $1M+ reserve doesn't mean anyone will actually pay $1M for each of those domains.

Of course. My point is the quality is much higher than most of the domains with $1M+ reserves in that auction.

To be honest I can't believe Moniker accepted most of those with reserves that high.

Brad

Last edited:

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As far as I am concerned Tech.com is better than all but a couple on the list.

NOT true, several of those names have far better roi just parked some are worth $800k-$1M , no joke.

Tech would simply by parking it NOT return $1M as quick as some of these below... You buy it to brand a tech site period, not because of traffic or ppc or affiliation. The fact is for a 7 fig name the NATURAL targeted traffic lacks, period.

These are all far better names!
alcohol.com
stocks.com
quotes.com
grant.com
cable.com
assurance.com

bmugford

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NOT true, several of those names have far better roi just parked some are worth $800k-$1M , no joke.

Tech would simply by parking it NOT return $1M as quick as some of these below... You buy it to brand a tech site period, not because of traffic or ppc or affiliation. The fact is for a 7 fig name the NATURAL targeted traffic lacks, period.

These are all far better names!
alcohol.com
stocks.com
quotes.com
grant.com
cable.com
assurance.com

There is more that goes into the value of a domain than parking revenue. That is A factor, not the only factor.

As far as traffic goes only two domains on the list (ByOwner.com / Testing.com) have a higher Alexa rank.
Quotes.com also has a higher rank, but shows stats for a different domain.

Many of these generics get far less traffic than you would expect. Stocks/Cable show about 2-4K hits/month with Compete.

Brad

Last edited:

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is more that goes into the value of a domain than parking revenue. That is A factor, not the only factor.

As far as traffic goes only two domains on the list (ByOwner.com / Testing.com) have a higher Alexa rank.
Quotes.com also has a higher rank, but shows stats for a different domain.

Many of these generics get far less traffic than you would expect. Stocks/Cable show about 2-4K hits/month with Compete.

Brad

I know more is involved in valuation and it isnt all about parking and thus why tech is NOT a 7 figure name. It fails the basics, traffic, immediate use ( targeted traffic ), parking roi and the word itself is not as good imo as those. Like I said incredible name for a brand but you use that to build on, it isnt a business from day one. A lot of those names I chose ARE, ready to make dollars be it via parking, affiialte etc.

jmo :)

bmugford

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know more is involved in valuation and it isnt all about parking and thus why tech is NOT a 7 figure name. It fails the basics, traffic, immediate use ( targeted traffic ), parking roi and the word itself is not as good imo as those. Like I said incredible name for a brand but you use that to build on, it isnt a business from day one. A lot of those names I chose ARE, ready to make dollars be it via parking, affiialte etc.

jmo :)

Personally I would take Stocks.com and Quotes.com over Tech.com (others I might consider as well with more research), but at the end of the day I would take Tech.com over most of the rest just for the branding potential. It is hard to put a price on branding, there is no real price guide.

All these domains have a really high ceiling to the right buyer. I mean Tech.com could sell for $500K. But if I saw it sold for $1.5 - $2M I would not think it was that far out of line with the quality of the domain going to the right buyer with a plan.

Brad

JB Lions

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So everything from 400,000 - 10 million :) Quite a range. There are all kinds of end users where low 7 figures is nothing to them, major tech companies out there, that would probably love this domain.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are all kinds of end users where low 7 figures is nothing to them
Yet 7 figure domain sales seldom happens. Just because they have the means to pay doesn't mean that they will or even should.
You need to justify the expense to the shareholders too, believe me, they usually frown upon prestige purchases. Tech is good for branding but not for ROI IMO. That's why don't see more big ticket sales, end users sometimes get 'it', they understand the value but cannot easily justify the cost to their upline.

INVIGOR

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

JB Lions

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yet 7 figure domain sales seldom happens. Just because they have the means to pay doesn't mean that they will or even should.
You need to justify the expense to the shareholders too, believe me, they usually frown upon prestige purchases. Tech is good for branding but not for ROI IMO. That's why don't see more big ticket sales, end users sometimes get 'it', they understand the value but cannot easily justify the cost to their upline.

You can have a company like Apple, Google, MS etc who have billions and can use Tech.com for latest technology news, tied into their current or upcoming products. All kinds of possibilities.

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Just an example with Google, they have a site up that says - Insights from Googlers into our products, technology, and the Google Culture. Great idea but horrible location - http://googleblog.blogspot.com/

A subdomain of their own product, kind of known for spam. Tech.com would be a major improvement. And again, a million + is nothing to Google.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Instead of looking at what people are asking for, let's look at what domains have been selling for.

So far this year the top domain prices have been (according to dnjournal - all prices in US dollars):

Slots.com - $5.5 million
Dating.com $1.75 million
Photo.com $1.25 million
Flying.com $1.1 million
Poker.org $1 million
Credit.Fr $851,875
Guns.com $800,000
Files.com $725,000
BoardGames.com $450,000
LongIsland.com $370,000
CGM.com $365,000
PartySupplies.com $360,000
Screensavers.com $335,000
Software.de $303,182
Pilot.com and imoveis.com.br both sold for $300,000

(I'll stop there).

So the question is - where would this domain go?

FormerDnForumer

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Having been involved with plenty of big ticket deals, I think you would be insane to settle out less than $1m for this name, even despite the woes of the economy.

If you need some assistance, let me know. An experienced broker is more likely to get you those sorts of numbers. Either way best of luck.

enterpryzman

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
And don't let dreamers inflate your expectations so you end up losing out on an easy all-cash deal. Seven figures would be nice for a name like this, but since there are probably just a couple companies that might actually pay this, nobody here can tell you that you'll get this for sure.

There are a few people here that would give you $50-150k right away if given the opportunity to buy it (maybe more). Who knows, maybe this is the best the market will yield right now. It's anyone's guess what you could get, but know that you would get what I mentioned if you needed to sell it without spending months marketing it.

BTW, Moniker is holding a substantial auction in NYC next month and this is the type of name that could garner interest.

http://www.domainfest.com/NewYork2010/auction

I would throw my hat in the ring for such a price range........ready-willing-able. That is without any plans and simply as an investment <<<< at least I am honest.

Enterpryzman

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Slots.com - $5.5 million
Dating.com $1.75 million
Photo.com $1.25 million
Flying.com $1.1 million
Poker.org $1 million
Credit.Fr $851,875
Guns.com $800,000
Files.com $725,000
BoardGames.com $450,000
LongIsland.com $370,000
CGM.com $365,000
PartySupplies.com $360,000
Screensavers.com $335,000
Software.de $303,182
Pilot.com and imoveis.com.br both sold for $300,000

(I'll stop there).

So the question is - where would this domain go?

Hard to do it that way Draggar and here is why... beauty is eye of beholder stuff, dating.com imo is a better name yet someone interested in Tech doesnt care what dating.com got :)

" We " can use that scale to pick a slot but the end user just doesnt play that way. As resellers though I think its hard to pass Guns.com or touch that 7 fig number reseller, in fact it just shouldnt.

Bionic

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
TECH.COM is a little too general. There are dozens of good alternatives for a product review site, to me this means an end user offering anything you want is not going to happen, too many other options out there.

$250K - $400K

Firesale : $150K - $200K

Good luck, and if you can get close to a $million I would take. Personally I would develop you'd have 100K traffic in 6 months, but Universities aren't businesses.

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think selling this to a domain reseller (at most likely well under $1M) would be a huge mistake. If anything, approach the multitude of major corps that have company valuations of over $100M directly (or perhaps through a broker)... there are at least 20 end-user organizations that could EASILY see the ROI of this name (as a mid-7 figure investment) just from a branding point of view.

Tech is universal and pervasive both on a business & social level, unlike other great terms such as alcohol, guns, slots, gambling etc which are lucrative, but perhaps not with as wide a reach.

Also, tech is used in multiple languages as an abbreviation for technology, so you're opening up even greater markets since it doesn't even need to be translated (as a domain name) in many regions where English is not the primary language.

Just my $0.02 (and yes, I'm a tech addict :p )

Rob

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
TECH.COM is a little too general.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

That's the beauty of it...

nano.tech.com
med.tech.com
information.tech.com
green.tech.com

beautiful name for current technologies plus unlimited growth for any future technologies.

The name is henceforth ageless.

Bionic

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes but ironically the value is the mega brand name, not the generic term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom