Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

closed Tech.com - since 1992

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

enterpryzman

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not nearly as much as everyone is shouting here in my opinion.It is a great name BUT, not a multi-million dollar name. $ 700-K range.
Enterpryzman

IllinoisOTM

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You would not have any right to sale the name though I assume, discussion only.

Yaffiliate

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So, you have heard from several informed members about their opinions of what this might go for.

My suggestions is if you like what you are hearing. Contact Moniker.com and Latona.com (if you want to PM me I will send you contact information) about placing it one of their upcoming live auctions. That is going to be the best bet for you to realize "market value".

Like other real-estate, now is not the best time to be selling but there are buyers out there.

IllinoisOTM

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You would not have any right to sale the name though I assume, discussion only.

Right now I'm here to get an idea of what the name appraises for. If the OTM decided to make a recommendation to sell tech.com, the Board of Directors would still have to approve any final sale contract.

I started this discussion to help us build a picture of what the market looks like as we decide whether, how, and when to work towards a sale. Everyone's comments have been very helpful in that regard.

Edited...
I'll reiterate that this is the start of an exploratory process. Because I still have to cover my normal responsibilities at work, I've stopped responding to PMs offering to buy the name or broker a deal. We're not at that point right now.

Last edited:

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wonder if selling it would even be a drop in the bucket for the college's financial issues?

I'd say develop it - you are where a lot of news starts and new ideas come from especially if you have a good tech department (imagine if MIT or Worchester Polytech had it?). I'm sure it gets a good amount of type in traffic so you could easily get advertisements on it plus free advertising for the college. Students could write articles for it as assignments / projects and your web-design (and similar) majors could use it for their projects (imagine how happy they'd be with (id).tech.com as their website)?

If you're looking to sell, I think minimum mid $xxx,xxx range but if you hold out maybe in the $1-$2M range to the right buyer (and that'll take time). Develop it and get a good site on it and it could easily pay for itself.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can we please have your name and contact information for the proper channel at the University?

IllinoisOTM

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@TheLegendaryJP. I've PMed you contact information. Rather than publishing it here (and increasing the arrival rate of junk mail and spam), I'll work through PMs for now. I'm happy to take any conversation into email or phone if that works better in particular cases.

If you're concerned about a possible scam, the moderators already locked the thread until I provided proof of authenticity, and re-opened it when they were satisfied of its legitimacy.

Deleted member 70408

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This section is for discussion about appraisal. No solicit for sale or making offer is allowed here.

Thanks,

Ok then... I think this name is worth at least $25,000, and I would back that appraisal up with cash rather than just hot air.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i think its worth 45k and would also back it up with a suitcase full of cash

Deleted member 70408

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the buyer could hypothetically pay $25,000 while simultaneously make a $25,000 cash donation to the University's scholarship fund. Just thinking out loud.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the university already knows I would add all those offers together :) lol

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But that's with your Canadian funny money.

Youre right, when its not at par or above :)

Honestly we can talk all day, this thing will (imo) go to an auction house so its kind of pointless now.

bmugford

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Don't let a domainer poach this domain from you for far below it's potential value. Put it on the market with a broker like SEDO.com and you will find a great end user sooner or later.

I can't remember any domain I have seen on DNF in recent memory that was as impressive or had as much potential as Tech.com

Brad

Deleted member 70408

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Honestly we can talk all day, this thing will (imo) go to an auction house so its kind of pointless now.

Agree... all kidding aside, I think it's worth between $150-200k to a domain industry person and the sky is the limit to someone else. If I owned it, I would reach out to Sedo and offer them the opportunity to present something interesting.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's funny though, I feel horrid for the guy who had the initial interest...been there :( ...again.

bmugford

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's funny though, I feel horrid for the guy who had the initial interest...been there :( ...again.

Yeah, I know the feeling. You would figure more premium owners would try to get an idea of value if they had no idea like this OP did.

It is amazing how many domain owners will just take the cash without doing any independent research, potentially leaving a lot of money on the table.

Brad

Deleted member 70408

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Don't let a domainer poach this domain from you for far below it's potential value. Put it on the market with a broker like SEDO.com and you will find a great end user sooner or later.

I can't remember any domain I have seen on DNF in recent memory that was as impressive or had as much potential as Tech.com

Brad

And don't let dreamers inflate your expectations so you end up losing out on an easy all-cash deal. Seven figures would be nice for a name like this, but since there are probably just a couple companies that might actually pay this, nobody here can tell you that you'll get this for sure.

There are a few people here that would give you $50-150k right away if given the opportunity to buy it (maybe more). Who knows, maybe this is the best the market will yield right now. It's anyone's guess what you could get, but know that you would get what I mentioned if you needed to sell it without spending months marketing it.

BTW, Moniker is holding a substantial auction in NYC next month and this is the type of name that could garner interest.

http://www.domainfest.com/NewYork2010/auction

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom