Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Tech.com - since 1992

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vbgamer45

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
xxx,xxx would be better if it could be developed more. ex U of I student myself surprised no one asked about the domain before.

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think you're much better off keeping the name and developing it. Some names are simply better off sold at a lump sum for just their keyword value, and this name is not one of them.

Besides advertising revenues, sponsorships, etc. that are to be had, which can all be profitable, the real gain in developing this is building a name for the University of Illinois.

I left high school at grade 11, so I have no knowledge of what looking at colleges might entail, so this isn't my best place to comment. I do know that certain colleges are known for their programs in particular academic areas, and that there is a lot of competition for a prestigious status.

By making Tech.com the official source for the latest news on technology (especially from an academic perspective rather than a consumer perspective), I feel as though that would act as a major contribution to the University of Illinois' brand.

Any dollar amount you might land for the domain name on its own is peanuts compared to what awaits after development. Tech is a massive field which is only getting bigger, and this is just the medium that any college would kill to own.

If for one reason or another you have deemed development to be impractical and you really do want to sell the domain name, I would recommend listing it on Sedo. Lots of eyeballs will land on the name, including those of influential bloggers who can get you just the coverage you need to get in touch with the right end-user.

As for the actual valuation, if I really had to put a price on this name, I would say low $xx,xxx,xxx. It's four letters, no misspellings, no confusion over plurals, and I have reason to believe it would have meaning in multiple languages.

Bionic

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's a little colloquial for a prestigious academic directory, unless your thesis is on 3D computer mouse or TB memory sticks.

Technology.com HiTech.com Gizmo.com Shopping.com OfficeSupplies.com Reviews.com HotProducts.com ....

Could be very big brand, but it's a very competitive market, $10million is dreaming.

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
grcorp:I would say low $xx,xxx,xxx. It's four letters, no misspellings, no confusion over plurals, and I have reason to believe it would have meaning in multiple languages.

:?: You would take a 6 fig+ generic domain and comment on it being four letters and no misspellings???? really? geeeez :disappointed: and then low 8 figures??? dude...

FormerDnForumer

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As someone who sold one of the names on this list for upper six figs, I can assure you that tech.com is right up there in value. It's also no indication of value what they sell for or don't sell for at these silly auctions, especially in the dead of summer. Worst time to sell a major name.

And here is the inventory from Moniker's auction with $1M+ reserves. As far as I am concerned Tech.com is better than all but a couple on the list.

alcohol.com
reactors.com
exchanger.com
directoryassistance.com
casualdating.com
testing.com
stocks.com
quotes.com
program.com
grant.com
cable.com
byowner.com
assurance.com
thehamptons.com

$50 - $150K is not a realistic offer for this quality of domain. It would sell for Mid $XXX,XXX at any premium auction with an almost unlimited ceiling to the right buyer.

Brad

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
With the current market this will go from $50K to $150K only. This is a realistic appraisal, if the domain goes higher that's great! Personally, I will only pay this domain for $10K.

The price value depend on buyers budget. The appraise valued that was posted here, is just a hype to make this domain active in the market. Only one way to find out, bring this to sedo or moniker or latonas auction.

FormerDnForumer

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A ridiculous comment, typical of the level of the business this board sits in.

With the current market this will go from $50K to $150K only. This is a realistic appraisal, if the domain goes higher that's great! Personally, I will only pay this domain for $10K.

The price value depend on buyers budget. The appraise valued that was posted here, is just a hype to make this domain active in the market. Only one way to find out, bring this to sedo or moniker or latonas auction.

EM @MAJ.com

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If that's what you think, I don't care.

This is my opinion, and no way will change yours.

By the way, what business are you in?

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:?: You would take a 6 fig+ generic domain and comment on it being four letters and no misspellings???? really? geeeez :disappointed: and then low 8 figures??? dude...

They're both positive attributes.

I think you may have misperceived my usage of the term "misspellings"... by that, I did not mean that the domain in question is spelled correctly (that should be a given), but I mean that the word is virtually impossible to misspell, therefore the user of this name will not be subject to lost traffic from typos. Words such as Entrepreneur, for example, are easy to misspell.

This is an inherent benefit from the name being four letters, as there are less letters to get confused over. A name like Technology.com is significantly longer and in turn, more difficult to spell, thus making it inferior to Tech.com.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that this appraisal was for domains owned by members.

The OP has done nothing to show ownership.

The OP appears to have demonstrated that he may work for the university.

But doubtful the WHOIS record and the OP are one in the same.

This should be moved to LEGAL in case the domain comes up for sale without proper authority.

Hey, call it like I see them.

Just because I might work for a university does not grant me the rights to sell university property.

I might work for a hospital but that does not give me the right to sell our MRI or CT Scanner.

It's the same principle - claiming authority does not give one the authorization to do something with someone else's property.

It is ludicrous that this thread is going on for as long as it has and offers being made when this person has yet to demonstrate any authority as expressed by the University itself to the forum.

Any one of tens of thousands of people attending a university or working at a university can have an .edu email if that was the "proof" provided.

The University and its IT Department and Security and Board of Directors should be the sole authorities to be inquiring into and authorizing these matters.

Perhaps an email to that University and a link to this thread may clear matters up in quick fashion.

JB Lions

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

That's pretty insane, all 3 sentences. So if somebody brought this domain to you and said you could have it for 20k, you would turn that down?

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Ok now you're just being ridiculous Watcher and not presenting yourself as an educated domainer. $10K are u serious? I wouldn't expect such comments from you especially being around since 2002. You're acting like the young ones. You must be the lowballers commented about in so many blog in regards to this name. Vulture as mention in one.

You are more then entitled to your opinion Watcher.... but it's one thing to have an opinion and it's another to have an educated one.

Last edited:

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
$300,000-$1,5mi. As always, it all depends on what the buyer is willing to pay, only the lower end is a lot higher than with many other names.

EM @MAJ.com

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok now you're just being ridiculous Watcher and not presenting yourself as an educated domainer. $10K are u serious? I wouldn't expect such comments from you especially being around since 2002. You're acting like the young ones. You must be the lowballers commented about in so many blog in regards to this name. Vulture as mention in one.

You are more then entitled to your opinion Watcher.... but it's one thing to have an opinion and it's another to have an educated one.

Your educated because you can appraised higher? I have no doubt this domain will sell (if they go for sale).

Post what you think the appraised value of the domain today, and maybe I will learn from you. You seems to be a nice guy, calling me vulture!

shiffy

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that this appraisal was for domains owned by members.

The OP has done nothing to show ownership.

The OP appears to have demonstrated that he may work for the university.

But doubtful the WHOIS record and the OP are one in the same.

This should be moved to LEGAL in case the domain comes up for sale without proper authority.

Hey, call it like I see them.

Just because I might work for a university does not grant me the rights to sell university property.

I might work for a hospital but that does not give me the right to sell our MRI or CT Scanner.

It's the same principle - claiming authority does not give one the authorization to do something with someone else's property.

It is ludicrous that this thread is going on for as long as it has and offers being made when this person has yet to demonstrate any authority as expressed by the University itself to the forum.

Any one of tens of thousands of people attending a university or working at a university can have an .edu email if that was the "proof" provided.

The University and its IT Department and Security and Board of Directors should be the sole authorities to be inquiring into and authorizing these matters.

Perhaps an email to that University and a link to this thread may clear matters up in quick fashion.

He already stated he works in the Office of Technology Management...Someone has to represent the university in this matter and I doubt its going to be some random guy from the board of directors doing research.

Good question. The University of Illinois owns the domain. The Office of Technology Management (OTM) is the office at the university that manages the commercialization of University-owned intellectual property. As a University employee working at OTM, I represent the University in this discussion.

If the university is interested in selling this domain, I would suggest sending press releases from the university to all of the top tech bloggers, etc. I'm sure they would write about it and it will draw some attention to the domain from prospective companies/buyers. See what kind of offers you get.

Last edited:

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I did verify with the Director from the Office of Technology Management (OTM) and she approved to let the OP to ask for the appraisal for the name.

It does not mean that he has the authority to sell the name.

The decision to sell will be from the Board of Trustees so don't expect to make an offer here or from PM and the OP can decide to sell or not.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Johnn, for the clarification.

I don't think it was that clear previously.

Verification is crucial in these matters.

Doubtful anyone would pump a bunch of money into something this important without verification.

Apologies to all but thanks for clearing up the matter, Johnn.

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

He already stated he works in the Office of Technology Management...Someone has to represent the university in this matter and I doubt its going to be some random guy from the board of directors doing research.
As I previously explained, claiming to work for the OTM is not carte blanche to conduct business on behalf of the University. Nor do I think a random guy from the board of directors will be doing research. But, considering it is university assets, they would have a vote in the matter.

ok10

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
IMO, the problem with $5 million + valuation is that it is not an obvious large ecommerce category, the way shoes.com, hotels.com, insurance.com would be. Still, if companies like TechCrunch can easily afford say $500K/year for 20 years for a perfect brand (and I have no idea if they can or not), then $5 million payable over 20 years with interest should be a realistic goal.

enterpryzman

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

If the university is interested in selling this domain, I would suggest sending press releases from the university to all of the top tech bloggers, etc. I'm sure they would write about it and it will draw some attention to the domain from prospective companies/buyers. See what kind of offers you get.

I sit on many-many boards of various org's and part of doing what we do is being properly versed in order to make the best decisions for the org we represent.

In this case, too many here are assuming way too much, this is a person asking questions about value of an asset that the group may or may not sell.....pretty simple, end of story.

Today, the way the economy is and how hard it is on schools throughout America ( and I would guess other places ) it would only be natural to evaluate assets and determine if value could better serve the org in another area of that org. rather than being underused.

This has nothing to do with legal issues, nobody is claiming to sell anything, this is an inquiry. If learning about something you govern on behalf of a group or org is a crime, myself and millions of other proud volunteers / board members should be in jail. To the contrary, you have a responsability to understand what you are voting on or you may cause a bad decision to be made and then yes, it can become a crime.

Best wishes to all,
Enterpryzman

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom