Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Tired Of Seeing The Same Members Name At The Top Of The Sales Threads List Every Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am

Seems like every day you see the same user's name and practically the sames name getting bumped up every day, especially in "Domains For Sale/ Offers Wanted" section.
Some days you scroll down the list an see that users name in all of the top 5 or 6 threads, where he has bumped his thread with an "update/price drop/pm from another forum or whatever"

Do we need to end this section?
Put more restrictions?
Have a minimum offers posted.

Just looking for opinions...

Fixed price section has issues too....

Sellers starting prices way above value, then dropping them 10% every day for days on end. This seems unfair to the guy who just wants to set a price and hopes to get a few views before they are pushed to the next pages by bumpers.

Maybe we need to fix it so replies won't bump a thread up the list anymore?

Feel free to give your imput.

By the way, it's just my opinion, and not that of the Staff of DNF!

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some people put more effort in than others. If you use a proactive approach to your business, you deserve more exposure.

The rules are the same for everyone. If someone thinks their name should be at the top for longer, it's upto him or her to do something about it.

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If the sellers are bumping their threads up, its because of other buyers who might have missed this thread.

missed the post i meant..

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A good step would be some honesty in most of the pstings. 99% of the names that use the word "premium" definetly are NOT. Good names sell themselves, without all the contrived BS about them.

The sales sections on the this forum have mostly become a pool of recycled crap and BS. IMHO

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Just wait till the Exclusives start using the unlimited sales threads per day rule!

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good idea...

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe the same people are selling lot's of different domain names (like they paid to do) on this membership based forum...that's why they are here, in the SALES forums..

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Charging the DNF$ for that section is a good idea. But it also hits members who do not do this.

My suggestion is to setup VBulletin not to allow a repost until someone else posts in the thread. This illimanates the problem without have any discriminatory effect on the 90% of us who don't keep bumping our own threads. Exclusives should be allowed 1 bump for adding extra info or a price reduct.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Whats that old saying?? ...if it ain't broke don't try to "fix" it?

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't see it as a huge problem. People paid to post sales after all. If there is a few people constantly posting and bumping their own threads maybe allow only one bumped sales thread per day.

I know I have bumped a thread that fell off the front page a day or two later to see the domain or website quickly sell - more than once and I am sure others have as well. Like the search engines most don't venture past the front page.

Devil Dog

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why beat around the bush and just come out and identify who is doing the bumping and speak with them one on one about it?

It's not like they're "ruining" that specific forum.

And like was said previously, people paid good money to get the right to post names for sale here, no?

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you add dnf$ to each post then people will have the ability to have multiple posts which can be more confusing. In addition, the dnf$ charge would be a double charge to all members in here. If you paid to be an exclusive, then you have to pay to post, I don't like that thought of that, paying twice. I think it works as best it can right now.

Some Ideas:
I would like to see this but I think it would difficult to manage, if a member sells a name, he/she would be able to list another name that same day. So, it would be 1 new thread per day unless you sell, in which case you could keep busy and the forum would have a very active stock of names. New ones more often. The key would be that the seller would have to post sold to in effect close the thread.

I did have another suggestion I sent to the mods earlier. I would like to see one more forum section. It would be the Bargain BIN section, all domains in this section would be for at $100 or less. I think that will free up some space in the other sections for those "better" names. Giving way to a middle tier names sections by default.

I know I personally go in spurts, I don't sell for months and then bam I'm there everyday. I could very well be one of those people, not breaking any rules but I post at 4:30am so it might sit there for a bit. There is no real way to qualify one's names as good or bad. I mean many of us know these "premium" name do not qualify.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sales have this way of sorting themselves out as they have always done...to try to be some control freak and make everything too orderly is going to only result in more chaos.

HasRob

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm not here often enough to notice what the OP mentioned. But I will say this. It seems when I do put something for sale in either the offer or fixed price forum, within a very short period of time (in most cases) its at the bottom of the page or on page two within hours.

Personally, I would just make those two forums 50 threads long. We had the same problem at a photography forum I was moderating at and it did solve the problem. As for constant bumping, different issue. One bump per forum per day maybe?

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Seems like every day you see the same user's name and practically the sames name getting bumped up every day...

I have always been in favor of charging both a commission due upon successful sale (5-10% sounds about right), plus a small listing fee for each thread. The commission due upon sale is something already being done on at least 2 boards.

The small pre-paid listing flatfee (I suggest about $2) is like eBay does. It would stop a lot of valueless names being listed over and over again if they need to pay it each time as it adds up over time.

These fees would also bring DCG some needed extra income since his ads likely do poorly as most all other forums perform badly with typical CTR's of roughly 1/10th of 1% in my experience.

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have always been in favor of charging both a commission due upon successful sale (5-10% sounds about right), plus a small listing fee for each thread. The commission due upon sale is something already being done on at least 2 boards.

The small pre-paid listing flatfee (I suggest about $2) is like eBay does. It would stop a lot of valueless names being listed over and over again if they need to pay it each time as it adds up over time.

These fees would also bring DCG some needed extra income since his ads likely do poorly as most all other forums perform badly with typical CTR's of roughly 1/10th of 1% in my experience.

The commission is not a bad one but it wouldn't work here. On other boards as with eBay they are free to join and you pay a commission for sales. Here, we are a paid community therefore, we would be getting beat up to pay twice and no new members would join if they knew they would have to pay to join and then pay to list. OUCH...

smashfactory

Queen of Domainland
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
of course people like to bump- they are here to try and sell domains, in the sales area- there have been plenty of times i posted something, only to revive it a few weeks later, instead of posting all over again, and sold it then-

people are selling in there, like they aim to do in that forum- that is what has made dn and even namepros the "hot commodity" they are- the sales - there are a ton of discussion boards i can go to for free to talk about domains-

but dn is known as a sales board- money flies here- its like the floor of the stock exchange- dont take that away-

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom