Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

dotcom resellers sitting on a dotbomb?

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I also see that the telephone system based on 00 is losing out to the budget 01x in my neck of the woods :D

stop, mole, stop. dun be incisive. stop!

The postal/email thing is exactly my point - its a tech shift, not a different way of doing the exact same thing.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sex is a constant. food is a constant. since when was dotcom a constant? I didn't even know the word dotcom until 1994.

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I just don't see the argument for .biz or .info! I can see the continuing justification (and preference in many cases) for a specific country's tld (.co.uk, .de, .it, .ca, etc.) which really should be preferred for a legitimate country operating within a territory.

That aside, .com has no real competition outside of this sphere. It is the internationally accepted generic worldwide domain! Stop fighting the trend mole, hundreds of millions of people can't be wrong!

Now, whether a different system altogether will arise doing away with domains / tlds entirely is another story ... I see tlds become device specific maybe (with each mobile device having its own IP in the future, etc.) .....

Mole please ... stop! The war is over ...

DNS Kidd

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by serothehero
The achievement is not to buy mexico.com for $750K but to see the upcoming potential especially in .us domains. I will continue to buy generic, available .us and .biz domains!!

The late '90's economy drove .COM to break new ground. Names became expensive, and scarce. That was part of the mystique. Overseas firms saw .com as a necessity for admission to US markets, an idea gleefully promoted by marketing and advertising interests. It was the only game in town.

A good name got you a meeting with a Wall St. investment firm, and a bankroll to start your eBusiness money machine.

No more....

A name, no matter what extension, is now a smaller piece of the business model, which it always should have been. A good idea can fly with a name like qwerty.com (easy to type?), while a great name would never rescue a poor model, with uninspired management, and/or lousy site design.

The idea that names rule is no longer true. Business is getting smarter about the eCommerce game, and finding that their trademarked name, or a brainstormed eBay style name, can be just as effective as a top dollar generic.

A high-dollar, consultant inspired .COM was seen as a type of insurance policy, the portal through which all customers (and revenue) would pass, and then remember, for many return visits.

Not today...

Quality .COM's failed. There was no security net. The name did not guarantee traffic, and in fact, sometimes became a liability. A name that promised greatness, didn't work, for a site with almost nothing but promises behind it.

My enthusiasm lies with .us, as the most anticipated, and most useful TLD, in years.

It's just....right.

It fits like a comfortable slipper, no matter what the purpose. Selling machinery, marbles, or medicine, the TLD adds a comfortable glow to the name prefix. In moving high society collectables, or hardscrabble low margin appliances, .us is universal in its ability to make people feel comfortable using it.

A good .us will not rescue a bad site. But it will get people in the door, and that's half the battle.

DNS Kidd

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NameBox

Mole please ... stop! The war is over ...

:D I did.

Chad

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Your sisters, mothers, dads, uncles, cousins, neightbors that have never even touched a computer have heard of "dot com".

Have they heard of dot ws?

Have they heard of dot biz?

Have they heard of dot tv?

No, they havent.

Thats why .com is the king of all extensions.

It would take mass marketing and billions of dollars to "embed" any other extension into people's minds.

Then and only then will any other extension be able to compete with .com.

Sure some other extensions might seem more practical for certain things but people don't know practical...they know dot com.

Period.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry mole, but no matter how many times you try to convince people that dotcom is dead - it is far and away the strongest tld to own domains within.

Domain sales in .com are still strong, there is simply no comparison in terms of values and volumes of sales in any other tld.
16 years later, .com is still strong, but its interesting how the industry evolved over that time.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom