Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

.EU domains sellers on crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
acronym007 said:
Just so we're clear. Here is post #1 of this thread.

My point is and always will be that no .eu is worth the equivelent .com.

Generally, I don't disagree with this, nor should most sane people, however I already explained the possible scenarios in which this theory will be tested, as I explained that in my academic esssay entitled [thread=145315].EU domains buyers on crystal meth[/thread].

First of all my theory is that the strongest premium .eu names will be worth about 70-80% of .com equivalents. I am aware that it's always hard and presumptious to put such figures out of blue, so never mind the numbers, let's just say the strongest .eu names will command the second most .com equivalent worths. While all other extensions are probably lucky to get up to 10% of .com worth equivalents, the best .eu names will go sgnificantly higher than that and will hover around that 70%-80% mark.

And my second theory is that some .eu names will exceed .com values in terms of actually being sold. How so? Well it's easy to compare figures for sold names, but how do we compare values of unsold .com's? Say we have perceivingly valuable .com's which we have trouble selling for what we perceive we can get. Say we have a domain like, I don't know Marriage.com (or any suach random generic name) and we are sure we could sell that name for some high $$$,$$$ amount or whatever. Yet, nobody is coming up with that kind of money, and so here we are sitting on that unsold name assured that it is worth certain amount (but which we are not getting from anybody), yet at the same time say Marriage.eu sells for 50k (or whatever decently valuable figure we are able to get).

My question becomes, how do we compare the two? Did the value of Marriage.eu which sold for 50k, actually exceeded the value of Marriage.com which remains (and will remain) unsold for the asking amount?

In my opinion it does, and it will.

Domain summit 2024

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MediaHound said:
advertising.eu up to $25,100 - still with two days to go
Shills gone wild! I'd buy into it more if the bidders had a bit more credibility, like some other auctions. Maybe Sassy squat can hype it up a little more, and sucker somebody in with real money.

barefoot

Go barefoot!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sasquatch said:
With any kind of online bidding place that is selling something which is perceived as very valuable, heavy bidding always occurs at the very end.

The key phrase here is "very valuable". The problem with shill bidding is that it creates a false sense of desire for something that is in actuality not very valuable. If an item is truly valuable, there's no need for the seller to induce other bidders to make false bids in order to inflate the high bid amount.

And although heavy bidding does occur quite often at the end of a fixed duration auction, that's based on true demand, not manufactured demand.

sasquatch said:
We all do, on ocassions, if not most of the time. Saying you don't probably reveals your own skewed perception.

Well of course, I've paid more for an item than I should have, when the adrenoline flows during an auction -- but not "most of the time". Only on those rare occasions when I simply had to have the item. I allowed my emotions to get the better of my business sense on those occasions.

sasquatch said:
In either case, I'm not talking about bottom feeders and speculators who are not married to this kind of name, but are only in hunt in order to get the best deal out of it.

Well, the "best deal" isn't going to be had when shill bidding is involved. :)

sasquatch said:
I'm talking about end users/speculators who are in love with this kind of name. Who are dead set on having it. Say they have 200,000 budget for it, meaning they will gladly or readily pay that much for it, to them it does not matter if the previous bids are fake. Since they have no way of knowing whether the bids are fake or not, and since they already have the budget set aside, in principle to them it does not matter too greatly whether they win this auction for 50,000 (without shill bids) or whether they win it for 180,000 (with shill bids in it).

But how does an end user/speculator determine a budget for a particular domain name? Don't answer -- that's a whole other ball of wax. :)

My point here is that there far more potential buyers who prefer to be careful with their money and buy at the lowest price they can, than buyers who don't care what price they buy for, as long as they get the item. More "smart business decision" buyers than "emotional gotta have it at any price no matter what because I'm a collector" buyers.

Shill bidding attempts to extort the most money possible from the latter type of buyer. It's my view that a seller encouraging shill bidding only serves to dissuade a large number of potential buyers (the "business decision" buyers) from bidding on the item at all, a strategy which can often backfire for the seller.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nobody has any proof that any of the bids placed up till now were shill bids, and yet you talk about them matter of factly.

I think it's pointless to talk about this name further until the auction eds and we see if the name really sold, and for how much.

kiran

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think 50K is a reasonable price for a TLD that has a lot of potential.
If this e-bay auction picks up global media attention everything is possible, it could just sell for a million dollars (now that would not be reasonable)

barefoot

Go barefoot!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sasquatch said:
I think it's pointless to talk about this name further until the auction eds and we see if the name really sold, and for how much.

This thread is about the inane value expectations some .eu domain sellers have for their names. And I think $xxx,xxx (or even mid/high $xx,xxx) is way too much for any .eu domain this soon after launch. Sorry! :)

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
barefoot said:
This thread is about the inane value expectations some .eu domain sellers have for their names. And I think $xxx,xxx (or even mid/high $xx,xxx) is way too much for any .eu domain this soon after launch. Sorry! :)

As I said before, launch date has nothing to do it. It's about grabbing unique opportunities for the savvy ones, before they lose them to others more smarter and/or richer. The clues pointing to that are all over the place.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How many .eu you have sas ? it seems youre the one whos ramping up this crap extension,all hype like many who fail,
.com will always be king, give me .co.uk all day and night over the crappy .eu.

Goodnight and end of story !

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great keyword + rubbish extension = rubbish domain name. (And vice versa).

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sasquatch said:
Unfortunately, and as I said many times before, .us extension is damned in the fact that it is a little "ugly cousin" extension for the American marketplace.
Like you have a clue! I would give that statement of yours absolutely NO credibility at all.
This is not an "ignorant prick" bashing
Sure it is, look who it's coming from.
It came too late and too "defective" (way after .com established itself in the American business and consumer psyche) to be a strong contender in that same American marketplace
Baloney! Several countries have successful ccTLDs that florish right along with Com. Even other TLDs have been accepted (like info in Germany) along with Com or the ccTLD.
its known that American marketplace is traditionally very riggid and conservative when it comes to marketing.
Again, says you. I have absolutely no respect at all for your opinions, especially when you always state them as fact.
While I have no doubt that .us is a viable alternative for smaller businesses and end users, it has no clout with the traditional big money for the above reasons.
Evidently you haven't been watching the big money players who have chosen the .US ccTLD specifically to target the US consumers. Care to make a small wager on whether I can produce proof that your statement above is false?
Such is simply not the case for .eu, because due to the strategic and opportunistic reasons eventually .eu will built and establish itself as the European version of .com.
Yeah right! Again, that's your opinion and only YOUR opinion. Whoop!:biggrin:

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:
Like you have a clue!

I'm a fast learner. You on the other hand, are a dinousaur right out of the stereotypical Hollywood movie.

Stocdoctor said:
I would give that statement of yours absolutely NO credibility at all.

Who gives a shit, except you?

Stocdoctor said:
Sure it is, look who it's coming from.

Up yours too.

Stocdoctor said:
Baloney! Several countries have successful ccTLDs that florish right along with Com.

ccTLDs succeeded in other countries because of the local marketplace demand, .us has no such demand because .com de facto established itself firmly as American ccTLD from day 1. How slow you have to be in order not to see that?

Stocdoctor said:
Yeah right! Again, that's your opinion and only YOUR opinion.

Unlike your opinion which is isn't yours anyway.

And by the way this is .eu thread, and you attempts to hijack it for your own purposes is obvious from miles away.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sasquatch said:
And by the way this is .eu thread, and you attempts to hijack it for your own purposes is obvious from miles away.
Not at all! I'm all for .EU and hope it does well. Your excessive hype is the problem.

Also, I'm sure I'm not the only one who is tired of your anti-American crap. It rears it's ugly head over and over again in your posts and threads on the .US extension. I don't care for the Pres and the war etc either, but your carrying it to domains is just overboard. Keep your political opinions in the politics section, and stop your USA bashing. You're stinkin up the joint!

I don't see any country listed with your name, or flag displayed. That's the difference, I'm proud of my country and you keep yours a secret and hide. What's that all about?

hookah

Semi-Netizen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
acronym007 said:
Ok, I have to ask, what's up with all of thse .eu speculators? I made some offers on Sedo and other places and these guys want six figures for domains that even the .com hasn't sold for. Boy are they in for a rude awakening. I think .eu has some potential but I'm not sold that it is the next best thing as I think IDN's will do better. I hope the offers I made weren't to any DNforum members. LOL. Hopefully my fellow members here are more reasonable. Before anyone ask, no I don't think they should give them away but six figures for a a two word .eu today is way out of line IMHO. Have any of you come across the same thing? Any similiar experiences I would like to hear them. Cheers,

Acro

They've just set up 'firewall' prices. Everybody is waiting for how the .eu market will look like. I mean owners of trendy and generic names of all kinds. Sure there are some immature sellers wanting to earn fortune selling almost crap or low-value names but they'll not succeed.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:
Not at all! I'm all for .EU and hope it does well.

I know you are, but not because you are some Hollywood leftie leaning liberal type, but because the "popular wisdom" among .us holder is that the success of .eu will help .us too. If it isn't for that you could care less.

Stocdoctor said:
Your excessive hype is the problem.

What excessive hype? I'm just saying some things that any dumbass should know by know. In fact I do feel I'm doing a social domaineer service to those who sleep or can't think with their own head. And what about your hype, almost every freaking post you make you use it to promote .us extension either explicitly, or by implying something between the lines.

Stocdoctor said:
Also, I'm sure I'm not the only one who is tired of your anti-American crap. It rears it's ugly head over and over again in your posts and threads on the .US extension. I don't care for the Pres and the war etc either, but your carrying it to domains is just overboard. Keep your political opinions in the politics section, and stop your USA bashing.!

It has nothing to do with politics, but the way ignorant rednecks like you are given a free reign, not only on this board, but in this country overall. You are tired of my crap, but how about allowing me to be tired of your crap? You and likes of you are quick to bash the whole world, and it is only appropriate that you receive some "lovin'" in return.

Stocdoctor said:
I don't see any country listed with your name, or flag displayed. That's the difference, I'm proud of my country and you keep yours a secret and hide. What's that all about?

Who gives a shit about "my" country or flag? Why would I wear that on my sleeve anyway? What's special about that? Nothing! What difference does that exactly make? In fact being a rabid nationalist or patriot is a typical characteristic of small nations, and also brainwashed indviduals in large, powerful countries, who have nothing else in their life to cling on but to that "I belong" crap. When they are left alone to navigate through this life they are scared shitless because they are useless so small and insignificant, only when they latch on the "powerful tit" provided by their masters is that they find themselves. You don't belong anywhere fool, you are just a used peon in the game that others are controlling. You are a puppet whose strings are pulled by those much smarter than yourself. Greatness is not measured in 60 hour working weeks so you can be forever financially indebted to banks, or afford satellite radio subscription for your gas guzzling F150, but by the quality of life that is equally accessible to the individuals across wide variety of social spectrums.

Unlike you I don't have you any idols, and shallow obssessions with countries, flags, ethnicities, religions or any other kinds of "mass cults" (and their symbols) don't impress me. Instead, I give my allegiance to my family and friends, and also to this physical earth we live on (I don't chew and spit tobacco on the street, when I finish eating my nonpesticided apple I neatly put it into the waste basket, I refuse to support the U.S. meat industry by not eating their sick steroid pumped cows...)

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sasquatch said:
Who gives a shit about "my" country or flag? Why would I wear that on my sleeve anyway? What's special about that? Nothing! What difference does that exactly make? In fact being a rabid nationalist or patriot is a typical characteristic of small nations, and also brainwashed indviduals in large, powerful countries, who have nothing else in their life to cling on but to that "I belong" crap. When they are left alone to navigate through this life they are scared shitless because they are useless so small and insignificant, only when they latch on the "powerful tit" provided by their masters is that they find themselves. You don't belong anywhere fool, you are just a used peon in the game that others are controlling. You are a puppet whose strings are pulled by those much smarter than yourself. Greatness is not measured in 60 hour working weeks so you can be forever financially indebted to banks, or afford satellite radio subscription for your gas guzzling F150, but by the quality of life that is equally accessible to the individuals across wide variety of social spectrums.

Unlike you I don't have you any idols, and shallow obssessions with countries, flags, ethnicities, religions or any other kinds of "mass cults" (and their symbols) don't impress me. Instead, I give my allegiance to my family and friends, and also to this physical earth we live on (I don't chew and spit tobacco on the street, when I finish eating my nonpesticided apple I neatly put it into the waste basket, I refuse to support the U.S. meat industry by not eating their sick steroid pumped cows...)
hahahahahaha Is this guy whacked out or what? LOL Tell me again about the apple stuff. I thought that was pretty good.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Quality entertainment at affordable price.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sasquatch where are you from?

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
dvdrip said:
sasquatch where are you from?

Where are sasquatches usually from?

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is this trivial pursuit?

Chelsea

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
sasquatch said:
Where are sasquatches usually from?

That got me, Could have sworn they come from Canada...???

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators