Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Firefox Creates Add-On to Block Parked Pages!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not cool.

Firefox has release an add-on that blocks parked pages in an effort to thwart Typo Squatters.

If that were not enough, the have created a project to identify an list the parked pages.

We partnered with the Parked Domains Project to develop this toolbar, which is a project that identifies parked/spam domains. These blocked domains have also been removed from our search results. For the full list of sites blocked, check out their Web site at http://www.ivegotafang.com/

According to FireFox, there are 42 million useless websites.

Full Story

Another big issue I have with this is who is this little tidbit of back patting -

VeriSign estimates that 88 percent of .com and .net domain names resolve to a website. Broken down, nearly a quarter of the 90 million .com and .net domain names the company analyzed lead to one-page websites, which include include under-construction, brochure-ware and parked pages in addition to online advertising revenue generating parked pages. 12 percent doesn’t resolve at all.

Think about this a minute.

dot com is king? King of what? Parked pages?

If there are 42 million parked pages, then 24% of all domains registered are parked?

If 24% of .com and net are parked, 21.6 million are parked.

The report already states that nearkg a quarter of the name are one-page websites (we know what those are) and about 12 percent don't resolve at all (we forgot to point the DNS? :eek: :approve:)

When you get down to it, if 21.6 are parked and another 10.8 do not resolve, then more than 1/3 of .com and .net are driving this who typosquatting and cybersquatting debate.

Being that this is now out, the biggest concern that everyone should worry about is the other browsers picking up on this, especially being an open source project.

Think about it. What is the best way to stop all the squabbling of TM issues, typos, and parked pages?

Block them?

Essentially ending parking dead in its tracks.

Last edited by a moderator:

EG.domains

GenericDomainMarket.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They are blocking any parked domains. It looks like they extracting domains with any parking company DNS and add it to their list.

I checked many of my domains (parked at Sedo, Parked, NameDrive, etc..) and all of them in the list. It's not about typo .. all domains I checked was generics & llll.com

Is this legal?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They are blocking any parked domains. It looks like they extracting domains with any parking company DNS and add it to their list.

I checked many of my domains (parked at Sedo, Parked, NameDrive, etc..) and all of them in the list. It's not about typo .. all domains I checked was generics & llll.com

Is this legal?
You hit on something that I did not want to point out in my blog.

Yes, it goes beyond typos and it is about parked.

I think for the benefit of FireFox's audience they can easily grasp the idea of the profane word typosquatted vs parked. One sound evil and vile and they want to portray it this way.

Parked would not turn on too many light bulbs for them.

Naturally, we know how to park, redirect DNS etc.

It would not take a genius too much to figure out which servers need to be blocked.

I had no idea this had come about.

And nearly 1,500 downloads in less than 2 days.

EG.domains

GenericDomainMarket.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is total f*cking b*llshit..we need a class action lawsuit asap..not all parked pages are typos..in fact most are'nt! Some of the best high traffic names are parked!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is total f*cking b*llshit..we need a class action lawsuit asap..not all parked pages are typos..in fact most are'nt! Some of the best high traffic names are parked!
You're preaching to the choir, bro.

Sometime back someone mentioned that it was odd that Google was not pushing Firefox much anymore.

There was speculation over the Android project.

Well, here's your answer -

Why promote a product that is trying to bring down your bread and butter.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyone have the current market share %'s for different browsers ?

I wonder if the parking companies are aware of this..this is major news..I don't think they can legally block out non tm & non typo parked domains. Parking is a legitimate & very large business online and many Internet users rely on the pages as a vital information source.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyone have the current market share %'s for different browsers ?

I wonder if the parking companies are aware of this..this is major news..I don't think they can legally block out non tm & non typo parked domains. Parking is a legitimate & very large business online and many Internet users rely on the pages as a vital information source.
The Snowe bill was just a fart compared to this.

If this becomes widely adopted and other browsers start paying attention then it is game, set, match.

Last one to leave turn the lights out.

This is bad news for sure.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yahoo & Google will not likely ever adopt this (indiscriminately blocking all parked pages) as a large portion of their advertising revenue is generated from parked pages..hopefully if anything they will be fighting this. Something needs to be done quickly, we need to get a lawyer on this ASAP as being an unfair business practice, discrimination, and a few other things to start. Imagine the damage this could do money wise to parking & domain values.

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would assume it is legal, adblocker plugins are also legal. It is the users choice. We can only hope that not too many people download this plugin.

Donny Simonton

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First, they already have tools that are similiar to this parking page blocking system, so I'm not too worried about it. They only have 1,500 total downloads. And when you really think about it, only geeks use firefox anyway. Sorry for those who use firefox. :)

If firefox itself were to automatically have this installed, yes it would affect revenue by less than 10%, but it's not automatically installed. The plug-in is probably only installed by the whiney *****es that complain about domain parking to begin with. So I hope they all install it.

Domain Parking is supposed to provide relevant information that the surfer is looking for, and I think most if not all parking companies do that today.

Donny

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So, if I put up a mini site with tons of ads, will they start to block that?

Where will it end? Who decides if a page should be blocked or not?

IMO they should be going after phishers and not parked pages - I haven't seen ANY parked page act like the real thing and try to get your information.

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Donny Simonton

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yesterday on our system Internet Explorer was 69.7% of all unique visitors. I'm showing firefox is much less than people claim at 17.9%.

Just because people download something doesn't mean they use it. :)

Donny

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yesterday on our system Internet Explorer was 69.7% of all unique visitors. I'm showing firefox is much less than people claim at 17.9%.

Just because people download something doesn't mean they use it. :)

Donny

Well said!
I use Explorer too.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And when you really think about it, only geeks use firefox anyway. Sorry for those who use firefox. :)
Are you saying internet explorer is a better choice :lol:

Donny Simonton

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sure it's a better choice, it doesn't have this add-on available to it.

Donny

MrDude

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
To those people ranting about mozilla, they never created this plugin, a 3rd party with absolutely no affiliation with the company created it as they thought it was helpful, if somebody did the same for msie im guessing you would blame bill gates? If you had an idea for a plugin you could release your own, it wouldnt then become mozillas idea and property would it?

Im not for the plugin, id rather they didnt exist but I certainly dont help, im a hypocrit, I would hate it if my site users had the adblock plugin but I use it myself with massive filter lists to make sure I never see an ad again.

About this plugin in particular, ive just looked at the screenshots and to be honest the block page looks worse than most parking pages I have seen.

Edit:
Just read the FAQ page.

Are there versions for other browsers?

Not yet, but we're working on them.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well all mainstream browsers have third-party addons.
I prefer Opera BTW ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom