Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Firefox Creates Add-On to Block Parked Pages!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I discovered the ivegotafang thing last month after seeing it in my server logs.

http://www.dnforum.com/f77/parked-domains-thread-349086.html

I read my logs quite religiously, and they definitely crawl regularly. It's not a browser plugin that worries me, but if one of the big boys that has millions of users (G or Y) adds it to their toolbar, *THEN* we could have some real issues.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Someone at mobility posted this:

http://www.indexusupport.com/2009/01/27/parked-domains-dump-em/

Parked domains - dump em!

27 Jan, 2009 News

Don’t you just hate your directory being filled with useless parked domains? Have no fear, IndexU is on it’s way to get rid of those listings for you!

You know the pages I mean. Those URL’s that expire and get parked at companies like SEDO, or Buydomains. They serve no purpose in a directory, absolutely none.

They contain no information, no data, nothing useful at all. The only thing they’re good for are for the people who bought the domains so that when someone clicks on one of the links they earn a few cents

IndexU is going to change all that. At this moment (in SVN) we have implimented the ability to block domains that are listed with a number of companies that do domain parking.

I hope we can add a spider check soon to check for existing listings that are parked.

Results 1 - 10 of about 36,500 for
parked domain blocker.

Last edited:

nascar59

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hello there,Doc Com interesting info,I will keep a watch on it and let people know thanks

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

afloat.com

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey Thanks for the link Doc!..... I can honestly say this is the most useful thing you have ever posted in the time I've been here.

Now I wont have to look at those annoying parked pages anymore.

Dont feed the Troll

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Blocked by Duck Duck Go Toolbar

gulfwaterfront.com is probably a waste of your time.

Blocked URL: http://gulfwaterfront.com/

Close | Proceed Anyway | Search

I LOVE IT!!!!.. It even BLOCKS out ADSENSE!

Dont feed the Troll

Hey, I'm just taking your advice VirtualT.... Contributing to domaining remember?

Is a matter a fact, I plan to contribute a LOT more since you brought this to my attention. :yes:

tekz999

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Kevin Ham will probably have a headache after seeing this, and maybe will buy firefox to fix it.

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
26,290 downloads so far in about 14 months time

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
A little off topic here.... Does anyone know of a way to add a shortcut into Firefox for Microsoft Mail?

I know Firefox offers their own email program, but I'm pretty happy with MM.

26,290 downloads so far in about 14 months time

I'm going to spread the word among all my friends, hopefully that number will double or triple in the next 14 months. :yes:

---------- Post added at 03:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 AM ----------

If a person gets a parked page and they don't like parked pages, they'll simply go back. With this tool they'll get a page saying the site is blocked and go back. What is the real difference?

Some parked pages you cant tell if their parked, many are disguised to look like real web sites, so after you spend 5-10 minutes reading and looking for what you want, it's a that point you find out what a waste of time it was.

Speaking for myself, I think this is great... Even though I have 300+ domain parked, my revenue could drop to nothing and I really wouldn't care. Parking Revenue has dwindled to nearly nothing anyway.

If this really takes off, it might give all of us the incentive we need to develop the names we have, Could be a blessing in disguise you know.

Donny Simonton

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The last I heard the project was dead and they had updated the system in more than a year. The thing I always laughed about the project is every page you load they get a request. So they know where you are surfing.

Donny

enterpryzman

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Take this news and start selling mini-sites....turn neg. into a pos. and earn a great deal. I am sure that parking companies will start providing something other than a parked page.
Enterpryzman

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom