Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Firefox Creates Add-On to Block Parked Pages!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The concern here should be that someone, who is small time, has built a tool that anyone can use and copy.

It is not just an add-on.

There is an option to install the maker's search engine (just like google's or yahoo's search page devoid of all ads).

This search engine blocks all 42 million+ parked pages and typos.

And guess what.

It works and works well.

Yes, I see this potentially as being a model for future browsers and search engines.

There is mention here by many who say they just move on when they land on a parked page.

Really?

You mean domainers know what a parked page looks like?

Honestly, do you think the other people on this planet are domainers parking pages?

This is an attempt to rid not only typos and parked pages but feeds right into the hands of The Snowe Bill and all that Congress is *****ing about.

There are 1.2 billion PC's, 4 billion mobile devices, 6.5 billion people in the world.

How many of them are domainers?

How many of them know that they have landed on a parked page?

How many of them even know what parking domains is?

What they do know is the page they just landed on is not where they want to be, not what they are looking for, and full of ads.

Sounds to me like they have a stronger voice with their lawmakers than domainers do.

There is really no point in debating this issue.

Fact is, its out there, it works, it works well, and looks to me like 2000 plus people in less than a week want it.

Hell, that's traffic we'd love to get on some of our names.

Just be prepared to adapt to changes as I do believe changes are coming.

Vinnee

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just dev the names worth the effort, sounds like a new type of parking scheme needs to be developed. So what about all these make it rich on the Internet schemes where the Joe user can have a web site up and running in minutes? Those pages suck! Are they filtered? There's always a loophole/workaround...just watch the crim...ls in DC.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Not to mention that allegedly the plugin maker is sitting on $10 million cash according to his resume.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not to mention that allegedly the plugin maker is sitting on $10 million cash according to his resume.
With his credentials, some VC might like what they see and hear.

I am hardly freaking out over this.

But if there was ever the scenario of a perfect storm brewing up, this may be the makings.

It is just bad timing more than anything.

Heat on ICANN.

Department of Commerce coming out against proposed ICANN action.

Congressional committees and house sub-commitees.

The Snowe Bill.

There are too many calls to do more to protect the brands and the consumer.

Just bad timing.

And Open Source.

Vinnee

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Google is like your tv remote, just hit the on button. This new search has a huge mountain to climb. Without ads, there's no revenue. Users like options...we can't make the Internet free, too much technology to maintain and invested. Point being, there's too much commerce flowing to the web, without a place to be heard it dries up. As long as Google remains affordable to advertise, other search engines will struggle to gain market share, the stats prove this point. Nothings for free.

Parked pages serve a purpose whether the end user is attracted or deterred, it's all about reach. As we can all agree that many of our domains get hit and ads clicked, this is good for us and advertisers. Our target markets like it simple, they like watching TV (a ton), eating out, sleeping, sex. They don't want to think too much, parked domains offer a channel to filter their search. Again, our target market doesn't have a clue what parking is, unless they have to pay for it.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can someone please download firefox as a new user and see at what point do they offer the option for the plug-in? Is it a default option you have to decline or do you have to search for the plug-in afterwards and personally decide to install it after the fact? I think if they are pushing it to users obviously people will most likely just let it be installed without really knowing the ramifications of doing such. Parked generics & non tm/typo domains should in no way shape or form be blocked. What is the difference really between a small "website" with adsense on it along with some basic content compared to a developed parked.com page with links to click at the top? They are really the same, yet this tool blocks out & discriminates against the parked.com page in what I see as a unfair & fraudulent business practice.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Focus, they don't offer any such option. If they did, we'd be FUBARed.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So when you install firefox it is not offered to you at any point during install? How are people finding it and installing it? Are they sending out emails to users about it?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Correct. Right now very few people know about it. In fact, the filter probably is blocking legitimate businesses and other non-parked web sites. Parked domains are being sold by the hundreds each day, who monitors the updates? Certainly not this plugin that relies on the crawled data this person gathered. In his search for a niche project, he is opening Pandora's box. I suggest that people sign up and rate the plugin at the download page at Mozilla, giving it very low points so that it gets buried.

Last edited:

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, I use FireFox. I would have never heard of this plug in if it wasn't for thsi thread. I have another server side anti-virus spyware that does block some parked pages though.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, I use FireFox. I would have never heard of this plug in if it wasn't for thsi thread. I have another server side anti-virus spyware that does block some parked pages though.
I think the plug in just now is being pushed as of March 2, 2009.

Not to mention the pile of cash this guy is sitting on, per Acro

Google is like your tv remote, just hit the on button. This new search has a huge mountain to climb. Without ads, there's no revenue.
Not sure many here are seeing the big picture.

If this guy has VC funding and $10 Million to spend to promote it then yeah, google has some competition.

And if consumers like it google would copy it, adopt it, or buy it.

What about Baidu? Yahoo? MSN?

What if they decide to adopt it? Google is not the only player in town.

Seriously, in issues like this you all need to stop thinking and seeing things in terms of a domainer.

It is that thinking that has prompted something like this to begin with. Without parked pages and typos regged there is no need for this.

I assure you that the billions of people out there who are tired of landing on a site that they did not want to be at (every one out of three .coms/.net) those people have a much stronger voice than domainers.

Bravo. You know what a parked page looks like. Does your wife, brothers and sisters, neighbors, people you work with? Are they all parking and domainer savvy?

Quit thinking like domainers.

There are 47,000 members on this forum.

That leaves 6,499,933,000 (six billion. four hundred ninety-nine million, nine hundred thirty three thousand) people who are not on this forum.

Now you know why law makers are more interested in protecting consumer's interests over domainers interests and concerns.

Last edited:

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the plug in just now is being pushed as of March 2, 2009.
How many non-domainers, internet users know what a parked page is.

Not to mention the pile of cash this guy is sitting on, per Acro
Maybe a former domainer, or someone hiding out on this forum!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How many non-domainers, internet users know what a parked page is.
Go read the Firefox site and then the link.

First definition is typos.

Everyone knows what a typo is and they refer to it as typosquatting (typosquatters).

The example used is yotube.com.

Do go to the site and then parking is clearly explained and defined.

Then notice where this tool has effectively (not without fault) has indexed 42 million parked pages.

Maybe a former domainer, or someone hiding out on this forum!
Or perhaps it might just be someone who is an MIT graduate who has designed a system to effectively eliminate the need for brand protection and seemingly scammers.

Perhaps he has something to say to Olympia Snowe or congress.

Perhaps Al Gore did invent the internet.

This guy could reshape it for sure.

Last edited:

krossat

Rohan
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm trying the plugin using firefox and when i clicked on DNHop image in your signature, it showed me the parked page thing and suggested I be redirected to dnshop :\

It seems like a faulty system to me, there's no way they can keep updating the status of each domain all the time.

Again, those bigger forces might be the US Department of Commerce and US Congress.

There is page after page of news stories on them criticizing ICANN for its plans for the future as well as its failings in the past.

The Snowe Bill, perhaps just on the back burner?

Last week I provided links of Congressional committees and House sub-committee hearings on the internet and protecting TM as well as the consumer.

Congress is hot on ICANN's ass.

And the CEO of ICANN has resigned.

Unquestionably there are going to be some changes and the ones that lose are going to be domainers.

Take a minute and trash it at the source:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10536#reviews

Make people think it is not any good and they would not want to download it.

Leave a constructive negative response, like the pages still got through, etc.

-------------------------------------------

EDIT:

Well, it looks like you will have to either PM me or follow the green frog at the bottom if you want the full story.

Seems I broke the rules by linking the story to my blog site, which - by the way - no one has gone to.

Funny, that is where I first broke the news and that is where the FULL STORY is.

Oh well...se le vie.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Hi Donny, I wonder if using framed forwarding to parked.com avoids it being classified as a parked page?

If the answer is yes that is one more good advantage to using that method.

The answer is no. One such domain of mine that I checked is listed.

He's pretty much crawling domains and determines by their characteristics (e.g. content) if they are indeed parked or not.

copper

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm trying the plugin using firefox and when i clicked on DNHop image in your signature, it showed me the parked page thing and suggested I be redirected to dnshop :\

It seems like a faulty system to me, there's no way they can keep updating the status of each domain all the time.

Doc is going to get REAL Pissed as I know he's putting in lots of effort to that site :eek:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I doubt if it is faulty.

I just don't think it is up to date and have no idea how often they refresh their database.

Lets face it, 42 million sites blocked is a bunch.

What I mean is this.

DNhop.com was a parked page less than a week ago.

It is just now live.

On the other hand, I took a poorly built site down down from being live and parked it.

That domain is not on the list.

That one was PamlicoSound.com.

It also just went through that switch less than a week ago.

Now its counterpart that I own, PamlicoSound.net, is on the list. It has never been anything but parked.

So yes, I am aware of the lag and I think it may be just that - a lag in time between refreshing and updating.

Trust me, I've been looking at a bunch of my sites on there.

It is a real kick in the crotch. Like the example above - it is a generic geo but it is blocked.

Some may see this as just a waste of a thread.

That's fine.

But at least you all are aware of it should this start to spread like a flu virus.

I don't think there is a vaccine, yet.

Anonymous server addresses seems to be the only thing I can think of.

I am not a tech head. I do not know how it gets its information. All I know is it is working pretty damn good and if it is a week or so behind - well, what's a week when were talking 42 million sites.

Doc is going to get REAL Pissed as I know he's putting in lots of effort to that site :eek:
See explanation above.

Good. Maybe I'll have everything tweaked before the real world finds it. :approve:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators