Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Firefox Creates Add-On to Block Parked Pages!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are you saying internet explorer is a better choice :lol:

Sure it's a better choice, it doesn't have this add-on available to it.

Donny

I owe Don a drink for this. No, wait, he owes me one now for the drink I just spit out laughing! :lol:

Nice comeback.

I agree, though, with Mr. Dude - I'll admit it's easy to jump on the bandwagon and blame the big wigs but this is someone else creating it, Mozilla / Firefox might not have anything to do with it. Anyone can create an add-on, it's up to the end users to decide if they want to install it or not.

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe Google own a share/stake in FireFox? If that's the case this is never going to become an issue – Google would never allow it to become part of the default download.

- Rob

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe Google own a share/stake in FireFox? If that's the case this is never going to become an issue – Google would never allow it to become part of the default download.

- Rob

I don't know - they could insist that the code is manipulated to allow their ads but not ones from Yahoo.

It is a cutthroat competition out there.

cleverlyslick

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would assume it is legal, adblocker plugins are also legal. It is the users choice. We can only hope that not too many people download this plugin.

honestly this will be the demise of parking domains.firefox is one of the most popular browser out there and people will install it.my sister already installed it on her browser.I asked her why support that knowing that this will bring my business down.her answer was...

"parked pages suck.nobody likes em" lol.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think the owner of ivegotafang.com needs to meet ivegotfourknuckles.com.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Couldn't you just park the domains by changing the cname settings instead to avoid this? And what about parked pages that have dropped or developed, will they stay blocked too? Seems like a sloppy solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. If a person gets a parked page and they don't like parked pages, they'll simply go back. With this tool they'll get a page saying the site is blocked and go back. What is the real difference?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

- Rob
Good point but google seems to be moving ahead with their Chrome browser. In the end it's all about controlling the traffic and the Internet :)

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Couldn't you just park the domains by changing the cname settings instead to avoid this? And what about parked pages that have dropped or developed, will they stay blocked too? Seems like a sloppy solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. If a person gets a parked page and they don't like parked pages, they'll simply go back. With this tool they'll get a page saying the site is blocked and go back. What is the real difference?

Easy - someone wants to make money off of this by putting out a free add-on, shouting out that they did it and make money off of ads on their own site or by getting people to request applications.

They made an add-on to block revenue generating streams to create their own.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Easy - someone wants to make money off of this by putting out a free add-on, shouting out that they did it and make money off of ads on their own site or by getting people to request applications.

They made an add-on to block revenue generating streams to create their own.

The ultimate hypocracy would be to have ads on page that shows up when a domain is blocked. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see something like that happen.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don made some good points in that it is not critical mass yet.

And, for now, it is limited to one browser.

I am not sure of the FireFox/google connection any more.

As I pointed out, I don't see google pushing Firefox lately.

Honestly, look at this from the consumer point of view - nearly 1/3 of all websites are parked domains???

A person ends up somewhere where they did not intend to be?

Fortunately for now it is a add-on.

I hate to sound doomsdayish on this but with all the proposals on the tables, DOC and congress breathing heavy down ICANN's neck, this theoretically could become a peace pipe offering to placate these critics by protecting the TM holders.

IE, well...since when does microsoft want anyone to have any market share at all?

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"In return for setting Google as the default search engine on Firefox, Google pays Mozilla a substantial sum - in 2006 the total amounted to around $57 million, or 85% of the company’s total revenue. The deal was originally going to expire in 2006, but was later extended to 2008 and will now run through 2011."

They (Mozilla) arn't going to want to piss off Google – which if they made this part of the default download, they surely would.

There's simply far to much money involved with PPC for this to be allowed happen on any scale. There are bigger forces at play that won't allow this to become a problem.

- Rob

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are bigger forces at play that won't allow this to become a problem.

- Rob
Again, those bigger forces might be the US Department of Commerce and US Congress.

There is page after page of news stories on them criticizing ICANN for its plans for the future as well as its failings in the past.

The Snowe Bill, perhaps just on the back burner?

Last week I provided links of Congressional committees and House sub-committee hearings on the internet and protecting TM as well as the consumer.

Congress is hot on ICANN's ass.

And the CEO of ICANN has resigned.

Unquestionably there are going to be some changes and the ones that lose are going to be domainers.

Take a minute and trash it at the source:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10536#reviews

Make people think it is not any good and they would not want to download it.

Leave a constructive negative response, like the pages still got through, etc.

-------------------------------------------

EDIT:

Well, it looks like you will have to either PM me or follow the green frog at the bottom if you want the full story.

Seems I broke the rules by linking the story to my blog site, which - by the way - no one has gone to.

Funny, that is where I first broke the news and that is where the FULL STORY is.

Oh well...se le vie.

Last edited:

Vorty

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think most people who install that, already ignore parking pages.

The average user has no idea what a parking page is... I wouldn't worry too much.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
They are blocking any parked domains. It looks like they extracting domains with any parking company DNS and add it to their list.

Not exactly. I use framed URL forwarding for some parked domains and yet they are on this list.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's just another extension, it only had 1,513 downloads.. no one is gonna use it anyway.
You got me. I thought you were talking about .tel :lol:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not exactly. I use framed URL forwarding for some parked domains and yet they are on this list.
That's a good point.

The fact that a list exists at all and that it is published is not good.

Not sure how they have been able to gather all this information but if they were to share...

(gulp)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Search Results for 72.94.249.34 [reverse DNS - caerus.ivegotafang.com]

Here's a list of domains owned by the same person.

1. Bestsellingelectronicsproducts.com
2. Bigbadblogdirectory.com
3. Blogdomainlist.com
4. Cricketerslist.com
5. Diseasesandsyndromes.com
6. Expireddomainscan.com
7. Footballerslist.com
8. Footballplayerlist.com
9. Futed.com
10. Gabrielweinberg.com
11. Group-a-matic.com
12. Group-o-matic.com
13. Groupamatic.com
14. Groupomatic.com
15. Groupsomatic.com
16. Idnscan.com
17. Ipaddress2domainname.com
18. Ivegotafang.com
19. Japanese2englishdictionary.com
20. Kangadoo.com
21. Laurenmccann.com
22. Medicaltermsdefined.com
23. Medicationsdrugsandsupplements.com
24. Niftydomaintool.com
25. Niftydomaintools.com
26. Niftysys.com
27. Nthclub.com
28. Photochipmunk.com
29. Popularbizsites.com
30. Popularmoviesbygenre.com
31. Popularmusicbygenre.com
32. Popularshoppingwebsites.com
33. Popularsportssites.com
34. Popularvideogamesites.com
35. Programprocessinfo.com
36. Refundeddomainscan.com
37. Registereddomainscan.com
38. Serverslist.com
39. Streetsandzips.com
40. Streetsandzips.us
41. Symptomsandproblems.com
42. Tldscan.com
43. Usernamedirectory.com
44. Verypopularwebsites.com
45. Watrcoolr.com
46. Watrcoolr.us
47. Yprestaurantlocations.com
48. Zaplaces.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom