Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

closed Need appraisal on Guns.com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by URLtrader
Atleast $500,000 . Maybe even more for this top name.

What does that make weaponry.com worth?

You could sell not only guns.

Thanks gregr for the interest but I have a feeling of what you want to pay for this domain and I am not a very motivated seller. I looked at the domains you have listed on your site and none even come close to GUNS.COM and I'm not saying this because I take pride in my domain, I'm comparing the traffic. And if you've been on the Net as long as I have then you know traffic is gold. I've been offered $100,000 and I did not take it. I've already made that much just in the 2 years I've owned this name. So I know what the true value of this domain is and all those people who have given me their 2 cents worth are dead on. Thanks for your interest.

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gregr
What does that make weaponry.com worth?

Only a fraction of the value of weapons.com
Good try. :cool:

Too bad domain appraisers aren't buyers. :D

That would be like saying like too bad home appraisers for banks aren't buyers. Some people who work as real estate appraisers for certain banks have to give appraisals in the seven figure range, even though they couldn't afford to buy the expensive house they're appraising. Not really a valid point.

Miles

morel

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't sell it for less that $750k. Whoever said it's worth $10k is a fool. There's no reason to expect your traffic to wane, and as the advertising industry gets out of its current slump, I could see you making $100k per year with a well thought out site.

I wouldn't worry too much about seeking a prospective buyer (unless you are desperate for the money). This is such a good domain that you can let the buyers come to you. Even if the NRA didn't buy it (and I think that was the right decision), there are many, many other buyers as others have pointed out. If you try to seek a buyer you will seem desperate (maybe?) and probably won't get as good a deal.

Also, if you can, don't sell it this year. Wait for the internet to bounce back! The value of the best dot coms are much less now than they were back in the "irrational exuberance" of 1999.

Good luck :)

Originally posted by Melvista.com
Contacted them 5 months ago, they were not interested. Some people are just too blind to see gold right in front of their face.
One more time:
Darn good name for sure!
You can't sell guns from a site...can you imagine?
Controversial to the MAX!
The US regulates Fire Arms sales....BIG TIME! (sorry for screaming)
very very touchy subject...after 9/11
Still Darn good name!
Million dollar domain sales are over...(drugs.com)
the first wrong move(association) and you will have the Feds breathing down your neck...we are in war times!
Sell it for 10k
Or develop it for information purposes ...sell it for lots more...

Sell for 10k? That's nuts. This is obviously a 6-figure domain. Any rocket scientist can figure that out.

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Brutal :cry:

Look for Melvista in the new Bond movie --

"The Man with the Golden Guns.com"

:laugh:

izoot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Guns.com is a great domain and definatly worth in the six figure range.

But does having this one killer domain, entitle you to the elitest attitude of telling others that all their names suck?

Seems to me from what I know of Gregr, he's done pretty d a m n well with his "lousy" collection. I for one wouldn't mind owning some of the "lame" domains he has and has had in the past.

Melvista...I'd be curious what other names you have or have had in the past.
Having this one great name doesn't make one a superior person or developer, mostly it makes you lucky to have been there at the right time.

I don't mean any disrespect...but that slam was uncalled for....

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

I've made the same mistake before.

Spoken like a true gentleman.

The reality of the late 1990's are starting to settle in.

One thing, I am not sure of is why you would try to get an "appraisal" of Guns.com on DNF. My guess is "whomever" is using the moniker Melvista is having a fun time with you all. Hence the comments about GregR's site.

I give this troll a 9/10 since it has gone two pages. If it goes (3) I am giving this one a 10/10.

Think about it!

izopod

morel

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
* To Don Giovanni --
Your appraisals are not brutal, they are just really stupid. Why on earth would Melvista sell guns.com for 10k if he's been offered 100k? Did you not read his comment that the name makes 50k on type-in traffic alone? Did you not know that the current overture bid for the keyword "guns" is 21 cents? Given that he gets 4000 type-ins a day, it could get a potential $800 of revenue a day (if we go by the overture)! At $800/day, it would take less than 2 weeks to make the supposed $10k that you claim this domain is worth.

* To gregr --
I'm sorry, but weaponry.com is not worth 99/100 of weapons.com.

* To izroot --
You claim that Melvista has an "elitest attitude" and says that "all of [gregr's] names suck". Maybe you should actually read Melvista's posts before you disparage his name.
Here is what Melvista actually said:
I looked at the domains you have listed on your site and none even come close to GUNS.COM and I'm not saying this because I take pride in my domain, I'm comparing the traffic.
I think that Melvista is being very polite here. He is not saying that gregr's domains "suck", but that they don't compare to his "traffic".

P.S
As for Melvista being a troll, I'm going to assume that he isn't one. I typically see DnForum as an honest board free from that kind of behavior. Or maybe I'm just naive. And even if he is a troll, it doesn't matter in my opinion, because it's fun to give appraisals on these kinds of domains! :)

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dmorel
... it doesn't matter in my opinion, because it's fun to give appraisals on these kinds of domains! :)

I would have to disagree with you here. I don't see how this could be "fun" if it is a troll? Maybe I think differently.

I would agree with you that this is an honest board, but sometimes domain speculation brings out the worst people, such as paranoia, false beliefs (like owning a premium name when they don't), bad spending habits, and the list goes on. I know this because I used to appraise names professionally. Note the "used to" part.

Anyways, I can't say that I didn't get a chuckle out of this thread so maybe you were right...this was fun.

izopod

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dmorel
* To Don Giovanni--
Your appraisals are not brutal, they are just really stupid. Why on earth would Melvista sell guns.com for 10k if he's been offered 100k? Did you not read his comment that the name makes 50k on type-in traffic alone? Did you not know that the current overture bid for the keyword "guns" is 21 cents? Given that he gets 4000 type-ins a day, it could get a potential $800 of revenue a day (if we go by the overture)! At $800/day, it would take less than 2 weeks to make the supposed $10k that you claim this domain is worth.

You assume that in every search that the 21 cent link is clicked on.
I don't aways click the first link myself. You also assume that he would get 100% of Overture revenue. I assure you this is not the case.

* To gregr--
I'm sorry, but weaponry.com is not worth 99/100 of weapons.com.

Did you see the green ball with teeth?

* To izroot--
You claim that Melvista has an "elitest attitude" and says that "all of [gregr's] names suck". Maybe you should actually read Melvista's posts before you disparage his name.
Here is what Melvista actually said:
I looked at the domains you have listed on your site and none even come close to GUNS.COM and I'm not saying this because I take pride in my domain, I'm comparing the traffic.
I think that Melvista is being very polite here. He is not saying that gregr's domains "suck", but that they don't compare to his "traffic".

Melvista doesn't know my traffic.

P

prasit

I used to have a name and get appraised by Greatdomains.com for $22,766.33 in January 2002. The domain was listed in as keyword in overture at that time for $1.21 per click thru. It's now $0.56.

I sold it in May 2002 at over $100,000.

The domain is worth when someone wants it.

draqon

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
prasit, what domain was it, if you don't mind telling us?

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by prasit
I sold it in May 2002 at over $100,000. The domain is worth when someone wants it.

Nice work prasit :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom