Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Raise the price of domains!

Status
Not open for further replies.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Raise the price of domains! Domainers who register massive amounts of domains and simply park or hold onto the domain in hopes of someone acquiring the domain are depreciating the quality of the internet. The wealth of services and information that is the internet is being bottlenecked because of this.

I say, jack the price of domains up to $100-$500/year and we will soon see some more quality material on the internet.

Domain summit 2024

Thomas Nash

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think most people who run sites that do give valuable material and information would just shut down there site if it cost $500/year to renew their domain.

It sounds like a pretty poor idea if you ask me

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't see the purpose of raising the price for domains other than making the big Registrar companies even richer, while keeping domains from the very people you are trying to help.

I have a better idea, anyone who registers a domain without developing a website within 60 days must give the domain up in the case that someone else wishes to register the domain. Of course they will be paid $100-$500 per year by the new registrant. We have a deal! :eek:k:

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Probably the worst idea I've seen proposed on a domain forum.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The purpose of the raise in price is not to disallow underfunded individuals from creating websites. At $100-$200/year for a domain, it is only $8-$16/month to maintain it - easily affordable if you are running a few websites (even if they are not turning a profit).

The bottom line is, domains are simply too cheap. We can see many domainers and companies exploiting this, with what they call a "domain portfolio". By increasing the price for registration and renewal, it will reduce the amount of profit that they can turn by parking their pages (and cause them to drop some names because they will just be an expense). Further, it will be harder for those who don't park the domains and simply just hang onto the domains for years without any sort of development plans.

Probably the worst idea I've seen proposed on a domain forum.

This is a forum of domainers, I know. But why don't you go ahead and backup your statement with some sort of intelligence?

scrsteven

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So you want to give Microsoft/Google/Yahoo/etc. more money, and individuals less money?
If domains aren't registered, big companies and isp's often show error pages with ads and make the money instead of individual domain owners.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So you want to give Microsoft/Google/Yahoo/etc. more money, and individuals less money?
If domains aren't registered, big companies and isp's often show error pages with ads and make the money instead of individual domain owners.

That is true. However, it is not about who the money goes to. It is about the quality of material published on the internet. If big companies like Microsoft/Google/Yahoo are going to use these domains and put up a quality service (Flickr, GMail, etc), then it creates a better internet.

On the other hand, tell me how parked domains are contributing in anyway. Do you see this as a valid issue? How do you propose we solve it?

krossat

Rohan
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The purpose of the raise in price is not to disallow underfunded individuals from creating websites. At $100-$200/year for a domain, it is only $8-$16/month to maintain it - easily affordable if you are running a few websites (even if they are not turning a profit).

The bottom line is, domains are simply too cheap. We can see many domainers and companies exploiting this, with what they call a "domain portfolio". By increasing the price for registration and renewal, it will reduce the amount of profit that they can turn by parking their pages (and cause them to drop some names because they will just be an expense). Further, it will be harder for those who don't park the domains and simply just hang onto the domains for years without any sort of development plans.

This is a forum of domainers, I know. But why don't you go ahead and backup your statement with some sort of intelligence?

Your sitting in a domaining forum and you talk about removing domaining altogether? Dont sit on my head and then shit on me :rolleyes:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Feel free to donate the money that seems to run through your pants to the charity of your choice. The rest of us like domains being affordable.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Your sitting in a domaining forum and you talk about removing domaining altogether? Dont sit on my head and then shit on me :rolleyes:

Feel free to donate the money that seems to run through your pants to the charity of your choice. The rest of us like domains being affordable.

I don't think you understand the debate at hand here. The issue is not removing domaining industry, but to remove parked and dead domains. If you are going to enter an industry to make a few dollars, then at least put a little back into it - put some relevant information or quality content onto your sites.

scrsteven

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That is true. However, it is not about who the money goes to. It is about the quality of material published on the internet. If big companies like Microsoft/Google/Yahoo are going to use these domains and put up a quality service (Flickr, GMail, etc), then it creates a better internet.

On the other hand, tell me how parked domains are contributing in anyway. Do you see this as a valid issue? How do you propose we solve it?

The big companies don't register the domains and put content, they just show ads on error pages. Solve it? How do you want to "solve" undeveloped beachfront land (those real estate squattors), or single level parking lots in downtown new york? There is nothing to solve.

Parked domains DEFINITELY contribute in assisting users finding what they are looking for, or advertising new services. How does a billboard contribute to you? How do TV commercials contribute to you? similar...

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I make my living thanks to the fact that domains are priced the way they are, and so do many (most?) other people here. What makes you think it would be a good idea to price us out of our business, and my kids out of their inheritence?

As far as I am concerned, the internet is a commercial tool, most websites are commercial tools also. What you seem to be suggesting is a sort of 'Robin Hood' affair...

Robin Hood - King of Thieves - but still a thief....

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Remove parked domains? I make money from parked domains. Why don't you remove your thumb from your ass instead?

What are "dead" domains? Domains that are owned by someone else which you can't have for a few bucks and now you're bitching asking for registration fees to go to $500 / year so that we drop them?

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Your squashing the whole idea of free enterprise. It's like telling McDonald's to raise their prices to prevent obesity to poor inner city folks.

Many of the most creative ideas on the web would of never been able to start due to the high price of domains. What about the 17 girl who became a millionaire. She would have never gotten started.

Paying more for a domain does not mean a better internet, if it did then I would agree.

Don't be discouraged if people don't agree with your thoughts, I like the fact that you presented a different viewpoint.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What you are doing is entering an industry, taking a shit on the lawn, and then leaving. I am not trying to tarnish your job or how you are feeding your family, but ask yourselves a few questions:

What exactly are you contributing to the web industry?

How are you, in any way, progressing the development of the internet?

When it comes to a developer trying to startup a quality website - the $100-$500/year range is near nothing compared to the absurd prices that a "domainer" will ask for if they sense any sort of interest. This is the type of setback that prevent startup companies from taking off.

Shout your opinions as you will, this is my $0.02 :eek:k:

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think everyone likes the idea of a better internet, more development and future progress. There is no one way to achieve that. Raising prices won't make things better. Could make them worse.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Someone kick this idiot out.

Trust me bud, if I did take a shit on your lawn you'd be running for your life.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What you are doing is entering an industry, taking a shit on the lawn, and then leaving. What exactly are you contributing to the web industry? How are you, in any way, progressing the development of the internet?

I'm a businessman, not a philanthropist.

What's the problem with parked pages anyway? Better looking than Google and usually have links to viable content sites. SEs results are less relevent.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Someone kick this idiot out.

Trust me bud, if I did take a shit on your lawn you'd be running for your life.

Thanks bud, you are the epitome of a true professional. Grow up.

Vorty

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is a complete nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators