Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Raise the price of domains!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The Internet is not waiting on little Napoleons to go forward.
If I could, I would hold onto and park thousands of domains.
Instead, I maintain a portfolio of under one thousand.
Who are you, to tell me what I should do with my domains?
I will park them, develop them if and when I see fit - hell, I will forward them to a picture of my dog if I want to.

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What a stupid post.... seriously... Whydna... you need to take a chill pill... If prices went to $100 I would just reduce my portfolio comparatively. Your suggestion makes no sense and kind of shows your age.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some things are the way they are. People who've regged hundreds or thousands of domains have done nothing illegal, they have bought what was available at the asking price - they saw an opportunity that most people haven't seen yet and took advantage of it. It's nice if people try to make the internet better, but there is no obligation to - and who will decide what that 'better' is anyway? Your opinion might be that someone who owns and parks 1000 domains isn't helping the internet - but in the end - is it really something you should be spending your time worrying about?

There is already plenty out there on the internet, good and bad sites, for any interest that anyone might have.

There won't be much support on this forum for $500 reg fees, or even double what reg fees are now.

If you really support this fee increase, start writing letters to ICANN, to politicians, to registrars, to governments, etc. and spend hours/days of your time. Go for it! But it's almost guaranteed to be a waste of time.

Domain names that aren't being used for websites aren't holding back the internet. Your reaction should just be 'oh well, too bad that name is taken, I'll have to find another'. Someone with a 'good' idea for a website can still come up with a name fairly easily that is available.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The Internet is not waiting on little Napoleons to go forward.
If I could, I would hold onto and park thousands of domains.
Instead, I maintain a portfolio of under one thousand.
Who are you, to tell me what I should do with my domains?
I will park them, develop them if and when I see fit - hell, I will forward them to a picture of my dog if I want to.

Acroplex, get it through your thick skull. I don't care what you do for a living. But if you fall under the category that I am describing, just acknowledge that you are a burden to the industry.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
**** you, little man.

You're in the wrong forum to bust balls at. This is where we make our bread and no ****ing little prick like your kind will openly piss on our plates without getting hit upside the head with a domain bat.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What a stupid post.... seriously... Whydna... you need to take a chill pill... If prices went to $100 I would just reduce my portfolio comparatively. Your suggestion makes no sense and kind of shows your age.

Huh? If you reduce your portfolio due to the price hike, then the problem is solved.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My point is simply that those who register massive amounts of domains simply to park and hold onto them are slowing down the development of the web.

Not true, another domain can always be registered. It might not be the first choice of a developper, but you can always reg another one. I never heard anyone complain that they couldn't build their website because they didn't have the 'right' domain - nothing is being "slowed down".

What is your proof or evidence that the development of the internet is being slowed down? Or is this just your 'gut feeling'?

Your kind of thinking usually comes from sour grapes that someone else got to it first - this is jealous/envious type of thinking and is a waste of time.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So you argue that you are not a complete barrier for the growth of the industry (since, as you argue, you only slightly slow it down), but what exactly do you do that will lead to a better internet?

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Acroplex, get it through your thick skull. I don't care what you do for a living. But if you fall under the category that I am describing, just acknowledge that you are a burden to the industry.

You just don't get it, do you...

"burden to the industry", what a load of bull!

As Hugegrowth said, if you've got an idea for a website, but the perfect, generic name has been taken (by some evil domainer), do you go and do something else instead - or just choose another name?

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know a large percentage of you are domainers here, but look at it with an open mind.

You come into the industry, make money, but absolutely no contribution is made. Do you disagree with this statement?

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
whydna, I was with you for a little but then you took a wrong turn. No one is a leech. If you go by that definition then you have to call all the Banks and Real Estate companies leeches because they are all sitting on millions of acres of undeveloped land that could be put to better use. Instead they sit on it and towns don't benefit when land sits undeveloped. Noone is leeching, the thing is it's actually better that people buy domains rather than run into a dead domain. The internet will grow naturally, price hikes won't help.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So you argue that you are not a complete barrier for the growth of the industry (since, as you argue, you only slightly slow it down), but what exactly do you do that will lead to a better internet?

Why don't you start by telling us what your great projects are doing to better the internet? Like someone else pointed out there is no obligation to better the internet. It will move on despite what you or I do.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I know a large percentage of you are domainers here, but look at it with an open mind.

You come into the industry, make money, but absolutely no contribution is made. Do you disagree with this statement?

You develop web sites?

Your customers advertise their sites.

Google gets money from your customers.

Your customers' ads appear on OUR parked sites.

So we pay YOU, so learn the facts or STFU.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
whydna, I was with you for a little but then you took a wrong turn. No one is a leech. If you go by that definition then you have to call all the Banks and Real Estate companies leeches because they are all sitting on millions of acres of undeveloped land that could be put to better use. Instead they sit on it and towns don't benefit when land sits undeveloped. Noone is leeching, the thing is it's actually better that people buy domains rather than run into a dead domain. The internet will grow naturally, price hikes won't help.

Perhaps leech is the wrong word, and I don't disagree with your analogy. However, my viewpoint stands that there is little effort to contribute to the industry made by those who park and hold onto large portfolio's of names.

Why don't you start by telling us what your great projects are doing to better the internet? Like someone else pointed out there is no obligation to better the internet. It will move on despite what you or I do.

There is absolutely no doubt that the internet is currently evolving at an amazingly fast rate. New technologies are being implemented by developers and startup companies. Corporations are putting more and more money into the industry, allowing it to grow further. This is a benefit the web.

What do you do?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
So you come in here, call us leeches and the like, accuse us of "holding back progress" and you think there will be no reaction from our part about all these foolish accusations?

By all means, head onto another forum. This one is for domainers.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Disagree

- When we sell names to companies, they benefit, their customers benefit and anyone looking for such a service benefits.

-With parking website vistors who type in the domain or whatever means they find it get a choice of advertisers who are targetted to the description of the domain name. Visitor benefits by getting a multitude of choices all in the same area they were searching for. Companies benefit by getting potential customers driven to their websites.

I'd argue that personal websites are more of a burden on the "industry" than anything. What do they offer?

Really there are much bigger problems currently that are slowing down the internet namely viruses, phishing and spyware. These things are alienating people from using the internet.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Disagree

- When we sell names to companies, they benefit, their customers benefit and anyone looking for such a service benefits.

-With parking website vistors who type in the domain or whatever means they find it get a choice of advertisers who are targetted to the description of the domain name. Visitor benefits by getting a multitude of choices all in the same area they were searching for. Companies benefit by getting potential customers driven to their websites.

I'd argue that personal websites are more of a burden on the "industry" than anything. What do they offer?

Interesting reply.

"- When we sell names to companies, they benefit, their customers benefit and anyone looking for such a service benefits. "

- You are making a reference to large corporations who have deep pockets. But how is your service providing any actual benefit over just registering a domain that would normally be available (I'm not talking about generic domains)?

- When was the last time you heard someone say that they found a parked page particularily useful?

"I'd argue that personal websites are more of a burden on the "industry" than anything. "

- How so?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom