Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Raise the price of domains!

Status
Not open for further replies.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm a businessman, not a philanthropist.

What's the problem with parked pages anyway? Better looking than Google and usually have links to viable content sites. SEs results are less relevent.

If this is your business, and you are simply here to make money, fine. Just acknowledge the fact that what you are doing is simply being a burden or leech in the development of the industry as a whole.

If you don't like this, or you disagree - tell me why. I am a bit disappointed that within this whole thread there have been but 1 or 2 intelligent comments that spark any sort of discussion. :asleep:

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the laugh guy. Some of the most innovative ideas come from young people who despite what you think, 200 bucks a year is a lot to. You would be raising the barrier of what it takes to get in. If someone is going to give up on their site idea just because their preferred domain is taken, they don't have much motivation in the first place. A good domain doesn't make a good idea.

You sound like one of those guys who thinks they shouldn't have to pay for anything online. The internet is a commercial place, even if thats not what you want it to be. The companies who give you these great services aren't doing it out the kindness of their hearts, they are here to make money like most everyone else.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Over the years the internet bodies have developped a pricing system for domain registration that keeps registrars and the bodies that look after the system in business and the internet running. Why artificially jack up the price of domains based on what people do with them? Who is to say what adds or does not add to the internet?

Someone who visits a parked page and clicks on a relevant link to a site that helps them is getting a good service, IMO.

To me this isn't a clearcut issue, but similar to other situations in the world. Do we strip all millionaires and billionaires of their money and distribute it to the poor? Is it fair that some people have so much and others so little? Who gets to decide how it works? I don't have the answers.

Right now domains are priced where the system works. If someone can't get the name they want for reg fee, they can choose another, or buy it in the aftermarket. Many good names can be had for under $1,000 anyway, then after they just have to pay <$10/yr to keep it.

$500 reg fee for domains will keep poorer people from ever having a chance to develop a website too - what about them?

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If this is your business, and you are simply here to make money, fine. Just acknowledge the fact that what you are doing is simply being a burden or leech in the development of the industry as a whole.

If you don't like this, or you disagree - tell me why. I am a bit disappointed that within this whole thread there have been but 1 or 2 intelligent comments that spark any sort of discussion. :asleep:

I've already told you why thicko - it's amazing that you seem to be taking the moral high ground here.

Twice you mention 'intelligence', but have yet to display any yourself.

Have you ever heard the saying;

"you can tell an idiot he is one, but he won't believe you!"

If you haven't - I'm not suprised...

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Raise the price of domains! Domainers who register massive amounts of domains and simply park or hold onto the domain in hopes of someone acquiring the domain are depreciating the quality of the internet. The wealth of services and information that is the internet is being bottlenecked because of this.

I say, jack the price of domains up to $100-$500/year and we will soon see some more quality material on the internet.

Why make it unaffordable for those genuinely interested in registering a domain for development? On the flipside you could keep registration prices the same but not permit domain parking :eek:

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You sound like one of those guys who thinks they shouldn't have to pay for anything online. The internet is a commercial place, even if thats not what you want it to be. The companies who give you these great services aren't doing it out the kindness of their hearts, they are here to make money like most everyone else.

Yes, I know that. What makes you think I believe otherwise? I did not mention anything being free online, in fact I suggested a higher price for domains. Moreover, as I mentioned earlier, I don't care if these companies are making billions- if they are providing a service in demand, then I support it.

$500 reg fee for domains will keep poorer people from ever having a chance to develop a website too - what about them?
Yes, this is a valid point. It's a tradeoff but if you are a developer, it's worth it, considering the absurd amounts "domainers" are trying to milk for even their mediocre domains.

I've already told you why
Where? I'm still waiting to hear the answer of how you you do anything except slow down the growth of the web.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Thanks bud, you are the epitome of a true professional. Grow up.

Listen up, MORON. We make money from parking and reselling domains. If you're a pimple faced 19 year old kid that was sucking on your momma's tits when the Internet became commercial, it's not like we have to surrender our headstart.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Listen up, MORON. We make money from parking and reselling domains. If you're a pimple faced 19 year old kid that was sucking on your momma's tits when the Internet became commercial, it's not like we have to surrender our headstart.

Hah. We've got a smart cookie here. Like I said, if this is what you do, fine. Just ackowledge the fact that you are doing absolutely nothing for the industry.

Thomas Nash

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok so you've suggested they should bump prices up to $500/year.

But let me ask you, if they really did raise .com prices to $500/year would you yourself actually be pleased? because the very fact that your on a domain forum suggests you own domain names and I can't see many, if any, domain owners being happy that there name now costs them the earth to keep, there would be virtual riots and allsorts :)

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was being half smart ass with my comments. Ask yourself this question man... if you had a portfolio of say 1,000 domains, would you be happy seeing more then a 10 fold increase in registration prices?

Thomas Nash

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hah. We've got a smart cookie here. Like I said, if this is what you do, fine. Just ackowledge the fact that you are doing absolutely nothing for the industry.

How can you say domainers are doing nothing for the domaining industry?

We are the industry!

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know that. What makes you think I believe otherwise?
You just come off as one of those "anti-advertising" types. Sounds like something one of them would say. No worries though, of course there will be people who don't like domainers. Some people don't like the net at all and think its causing a breakdown in society. Go fig, some people just can't wrap their minds around something they don't like.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ginge, it's a good point. Looking at it from the side of a developer (I own a few domains, but don't consider myself a domainer), it's worth the tradeoff. Many times I have emailed someone regarding a domain that is dead (not even parked), and they will reply with a 6-figure price on a domain worth probably a few hundred dollars. I would much rather pay the $500/year.

Yes, it is true that it may prevent those who want to start up a small site (ie, hobby, for fun, etc) to actually get a start, but there is always the option of a free subdomains.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score

I think you're on the wrong forum. Pissed Off Teen Forum is over at NamePros.

Sounds like there was too much MSG in today's noodles eh?

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You just come off as one of those "anti-advertising" types. Sounds like something one of them would say. No worries though, of course there will be people who don't like domainers. Some people don't like the net at all and think its causing a breakdown in society. Go fig, some people just can't wrap their minds around something they don't like.

Quite far from the truth. I've been around the domaining industry since 2002, and on this forum since 2004. I am not someone looking at it from the outside, but raising the issue nonetheless.

It's obvious that I have hit some sort of soft-spot for the members here, but I'm not boycotting your business. An issue has been raised for discussion, take it as you will.

Thomas Nash

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ginge, it's a good point. Looking at it from the side of a developer (I own a few domains, but don't consider myself a domainer), it's worth the tradeoff. Many times I have emailed someone regarding a domain that is dead (not even parked), and they will reply with a 6-figure price on a domain worth probably a few hundred dollars. I would much rather pay the $500/year.

Yes, it is true that it may prevent those who want to start up a small site (ie, hobby, for fun, etc) to actually get a start, but there is always the option of a free subdomains.

It just sounds to me like your annoyed that other people own domains that you want and they don't want to sell them at a price you consider 'fair'.

If someone got their first, you've got to acknowledge the fact they were there first and you can't just force them to sell you a domain cheap just because you want it. It's equally unfair to want people to pay exorbitant rates for domain names just so it's more likely that the one you want is available.

You missed the oppurtunity to register good domains when you had the chance, Get Over It.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Quite far from the truth. I've been around the domaining industry since 2002, and on this forum since 2004. I am not someone looking at it from the outside, but raising the issue nonetheless.

It's obvious that I have hit some sort of soft-spot for the members here, but I'm not boycotting your business. An issue has been raised for discussion, take it as you will.

Well you want to throw a wrench in a business that brings in tens of billions of dollars in revenue each year, of course most won't take kindly to it. I personally don't buy domains just to park but will often park domains until i have time to develop. Even still, why can't you just search for a domain that isn't registered? Like i said before, a good domain doesn't make a good idea.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Let's raise instead the Exclusive membership to $1,000
That would take care of a lot of problems.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It just sounds to me like your annoyed that other people own domains that you want and they don't want to sell them at a price you consider 'fair'.

If someone got their first, you've got to acknowledge the fact they were there first and you can't just force them to sell you a domain cheap just because you want it. It's equally unfair to want people to pay exorbitant rates for domain names just so it's more likely that the one you want is available.

You missed the oppurtunity to register good domains when you had the chance, Get Over It.

Sure, business is business. My point is not that I am angry they are overpricing the domains.

My point is simply that those who register massive amounts of domains simply to park and hold onto them are slowing down the development of the web.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Where? I'm still waiting to hear the answer of how you you do anything except slow down the growth of the web.

About half of my names are information related. I have nearly 500 information-crammed minisites. Most of these sites carry Adsense ads and average over 10% ctr. I can assume that a good percentage of visitors are happy with what they find on these sites.

The other half of my names are commercial names - names that could only apply to commercial applications. I choose to make money from parking them. Someone else would develop them to make money.

At what point am I holding back the web?

If domains were land - and that land cost $500k per acre instead of $50k per acre, are you saying that the higher price would promote growth in the building sector? And while we're at it, what do you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom