Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Raise the price of domains!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfis.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WhyDNA :

it sounds to me the you are quite angry at someone that he/she has a domain that is just parked and the person doesn't want to sell it for the registration fee.

just look at it this way:

someone owns a domain , lets say candy.com and he/she paid a large amount of money to buy this domain and he/she puts up ads from different candy stores - now you come and say : ohh , its only parked just sell this domain name to me for the registration fee .

it is quite simple how i see it :
parking domains with relevant links on it is a Service to internet users !

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
This is pointless folks. This guy is acting as if he will counter-argue all day long no matter what valid point we bring forward.

Welcome to my shitlist, dumbass.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
someone owns a domain , lets say candy.com and he/she paid a large amount of money to buy this domain and he/she puts up ads from different candy stores - now you come and say : ohh , its only parked just sell this domain name to me for the registration fee .

That is a fair arguement, and I will refrain from restating my earlier points.

This is pointless folks. This guy is acting as if he will counter-argue all day long no matter what valid point we bring forward.

Welcome to my shitlist, dumbass.

What useful comments have you even made in this thread?

acesfull

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We should also raise the minimum price of cars to $100,000. Therefore we would have better drivers.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score

My most useful argument is that you are a sad troll and that your pathetic statement is not only laughable but insulting and aggravating. You should be stripped of your Exclusive membership, which is clearly of no use to you; because you cannot be a member of a forum that "prohibits Internet progress".

Devil Dog

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Touche'

Seriously though, what useful comments have you made in this thread?

What exactly did you expect coming here posting such a thread, on a DOMAINERS forum none the less.

Did you expect everyone here to rally around you and say, "You know what, he's right, let's sign a petition and get Marchex and Nameadmin and BuyDomains, etc etc to either develop the hundreds of thousands of internet properties that they rightfully own(for the most part) or make them relinquish them!"

Yeah right...

We should also raise the minimum price of cars to $100,000. Therefore we would have better drivers.

While we're at it, let's raise the minimum price of homes in my area to 1 Trillion. That'll stop all those Southern California speculators buying up entire blocks here and renting them out to the locals.

That'll show them, how dare they be capitalistic? The nerve of them.

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My point is simply that those who register massive amounts of domains simply to park and hold onto them are slowing down the development of the web.

Those who own massive amounts of domains may force you to be a bit more creative in registering a new domain. However, imo it is still very easy to invent and register a new catchy 2 word .com domain name, thus if anything helping to develop the web. imo we are fortunate that a parked page often offers the chance to purchase the domain if you really need it.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:pop2:

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi, There is a vacant lot right next to my rowhouse that I want. I have a great idea for that vacant lot, but some old lady owns and it has been in her family forever. In fact this old lady owns vacant lots all over town...it is not fair. I asked this old lady if she would sell the vacant lot (next to my rowhouse) to me and SHE WANTS WAY MORE THAN SHE INITIALLY PAID FOR IT!!!!! can you believe it.

I propose we raise the taxes so she cannot afford to keep all of her lots...This way I may be able to get the lot and not pay her asking price.

garyrcanuck

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see this Idiot claims he is a web developer? Maybe he is just marketing here. I am sure he will get many clients from this forum:lol:

Busynic

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Price or value?

The two are not mutually dependent upon one another in a consistent manner.

Whydna is arguing that price and value are proportional to each other, or in other words as the price of registration goes up, so does the overall perceived value back to the internet community(?).

This is a fundamentally flawed argument from a statistics point of view (in addition to any other softer and/or emotional issues).

The price of a domain registration is in fact disproportional to the overall value of internet contributions, or in other words as the price of registration goes up, the overall user experience for the internet goes down.

Why? Simple: of all the people who can afford to register domains at a higher price, it is the people deriving incomes from some sort of activity that supports the registration fees, who can continue to operate.

So all of a sudden every blog and family site that does not have advertising or products to sell, decides not to bother, therefore reducing the overall quality as the price of domain name registration increases. The higher the price, the more people (who are unadvertised contributors to the online world) would disappear.

The barriers to entry hit hardest for the people with low income. Whydna is implying therefore, that low income earners should not be able to have a voice on the internet (unless they team up with a big conglomerate and trade individuality for ads and affiliate links).

It is the domaining industry at large that is helping keep the price of domains at a reasonable level, and therefore affording a wider audience of participation and a lower cost to all domain name owners (business, family, social whatever).

Without parked pages and registrations, domain names would indeed be a higher price; but there would be far less contributions from early developers, social sites, family sites as a result of the higher price (this is indisputable – ask your family members if they would keep their site for 50-500 bucks a year – even if I can afford it, I would get plenty of pressure to disband any sites built simply for information or aesthetics, yet be encouraged to keep those that derive income).

In Summary:
1. More names, more jobs, more money, better economy, higher standard of living, more people who can have their “own” piece of the internet
2. Names that earn income keep the cost affordable for the sites that make no money, but are happy to pay 10 bucks a year to write their story.
3. More affordable names means more ideas and information available, less error pages
4. More affordable names means more business online
5. There is no shortage of great names at great prices (including at registration fee)
6. More business online, means more distributed wealth and more contribution to the local communities
7. Parked pages = income to someone = someone using them for a beneficial purpose, otherwise why would they exist? They are simply development projects in waiting.

“two people gaze out of a window, one sees stars and the other sees bars”

We may win arguments everyday, but it is unlikely we will ever change people’s opinions in a profound way.

The active business of domaining sparks interest and attention in the commercialization of internet activities. Ignoring the moral and ethical judgements that are within each person’s control, activity and excitement breeds more activity and excitement (from all forms of contribution).

People like and indeed crave feeling engaged and enthusiastic about the opportunities they undertake each day (apart from the few who suffer from irreversible negativity and pessimism).

Each and every person is entitled to their view – you included.

As an experiment of social interactivity (or self promotion) I am sure you are feeling quite pleased with yourself in a Machiavellian way. It’s sort of like poking a bee hive with a short stick to see what really happens.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think they should raise the price of oil to $500 a barrel to get all of these dumb ass drivers off the streets.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting reply.

"- When we sell names to companies, they benefit, their customers benefit and anyone looking for such a service benefits. "

- You are making a reference to large corporations who have deep pockets. But how is your service providing any actual benefit over just registering a domain that would normally be available (I'm not talking about generic domains)?
Just like real estate small businesses can't afford the best locations downtown so they set up shop elsewhere. No difference really.
-With parking website vistors who type in the domain or whatever means they find it get a choice of advertisers who are targetted to the description of the domain name. Visitor benefits by getting a multitude of choices all in the same area they were searching for. Companies benefit by getting potential customers driven to their websites.

- When was the last time you heard someone say that they found a parked page particularily useful?
Obviously someone must be finding them useful or else the method of parking wouldn't be profitable. I'm sure each click on a parked site is not the very first time that person has encountered such a site.
"I'd argue that personal websites are more of a burden on the "industry" than anything. "

- How so?
They offer nothing to anyone but the author of the site. Pretty simple. I like how you decided not to respond to the real problems the internet has.

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No registrar would raise it to that amount

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
depreciating the quality of the internet.

is being bottlenecked because of this.

see some more quality material on the internet.

Jeez, man. You've been a member since 2004. Did you just wake up and check the calendar?

Is this is your solution to what is/is not on the internet???

depreciating the quality of the internet
It is what you take from in or put into it. Art/beauty is in the eye of the beholder

is being bottlenecked because of this.
Move up to broadband. Get off dial-up

see some more quality material on the internet.
Shit in, shit out. If you look for shit, you will find it.

You may want to monitor your own surfing habits.

I think they should raise the price of oil to $500 a barrel to get all of these dumb ass drivers off the streets.
Then it would be dumbass bicyclists still running into each other while on the cell...

No one wins. Bike insurance skyrockets, price of air to pump tires hits $10.00 per psi, and death and dismemberment by two wheel vehicle insurance makes owning a bike so cost prohibitive that no one can afford it.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you had a long lost relative pass away and leave you his portfolio of 100,000 domains that made 10 million per year in PPC, what would you do with them? You'd probably sell some, develop some, and leave some on ppc sites. The last thing you would do is transfer them for reg fee to people who would develop great websites because in your words it would 'be better for the development of the internet'.

And I don't think you'd want reg fees to go to $500 or whatever higher price either.

It's easy to propose these kinds of changes when it doesn't hit you in the wallet personally.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I say, jack the price of domains up to $100 -$500/year and we will soon see some more quality material on the internet.

Yeah and jack up the price of posting on dnforum to $100 a post and we will soon see better quality material than this on the forum :)

People can publish quality material using any domain that they want, good or bad. Domains don't effect the quality of material on the internet, people do.

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can understand WhyDNA:

- The generic domain you want is never available... It's frustrating.

- Most of the generics are parked and not developped... It's frustrating.

- There are still some good names to buy, ... but they are so expensive. It's frustrating.

Domaining is frustrating when you come too late, when you have no money, when you have no ideas, ...

Fortunately if what you want is simply create and develop web sites then you don't need any expensive generic domain name!

Just be creative, invent names.

Your domain value will be in the content, no in the name.

And who know, if you have been very creative (as you would like everyone be) then this strange name you used for your site may become very popular. And this name that was so insignificant may finish with a tremendous value (see ebay, google...)

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Whydna needs to take a lesson from web 2.0. None of those names would of been worth much on their own but they built something that millions use out of them.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Where is the outrage from this guy with big players like Vaxis, Nameadmin or BuyDomains?......I cant understand why anyone would choose a domain forum to post crap like this, where the majority are small players trying to get ahead.....

I spent nearly a week bitching about a $1 increase to my enom account, and he's suggesting to raise it to $100?, I say **** you my friend...... If we dont grab them, the big guys will....Not to mention, raising the price to this level would be a disaster for this industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators