Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

THE GREAT DEPRESSION 2 and its effect on the domain name market

Status
Not open for further replies.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Consider the Icelandic crash a rehearsal. It's not the end of the Internet but the beginning of increased instability.

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do you really think that if it comes down to a guns and seeds situation that domains will still be a valuable commodity? How do see online commerce taking place at that point, a bag of carrot seeds and a silver coin in trade for some web design work?

99.99%%%% of domain names are junk and will always be junk

As for the high quality generic blue chip domain names, I think they will be extremely valuable

Even in a "Mad Max" scenario I think the Internet will remain.

It is just a matter of whether you are broadcasting on the high end of the spectrum or the low end of the spectrum

If you are NBC , you will survive just fine. If you are a low/small time broadcaster, chances are you are going to be insolvent

Similarly, if you monetize a GREAT generic domain name - you will be fine and probably even thrive

If you own low quality gobble-dee-kook domains with lots of dashes and .info,.net,.tv extensions OR worse buy one of these gtlds, you will be broker faster then I can say "Francis Bacon"

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

How do see online commerce taking place at that point, a bag of carrot seeds and a silver coin in trade for some web design work?

Yes !!! but probably no silver. As you will be able to employ web design work for carrot seeds alone. ;)

Just kidding - but I hope you see my point. People will work for very little. Look at some of these web designers in India right now. Or the manufacturing situation in China. Americans have completely forgotten what a free market looks like. All we know is crony capitalism. Very sad.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to read the Twitter updates during this economic apocalypse that you guys are predicting.

"A flash mob just stormed through my backyard and ate my dog. Not worried."

"Thank God Google hasn't skipped a beat, just found a sweet recipe for marinated tree bark."

"Just tossed another car tire into the fireplace. My eyes burn but staying warm. About to update my blog."

"Does PayPal still accept copper phone wire? Just about out of funds."

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to read the Twitter updates during this economic apocalypse that you guys are predicting.

"A flash mob just stormed through my backyard and ate my dog. Not worried."

"Thank God Google hasn't skipped a beat, just found a sweet recipe for marinated tree bark."

"Just tossed another car tire into the fireplace. My eyes burn but staying warm. About to update my blog."

"Does PayPal still accept copper phone wire? Just about out of funds."

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

[video=youtube;uy7q1VHw27s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy7q1VHw27s&feature=share[/video]

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality

Ignore what reality? Aren't you the same guy that was talking about stockpiling rare comic books during an apocalyptic financial meltdown?

I think that most people who sit around and constantly obsess over and talk about the end of the world are people who hope that it actually happens. Maybe they hate their job, or feel locked out of opportunities, and some how believe they could finally thrive if the whole system were flipped on it's head. It's like people who are obsessed with the rapture, people who in actuality are quite likely locked in an ego vs mortality struggle.

It's the same deal with people constantly predicting the end of the United States, something that's been happening continuously since 1776. They hate the culture, the foreign policy, and want it to crash and burn. They're not going to come out and say that straight of course, they'll just dance around the issue every time it's raised.

I'm a huge fan of the expression money talks and bullshit walks. Someone who actually believes the end of the world economy is near isn't sitting on a domain trading forum talking about it. They're building a bomb shelter in their backyard and stocking up on canned goods. If the end is near then the 28 domain traders who read this thread probably wont be bumping into you in some Mad Max kind of world, so why even sweat it?

Last edited:

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ignore what reality? Aren't you the same guy that was talking about stockpiling rare comic books during an apocalyptic financial meltdown?

I think that most people who sit around and constantly obsess over and talk about the end of the world are people who hope that it actuality happens. Maybe they hate their job, or feel locked out of opportunities, and some how believe they could finally thrive if the whole system were flipped on it's head. It's like people who are obsessed with the rapture, people who in actuality are quite likely locked in an ego vs mortality struggle.

It's the same deal with people constantly predicting the end of the United States, something that's been happening continuously since 1776. They hate the culture, the foreign policy, and want it to crash and burn. They're not going to come out and say that straight of course, they'll just dance around the issue every time it's raised.

I'm a huge fan of the expression money talks and bullshit walks. Someone who actually believes the end of the world economy is near isn't sitting on a domain trading forum talking about it. They're building a bomb shelter in their backyard and stocking up on canned goods. If the end is near then the 28 domain traders who read this thread probably wont be bumping into you in some Mad Max kind of world, so why even sweat it?

"The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking...There is something wonderful in seeing a wrong-headed majority assailed by truth.” John Kenneth Galbraith

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking...There is something wonderful in seeing a wrong-headed majority assailed by truth.” John Kenneth Galbraith

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result." Albert Einstein

Every few months you pop up and predict an imminent apocalypse. A few months go by and you and your charts are proven wrong. A few months later you pop back up and predict an imminent apocalypse only with a slightly different spin. The pattern of course repeats itself. Have fun with that...

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result." Albert Einstein

Every few months you pop up and predict an imminent apocalypse. A few months go by and you and your charts are proven wrong. A few months later you pop back up and predict an imminent apocalypse only with a slightly different spin. The pattern of course repeats itself. Have fun with that...
Yep. I'd be willing to bet 30 years from now the guy will still be doing the same thing.

tristanperry

Domainer & Web/Software Dev
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
He who trains his tongue to quote the learned sages, will be known far and wide as a smart ass.
-- Howard Kandel

(Sorry, couldn't resist ;) Am only joking)

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Aaccording to my score card, I am winning on my prediction from when I started this thread.

Some of you are just going to have to learn the hard way. :disappointed:

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Aaccording to my score card, I am winning on my prediction from when I started this thread.

Can I ask you a serious question? How old are you? What predictions have you been right about? Gold going up? Thats not much of a prediction.

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;kXndAyTr5kc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXndAyTr5kc&feature=player_embedded#at=12[/video]

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Charlie, is that you? :D

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Raider maybe you should take a moment to read the words of your beloved Republican party today who voted overwhelmingly to support the largest Pentagon budget to date - $690 Billion. Funny how you so blindly pin all blame on the Democrats when your own party is as much OR MORE to blame for the financial situation America is currently in. Funny how MORE Democrats voted 'nay' than those fiscally responsible Republicans today...

Why is America in so much trouble - because of the blind support of the Raider-types.

You mean the DEFENSE spending bill that pays for our Military and Soldiers who are fighting 3 wars? The budget that STILL needs to be reconciled in the Senate by your beloved DEMOCRATS.

How many BILLIONS LESS do you think the Defense budget would be IF only your Boy Obama kept his campaign promise to bring combat troops home by May 20, 2010?
hmm?

The Defense Budget your so outraged about is $9 Billion dollars LESS than what Obama wanted, And your blaming the Republicans for it being to high? What a complete ignoramus you are.

Funny watching you throw a tissy fit over a $690 Billion Defense Bill that supports our troops but you wouldn't utter a word in the last 2 1/2 years over the $787 BILLION dollars your boy wasted away on everything BUT the private sector, where it should of gone in helping improve our economy. And did you hear? The Stimulus money is running out and many States are broke again, they want another handout which is more borrowed money that our children and Grandchildren will have to pay for.

And talk about blind support, you and all the other anti-war dunces on this forum supported Obama for his strong stance on bringing troops home from Iraq, but he instead sends 30,000 more troops and still you dunces support him, Were not only still in Iraq, were fighting a NEW WAR in Libya thanks to your boy, but you say nothing about that, And now your whining like a b*tch because were spending money to support those wars? GTF out of here you hypocrite!

Last edited:

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You mean the DEFENSE spending bill that pays for our Military and Soldiers who are fighting 3 wars? The budget that STILL needs to be reconciled in the Senate by your beloved DEMOCRATS.

How many BILLIONS LESS do you think the Defense budget would be IF only your Boy Obama kept his campaign promise to bring combat troops home by May 20, 2010?
hmm?

The Defense Budget your so outraged about is $9 Billion dollars LESS than what Obama wanted, And your blaming the Republicans for it being to high? What a complete ignoramus you are.

Funny watching you throw a tissy fit over a $690 Billion Defense Bill that supports our troops but you wouldn't utter a word in the last 2 1/2 years over the $787 BILLION dollars your boy wasted away on everything BUT the private sector, where it should of gone in helping improve our economy. And did you hear? The Stimulus money is running out and many States are broke again, they want another handout which is more borrowed money that our children and Grandchildren will have to pay for.

And talk about blind support, you and all the other anti-war dunces on this forum supported Obama for his strong stance on bringing troops home from Iraq, but he instead sends 30,000 more troops and still you dunces support him, Were not only still in Iraq, were fighting a NEW WAR in Libya thanks to your boy, but you say nothing about that, And now your whining like a b*tch because were spending money to support those wars? GTF out of here you hypocrite!
Is the banking industry not the private sector? Obama has proven it doesn't really matter who is on office, things will always be status quo. They're all just puppets on strings. How many years have americans been indebted for these wars now? 10-15...20? It makes the "stimulus" look like nothing in comparison when its all added up.

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is the banking industry not the private sector? Obama has proven it doesn't really matter who is on office, things will always be status quo. They're all just puppets on strings. How many years have americans been indebted for these wars now? 10-15...20? It makes the "stimulus" look like nothing in comparison when its all added up.

yup

Aristo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am going over my portfolio agressively. If I have it developed and I'm going to keep up with it, I'm keeping it.

If it is parked and making >reg fee, I'm keeping it.

If not, I'll try to sell it and if not that, I'll drop it.

Wise words...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom