Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Today's TBR

Status
Not open for further replies.

flong101

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Richard,

So now we have the 100% confirmation from you that it was indeed Pool that had problems that prompted the TBR cancellation 8 hours later by CIRA.

Thanks for confirming that Richard.

As to how I reached the conclusion about pool registrars are involved is very simple. I have backorders with the bulk majority of TBR providers and contacted them all (with the exception of pool). All confirmed that TBR went fine.

That with the healthy results that sibername showed made it very clear that it was pool. No other single entity can impact the results so dramatically mostly because of the huge number of registrars they have. How many do you have 20? 30? more? I can promise you that if Namespro had a problem no lone would notice and as Namespro is not Pool, CIRA would not have given a damn.

So when CIRA decides to screw every registrar out there so that your pockets richard get stuffed, then really what else do you suggest all the idiots of us here should believe?

That every TBR player but Pool found the written technical instructions fine but for your programmer they were ambiguous? If your team is incompetent, then you take the responsibility for what happened.

So I guess the question that remains.. Did you moonlight at CIRA headquarters yesterday or did any of your drones do the dirty work for you?

And with you being so almighty and all maybe you can advise us of the process of getting industrycanada involved? The .ca domain is a national asset and to see it mismanaged so flagrantly to fill Pool pockets is something that must be addressed ASAP.

flong101 you should read what you write before you push post.

First:... "Richard the head of Momentous was a founder of CIRA" Totally incorrect. I am not the head of Momentous and I had no role in the founding of CIRA and further have no current role at CIRA of any kind.

Second:... "The one company missing from the header here is CIRA, Owned by, controlled by, manipulated by, and protected by momentous." Again, totally incorrect. Momentous.ca has absolutely no control over CIRA implied or otherwise. There is also no corporate connection between Momentous and CIRA of any kind other than Momentous Registrars are accreditted to register CA domains. You might also remind your fellow registrants that the CIRA Board of Directors is ELECTED by CIRA "members" not by the registrar community. Did you vote?

Third:... "Who cares that we keep wasting time week after week in this TBR while prices continue to go up?" Whose prices are you referring to? CIRA has not changed any of its prices. Pool.com has not changed any of its prices. Pool.com does not even start aucitons until we get official results from CIRA. If you have a problem with other auction houses starting auctions before official results are known, I believe in some cases even before the TBR starts, perhaps you should be directing your concern at them?

Fourth:... "The multiple registrars referred to in CIRA system are the multiple registrars owned by POOL and no one else." That is totally contrary to the information we had been provided by CIRA. I would assume therefore that you have other information from CIRA or are you just making this stuff up to be combative?

Pool.com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Spex, there were a number of changes to the EPP side which effected the TBR as a result of migration that are well documented, some include:

- registrars needed to have a single RANT contactid created exclusivley as the default rant for TBR
- as a result, the TBR command stream no longer required a contact id for the RANT
- TBR registrations can only be held in this RANT for 14 days after which they are returned to the TBR

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would be interested to know which registrars had problems with this TBR. So far it seems like CIRA did everything right on their part, but some registrars made mistakes.

Are the registrars who made the mistakes all controlled by one company, or are they independant?

How come so many registrars were able to do things correctly?

Canspace, a registrar, stated "I fail to see how a registrar could have messed this up"

I'd love to hear what Sibername and MyID have to say about this.

Was CIRA's decision really the 'fair' thing to do?

Does one or more registrars have a disproportionate amount of influence at CIRA?

I doubt we'll ever really know the answers to this. It doesn't sound like most of the .ca holders here would be complaining if yesterday's TBR had just gone through. Those of us participating in each of these failed TBR's has spent time and watched bids climb from week to week, so who is really being treated unfairly here?

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Spex, there were a number of changes to the EPP side which effected the TBR as a result of migration that are well documented, some include:

- registrars needed to have a single RANT contactid created exclusivley as the default rant for TBR
- as a result, the TBR command stream no longer required a contact id for the RANT
- TBR registrations can only be held in this RANT for 14 days after which they are returned to the TBR

So CIRA is wrong when they say nothing changed?

I'm not accusing anyone of anything, I'm just trying to figure out who's explanation is correct...CIRA's (nothing changed) or the Registar's (stuff changed)

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It seems like a lot of registrars were able to get it right though.

Do you know if there were any registrars not controlled by Pool that had the same problems?

Pool.com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
flong101,

You said: "So now we have the 100% confirmation from you that it was indeed Pool that had problems that prompted the TBR cancellation 8 hours later by CIRA." I did NOT provide that confirmation. In fact I stated that we had technical issues withthe TBR and were not successful. I did not need to "confirm" that fact, it is a matter of the public record. It is you that is conjecturing that our issues formed the basis for CIRAs decision. Pure conjecture on your part and totally false. "Every" TBR player DID NOT find the technical written instructions fine.

You asked: "So I guess the question that remains.. Did you moonlight at CIRA headquarters yesterday or did any of your drones do the dirty work for you? No, I did not moonlight at CIRA headquarters nor did any of my staff. And your accusation is offensive to both Pool.com and CIRA and as I mentioned in my previous reply, I hope you are prepared to defend your accusations with facts, not idle conjecture.

Who are you? And who is your lawyer? Contact me directly by email ([email protected]) or by phone (613-221-1207) and we can set up an appropriate face-to-face meeting with proper representation so I at least can be assured that you are prepared to meet the consquences of your false claims. Once and for all, identify yourself and lets meet! I am not afraid of the facts in this situation and am prepared to do whatever it takes to defend the honour of both Pool.com and CIRA against your jibberish. I will also make arrangements to have a representative from Industry Canada at the table and if you so choose Justice Canada as well.

pandersen

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would be interested to know which registrars had problems with this TBR. So far it seems like CIRA did everything right on their part, but some registrars made mistakes.

Are the registrars who made the mistakes all controlled by one company, or are they independant?

egateDOMAINS was able to process requests without issue during this run from all of our group to our knowledge. We have not yet gone back to do our post-analysis so there could be small issues here and there but we did not encounter any connection issues.

That of course does not mean others did not.

Even though the portion of TBR where a registrar requests domains after 2PM did not change I am sure many registrars have and are still getting used to the other new portions of TBR in the new EPP regime which would likely affect a registrars interface.

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
... it is a matter of the public record.

Pool has always done well for me. I didn't mind CIRA but they have made me do a lot of extra work lately which really isn't right. This whole exercise has been more than frustrating to say the least.

Since it's public record, then someone should just name another Registrar that failed and for me the Pool accusations are moot. :hug:

As soon as I posted this I realized that even if Pool was the only one, if I were them I would have fought hard to have the TBR redone also. Ultimately the responsibility lies solely with CIRA to decide whether it was proper or not.

Last edited:

CanSpace

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

In reality these changes amounted to nothing. Yes you needed to specify a default RANT contactid for TBR domains. But that was communicated months ago and clearly visible on the home page of the DotCaManager.

The TBR command stream no longer "required" a contact id, but if you sent one anyway it would still accept it. As specified clearly in the documentation, they suggest you send a value of "0".

The third point has no relevance to this particular cancellation as no one had the oppurtunity to hold one for 14 days.

Long story short, there was virtually NO effort required on our (registrars) side to participate in the TBR session. The old scripts should have worked exactly as is. Everything was clearly documented and I saw no ambiguity whatsoever. If this cancellation is a result of incompetence on the REGISTRAR'S side, then this cancellation should not have happened, period.

I'm curious what specific issue you had during this TBR session?

flong101

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I guess we should all follow the money trail ad we'll get to the truth.

Who is the ONLY party that has benefited from the TBR cancellation yesterday?

It's definitely not CIRA as CIRA will get paid the same by the registrars irrespective of who registers what.

It's not the registrants as all will either pay the same or more for their domains. And all have lost collectively thousands of productive hours.

It's not the registrars that operated fine yesterday as now once many of their acquired domains will go to Pool and so their income will drop while the amount of work they have will continue to increase.

The only benefitor is Pool. Clear and Simple.

Here are the registrars that have had no problems based on either my contacting them or others stating such.

Sibername
Baremetal
Egate
Canspace
Myid
Burmac
fastweb

Here's the entity that we are 100% sure had problems:

Pool.com

At this time, the ONLY TBR entity that had problems with TBR yesterday is Pool.com. Amazingly enough, they are the ONLY party that is benefiting from this cancellation. All major TBR players have already been mentioned above.

How do we get IndustryCanada Involved?

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MyID.ca has sent out an email update on the TBR, here is what they have to say (see below dashed line).

I'd also like to know if anyone else but Pool had problems. We've heard from other registrars now and they seem to be saying there should have been no problems.

-----------

Last edited:

Pool.com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
flong101: You said "At this time, the ONLY TBR entity that had problems with TBR yesterday is Pool.com. Amazingly enough, they are the ONLY party that is benefiting from this cancellation." That is not my understanding based on communication I have had with CIRA. The registrars that Pool.com uses are not the ONLY party's that had a problem catching names in the TBR yesterday. As a result, Pool.com is NOT the only party that is benefiting from this cancellation. And further, as stated before, I have no confirmation that the decision made by CIRA was influenced (exclusively or otherwise) by whether Pool.com had issues or not. And if our issues were determined to be our technical failure, then we would live with that decision as we have done in the past.

flong101

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think CIRA should reverse its decision and let the results stand. I urge all to contact CIRA board of directors as specified here by SPEX:

http://www.dnforum.com/f510/nov-24-tbr-2-thread-439447.html#post1954311

I will contact the board as well. Thanks Spex.

Richard,

Now that everyone is aware that all TBR players except Pool did not have a problem, I suggest you do the right thing and contact CIRA and request that they let yesterday's results stand.

You will win far more by doing the right thing than whatever $$$ you get by getting a free pass after yesterday's screwup.

JohnWinner

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That with the healthy results that sibername showed made it very clear that it was pool. No other single entity can impact the results so dramatically mostly because of the huge number of registrars they have. How many do you have 20? 30? more?

According to the next site Pool has control or own around 80 registrars!
Source is here

ianccc

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cvo.ca - Pool
domaincentre.ca - Pool
gotnames.ca - Pool
worldnames.ca - Pool
domainscape.ca - Pool
extremedomains.ca - Pool
domains2be.ca - Pool
primedomain.ca - Pool
domainscostless.ca - Pool
domainplaza.ca - Pool
thegreatdomain.ca - Pool
domainmarketplace.ca - Pool
domainbuzz.ca - Pool
hostmaster.ca - Pool
namegame.ca - Pool
nic-name.ca - Pool
quark.ca - Pool
regnow.ca - Pool
zippydomains.ca - Pool
domainnetwork.ca - Pool
domainevent.ca - Pool
luckydomains.ca - Pool
domainsforme.ca - Pool
secureadomain.ca - Pool
domains2go.ca - Pool
gonames.ca - Pool
domainos.ca - Pool
domaineered.ca - Pool
abdomainations.ca - Pool
availabledomains.ca - Pool
coolhosting.ca - Pool
domainauthority.ca - Pool
kookycondundrum.ca - Pool
domains4u.ca - Pool
domainluminary.ca - Pool
populardomains.ca - Pool
domainstream.ca - Pool
premiername.ca - Pool
notablenames.ca - Pool
securadomain.ca - Pool
megabyte.ca - Pool
domainiac.ca - Pool
domainmall.ca - Pool
getdomainsiwant.ca - Pool
nametorrent.ca - Pool
domainlink.ca - Pool
domainparadise.ca - Pool
scoopdomain.ca - Pool
domaingrabber.ca - Pool
netheadz.ca - Pool
domainmania.ca - Pool
domainideas.ca - Pool
domainsout.ca - Pool
domainstreet.ca - Pool
thedomainnamestore.ca - Pool
whatsyourname.ca - Pool
backup.ca - Pool
registermydomains.ca - Pool
searchname.ca - Pool
submit.ca - Pool
domainutopia.ca - Pool
ezhosting.ca - Pool
primeregistrar.ca - Pool
domaincentral.ca - Pool
fabdomains.ca - Pool
maindomain.ca - Pool
matchnames.ca - Pool
mynameonline.ca - Pool
randomain.ca - Pool
registerone.ca - Pool
domainsfirst.ca - Pool
wisdomain.ca - Pool
domainreign.ca - Pool
pricedomain.ca - Pool
romel.ca - Pool
grabton.ca - Pool
domainfighter.ca - Pool
domainventures.ca - Pool
zidodomain.ca - Pool
domainsatcost.ca - Pool
weregisterit.ca - Pool
domainheadz.ca - Pool
theblackcow.ca - Pool
namescout.com - Pool
namesystem.com - Pool
signaturedomains.com - Pool
psi-japan.com - Pool
domainsonly.com - Pool
domainthenet.com - Pool
rebel.com - Pool
namesbeyond.com - Pool
srspartner.com - Pool
registersite.com - Pool
domainregistry.com - Pool
nameking.com - Pool
signdomains.com - Pool
domainstobeseen.com - Pool
ar.com - Pool
z-core.com - Pool
domainca.com - Pool
esoftwiz.com - Pool
totalregistrations.com - Pool
biditwinit.com - Pool
usawebhost.com - Pool
esite.com - Pool
nameview.com - Pool
domainpro.com - Pool
domainpeople.com - Pool
name.com - Pool
mynamenow.com - Pool
transecute.com - Pool
aaaq.com - Pool
domainz.com - Pool
leadnetworks.com - Pool
registernames.com - Pool
rgnames.com - Pool
aceofdomains.com - Pool
dotforce.com - Pool
comitnet.com - Pool
1-877namebid.com - Pool
whoistoolbar.com - Pool
webmasters.com - Pool
nettuner.com - Pool
experthost.com - Pool
expertsrs.com - Pool
hjlinnen.com - Pool
hipsearch.com - Pool
crazy8domains.com - Pool
domainestic.com - Pool
redomainder.com - Pool
getyourdotinfo.com - Pool
enterthedomain.com - Pool
yourdomainco.com - Pool
condomainium.com - Pool
getyourdotnet.com - Pool
ausregistry.net - Pool
parava.net - Pool
domainbank.net - Pool
awregistry.net - Pool
dodora.net - Pool
usefuldomains.net - Pool
bemydomain.net - Pool
adoptadomain.net - Pool
encirca.biz - Pool
psi.jp - Pool
psi-usa.info - Pool
inic.ch - Pool
enetica.com.au - Pool
fiducia.lv - Pool

Last edited:

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If CIRA is favoring Pool (and I have to say from what I have read so far that it looks like that may be the case),then shame on them and shame on Pool....this is a slap in the face with a fistfull of dollars to all of the other registrars that got it together and served the registrants that used them...I am finding this very infuriating that there has been no disclosure by CIRA who the registrars were.

A level playing field is hard enough in a regular week against Pool...what chance if they have their head on the same pillow as CIRA..
Wow....

bigbody300

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i used NAMESPRO and i dont see what people are bidding on the domains?? ARE U GUYS USING A REGISTRAR THAT SHOWS THIS???

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I can tell you from experience... The first week in january of 2009 when pool had trouble... was the best week for me in TBR ;)

Let's do the math though... 32000 names.. how many actually drop and are available to register? Let's say 15,000 even though this may be a big number. I am not really sure.

That leaves 17,000 names being distributed... again let's use a low figure and say pool gets 20% of the names... that's 3400 names... that may be big or small i don't know ?

3400 x $60 min = $204,000

Seems like a lot of money for someone to lose in a week... but again... TBR hasn't happened for a month or so now... so it means a lot more to lose because it will be the biggest drop in history.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
this would also affect those (endusers) who only used pool.ca and the other unsuccesfuls to catch drops - what if the scenaineo was reversed and pool was the only sucessful one - would it be fair to let the other catchers suffer and their clients. I think CIRA is just trying to make sure it is a level playing field for everyone (especially the end users)

Im frustrated too but im not taking sides. I just wanted to point this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators