Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

What the hell I am fully fed up!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't want to be involved in a dispute between you and Hope but the ironic thing about what you said is I thought Hope's post was so good I earlier asked Hope for permission to republish what she said here http://www.dnforum.com/f578/how-find-end-users-your-domains-thread-381264.html on my blog (something I rarely have ever done before) which I think is one of the top posts of all time on DNF as far as valuable and helpful advice goes.

I appreciate your support, you are a member of dnf since 2002 that says a lot about you. Your positive feedback is priceless, thank You

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

I use my knowledge to encourage others and some get offended.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't want to be involved in a dispute between you and Hope but the ironic thing about what you said is I thought Hope's post was so good I earlier asked Hope for permission to republish what she said here http://www.dnforum.com/f578/how-find-end-users-your-domains-thread-381264.html on my blog (something I rarely have ever done before) which I think is one of the top posts of all time on DNF as far as valuable and helpful advice goes.

I agree - the info in that post is tried and tested - anyone following it ought to be able to do well - only thing I'd add, is that using search results can help in your initial contact with the prospective buyers.

If you can show that your domain keywords get xxxx monthly local searches while their domain only gets xx local searches* it helps - people can relate to that.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Following the crowd will not get you anything but a view of their backside."
Just curious: From who is this?
Source unknown. But it perfectly applies to the domain industry: there are too many domainers that just follow the crowd (sheep).
You seldom achieve success like that.

If you want to be a sucker, then be sure to be on top of the latest domainer crazes like the latest TLD release (.mobi .asia .fail etc), 3D domains etc.
I'm not saying that people registering 3D domains are dumb (predictive domaining is an interesting area actually), but many are just doing like their peers are doing, and have not done any research.
Don't get me wrong, we can all learn from each other but you need to apply the acquired information to a strategy of your own, no just mimic the actions of other people.
We can all find a niche where we are comfortable.

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

wasnt commenting on that specific post.. just the whiny attitude in general and constantly telling people to "get a life"

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We have all wasted a bunch of money registering crappy domains especially when we start out. You have to vet each and every name to the extent that you can before you buy whether is $8 or $8,000. Just because a name is selling at aution or cost $8,000 does not mean that it is good.

Some questions that I ask are these:

Does anyone actually search for the term (I use https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal)

Was the actual name that you are interested in used as a useful site in the past - That may yield some traffic even if the term isn't searched for a lot (http://www.archive.org)

Does anyone own the name in other extensions (http://www.Dynadot.com (great who-is - just look up any name as if you want to buy it) plus http://www.domaintools.com/bulk-check/)

Do different people own those extensions rather than one person that fell in love with a useless term

Do people other than domainers own the various used names

Does an Google exact search for "www.TestedTerm" yield much usage of the term as a domain? One of them might want to buy the .COM you just found!

Does an exact Google search for "TestedTerm" or "Tested Term" yield much usage?

While you will learn that 'Appraisals' are of very limited value since domains are, good or bad, truly unique (and 'rare' - I LOVE that one!), http://www.estibot.com/ is of some relative value. Do NOT take this as being the value of your name!! It is a somewhat useful test tool AFTER you have done at least some of the research above.

There are many other questions to look at too and we all have different strategies but if the 'cool' name that you just found is owned in only the .COM and shows no exact Google searches and, perhaps worse, doesn't seem to be used in speech even, you might just want to forget that 'cool' name unless you are going to brand it and build a site and then I'd pick a better name anyway! You probably don't want the .COM and you shouldn't register anything else in this case!

You should primarily buy .COM names. .NET and .ORG have their place and if its a true heavily search for keyword or phrase other extensions have some value. A .NET is worth about 5-10% or the .COM. Non-commercial appropriate .ORGs might be worth as much a 20% of the .COM. With the exception of the .CO.UK and .DE country codes and, for the moment, .ME (a possible darling of the moment), its downhill from there. To me if its not a .COM name, the term should be owned and used in many extensions for there to be much demand for it. .COM is king. No ones dream name ends in anything else (except for a few non-comm related .ORGs) but something like, say, 'Radio.BIZ' is still worth 4 figures. Be very careful when registering 'e' and 'i' terms and almost never register things like '1GreatTerm' or 'GreatTerm1', etc. Nobody is looking for those! OK, there are some exceptions such as 'Radio1' but they are rare. Hyphens are to be avoided but if it is a very good .COM name such as, say, 'Auto-Insurance.COM', its still a valuable name. Don't EVER decide that a double hyphen name such as 'Chicago--Illinois' has any value. It doesn't!

As someone else suggested, look for topics that you know something about. I registered a 3 word radio hobby name that I knew had been used for a very real site for $9.00 in December. It makes $15 per month parked so far and is increasing in traffic. I plan to use it to drive traffic to a name that I spent $1,156 on that makes $3/month despite being a very good term. Hopefully a site will change that. Frankly, I plan to partially recreate the trafficed site on the better term with traffic provided in part by my $9.00 name.

There are a lot of names out there. You will probably pay too much even if you can afford to go for the very best names but you can still slip between the cracks if you know what you are doing and what you are looking for. You will have many misses and its a lot of work and, did I mention that drops are of much lower quality with much higher competition these days. Register and put in auction request for dropped names very carefully!!

Hopefully there is some wisdom here. Try to ignore any stupidity if I tossed some in unintentionally!

For selling your names, the article by 'HOPE' here, http://www.dnforum.com/f578/how-find-end-users-your-domains-thread-381264.html, is well worth reading. I don't agree with all of it but I got some ideas on the other hand. That is what a forum is for, of course!

Last edited:

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks DaddyHalbucks
Great Post
I believe you are correct
Right now, late February 2010 , is the time of the greatest opportunity ever, to get great Domain Names, that will become businesses with customers throughout the world
Get a good easy to remember name in your niche, apply some creativity, and you can have an international business that grows, while offline declines
And thank you Jon hall, Radioz, for setting out the fundamental steps in choosing a name

allroundguy

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Slaich!
Still here?

With all respect:
Some postings are correct - Some not.
There are no "Crappy Domains", no Crappy Cars, No Crappy Homes, No Crappy Whatever.

It is all between the ears.
It is not ---> What is item xxx "Worth?"
But it is ---> What is item xxx "Worth for You".
Most coments on domain forums are from reseller viewpoint.
End users handle usually individual criteria and don't care about third party opinions.
We should not forget that value is individual.
Whatever the price of any item in a shop, on a market, on line: The seller must create tempting conditions.
Tempting condition #1 is Not Price but Availability.
About "Crappy Domains":
Any domain can be used for anything!
Examples:
Yahoo.com: Well, we know a Yahoo is ...
Tucows.com: What is a Tucow? It is just about Two Cows ...
DogPile.com: Haha ... It works!
GoDaddy.com: Nothing about domains in the SLD, but succesful in domaining.

About archive.org:
It doesn't matter what a domain has been used for previously.
It is not the shop but current product, presentation & Price.

There are no "Crappy Domains".
The strangest character combinations have been used for successful businesses.

Here some quite easy lecture:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_value
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_market_value
Just remember the sentences about "... willing buyer" and "... without pressure".
In domain business, there's always pressure ...

To have a nice SERP for a website, plenty relevant content is necessary.
Good posts, but we must remind that what works for one does not necessarily work for somebody else.
Also, if You buy a domein + website, any modification usually changes SERP.

May I suggest to Google for: scientific domain appraisals.

Succes, all!

Last edited:

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Slaich!
Still here?

With all respect:
Some postings are correct - Some not.
There are no "Crappy Domains", no Crappy Cars, No Crappy Homes, No Crappy Whatever.

It is all between the ears.
It is not ---> What is item xxx "Worth?"
But it is ---> What is item xxx "Worth for You".
Most coments on domain forums are from reseller viewpoint.
End users handle usually individual criteria and don't care about third party opinions.
We should not forget that value is individual.
Whatever the price of any item in a shop, on a market, on line: The seller must create tempting conditions.
Tempting condition #1 is Not Price but Availability.
About "Crappy Domains":
Any domain can be used for anything!
Examples:
Yahoo.com: Well, we know a Yahoo is ...
Tucows.com: What is a Tucow? It is just about Two Cows ...
DogPile.com: Haha ... It works!
GoDaddy.com: Nothing about domains in the SLD, but succesful in domaining.

About archive.org:
It doesn't matter what a domain has been used for previously.
It is not the shop but current product, presentation & Price.

There are no "Crappy Domains".
The strangest character combinations have been used for successful businesses.

Here some quite easy lecture:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_value
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_market_value
Just remember the sentences about "... willing buyer" and "... without pressure".
In domain business, there's always pressure ...

To have a nice SERP for a website, plenty relevant content is necessary.
Good posts, but we must remind that what works for one does not necessarily work for somebody else.
Also, if You buy a domein + website, any modification usually changes SERP.

May I suggest to Google for: scientific domain appraisals.

Succes, all!

If you're trying to sell domains to resellers on a domain forum, there are crappy domains. Registering domains with no clear buyer in mind is business suicide; if you're going to reg a name, you need to know that there are multiple potential buyers that are easily identifiable and contactable.

The examples you use, godaddy, dogpile, tucows etc were crappy domains and still are - it's the website that's valuable. The domain added nothing to the success of those businesses - nothing.

You could literally register tens of thousands of such names and never sell one of them. Looking at it another way, an end user could register a similarly crappy name for reg fee and build out a fantastic business with a novel idea and a good plan - they can use any domain they like. If that business was successful it would owe nothing to that crappy domain.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The examples you use, godaddy, dogpile, tucows etc were crappy domains and still are - it's the website that's valuable. The domain added nothing to the success of those businesses - nothing.
Besides, there must be a lot of regfee domains in these... branding is an alternative when you don't want to buy on the aftermarket. Sure, you can spend a lot promoting the names but you circumvent resellers.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you're trying to sell domains to resellers on a domain forum, there are crappy domains. Registering domains with no clear buyer in mind is business suicide; if you're going to reg a name, you need to know that there are multiple potential buyers that are easily identifiable and contactable.

You could literally register tens of thousands of such names and never sell one of them. Looking at it another way, an end user could register a similarly crappy name for reg fee and build out a fantastic business with a novel idea and a good plan - they can use any domain they like. If that business was successful it would owe nothing to that crappy domain.

i feel what you're trying to say

whether a domain is crappy or not....that is subjective, though i've called them crappy myself :)

i agree when you speak about a crappy domain here:

could register a similarly crappy name for reg fee and build out a fantastic business with a novel idea and a good plan - they can use any domain they like

but i do think success can be tied to a domain, in that the domain can provide a "jump start", just from curiosity of the name or traffic it brings

true there has to be a good biz model once the visitor gets to the website, however once the biz gets successful

changing the domain name could have negative impact from reduced traffic and popularity, trust or other factors.

thus the business would owe something to the domain.

suppose google sold their domain, changed it to "jason11.com" but didn't change the name of the company from google

then everytime you type-in google, all you see was jason's domain list for sale.

i'm sure google's stock would take a hit as would any other company who's domain name is their brand or how the public associate their services with the domain .

imo...

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i feel what you're trying to say

whether a domain is crappy or not....that is subjective, though i've called them crappy myself :)

i agree when you speak about a crappy domain here:

but i do think success can be tied to a domain, in that the domain can provide a "jump start", just from curiosity of the name or traffic it brings

true there has to be a good biz model once the visitor gets to the website, however once the biz gets successful

changing the domain name could have negative impact from reduced traffic and popularity, trust or other factors.

thus the business would owe something to the domain.

suppose google sold their domain, changed it to "jason11.com" but didn't change the name of the company from google

then everytime you type-in google, all you see was jason's domain list for sale.

i'm sure google's stock would take a hit as would any other company who's domain name is their brand or how the public associate their services with the domain .

imo...

Agreed - once the business has become a success, there is value in the domain as it's inextricably linked to that business - but before the business became a success, the domain was still crap.

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
what domains have you developed into websites?

gafadi

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I started reading the thread and it turned into to a Dr.Phill show or some other domainers started a fight. People started Telling how to become closer to his father and what not. If you are in united states, if you are in any major cities ie , NYC , La , Sf , Chicago , get your ass out there and find a job, any job , burger king, mcds, if you dont find one of those, go to hard labor work such a 99 cents stores or something like that where they make you work like 10 hours and pay you likr 60-70 a day , work for 2 or 3 months . And yes if you look out you will find a job , just because the news says there is no job doesnt mean no one is hiring, yes big companies arent hiring, jobs with high wages or medium amount of wages arent hiring but low level jobs are available out there.

This experience will benefit you in 2 major ways .

First you will understand the value of money
second you will do a better domaining, if you borrow money from your dad 500-1000 , you may buy up many crap domains and then it will be waste of money and you wouldnt feel the value as much as if it was your own. But if you earned this money by working your ass off , you will make better dissensions/judgments , you will research before putting your money into the particular domains.

I am about 23 myself, I go to college at texas but currently i am at NYC to visit family , i did a year of college here too and i worked my ass off at this store , i worked 10 hours and they paid me like $65 bucks a day. It made me understand the value of money but i still made some bad investments, i am looking into web dev currently but have some domains that i will sell eventually.

And if you also work so hard believe me your dad will also understand that you have grown up , he will possibly help then too.

And lastly sorry if my English is bad.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Listen guys no disrespect but there are tools and tricks out there which could make you a minimum of $50k per year with domains just a simple buy and sell method,the problem is that the guys making that cash are not gonna be on any forum spouting there mouth off about it,simple as that imho !

axeman

The One and Only
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lets keep it real here, you are trying to sell "3ddomains.net" and you are blaming your father for this?

You need to have a very very long hard look at yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom